1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

38 with 3 children wanting to study medicine

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by Mina242, Jan 6, 2017.

?

Start studies at 38 plus 3 young kids?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mina242

Mina242 New Member

Hi all,
    Thank you for the insightful posts.
    Background: good gsse/a-levels plus a-level biology plus degree 2.1 in Bsc Computer Studies.

I am looking at a career change from IT into medicine, ultimately I don't have much family and was utterly bored with IT. I've had a health scare last year which perhaps has made me realise I'd like to look into this properly.

I would really love to study medicine with a view to become a medical professional.

I live in Essex but just do not know where to begin...
    1) do I contact all universities within driving/travelling distance to see what their entry criteria?
    2) also contact teaching hosptials?
    3) anything else?

I'm an only child with a supportive husband plus 3 young children. Couple with the debts with studying this may seem impossible but life is just tooo short (lived with my dads Hodgkins lymphoma from young age)

Thanks

2. ajax

ajax Member

Hi

Your motivation is commendable, and if you have your heart set on becoming a doctor then you shouldn't let anything stand in your way.

First I would recommend answering a few questions for yourself:

- Where are you likely to study? If you know that there is absolutely no way that you will relocate from where you are living, then it simply doesn't make sense to even think about anywhere other than within a fixed radius of where you are. Don't waste your time or anyone else's.
    - How much study work are you willing to take on? If you and your partner think that between you, you can cope with the demands of a full-time medical education plus have three small children, then you should do it.
    - How attractive of a candidate are you? Based on the programmes that you are interested in, are you likely to have a shot at getting in right now? Or will you need to undertake specific activities (shadowing, volunteering, etc.) to bolster your portfolio? If so, how much of a toll is that going to take on your life whilst you don't even have a position guaranteed yet?

As for the debt, only you can say which levels work best for you. I wouldn't say that a career in medicine is the best-remunerated position, but it is stable and can be extremely well paid in senior positions.

Best of luck to you.

3. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I agree with what Ajax says. But will add, do seriously consider if this is a whim to escape IT. I made the Jump at the same age. It's a slog, and quiet lonely, as there are few your age doing it.

I don't regret it (yet) but I have always wanted this, and felt forced to take another route when I failed GCSE English, due to my dyslexia.

So that no about your motivations, and how much you're willing to sacrifice. If it still seems right, get that work experience and go for it.

The WE is not just to show your commitment, but for you to get a better understanding off the reality of what your seeking.