1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A levels !!! :)

Discussion in 'A-Levels' started by piratesandpearls, Jun 26, 2008.

1. piratesandpearls

piratesandpearls New Member

hey all !

I have heard a rumour that the marking scheme for AS levels are going to be changed. A*'s are going to be introduced. Does anybody know if this is true ?

2. Kit Kat

Kit Kat New Member

yeah unfortunately itz true either they are introduced nxt year(when i do A-levels !!)or the year after either way i think we just escaped them as they are too new for a uni to put A*s in their offers but those doin GCSE will have a problem. Personally i think its stupid!!
    :)

3. Kirsty_B5

Kirsty_B5 New Member

I have just finished doing my GCSEs and am actually quite excited about going on to do A Levels. However, i feel there is already an extreme pressure on me to get A* in my A Levels now in order to get into my preffered Med schools.

Does anyone know if Universities, such as Cambridge will be changing there requirements to A*s now for the people applying of year 2010? Thank you :)

4. piratesandpearls

cambridge

:confused:most probably as it is just replacing the A . So it may change to A*A*A.

Bloody hell that sounds pretty daunting !

5. Kirsty_B5

Kirsty_B5 New Member

Yeah...very daunting. You have to get 270/300 at AS to be in with a chance, which is 90% +

6. Hendo_08

Hendo_08 New Member

Yes if you look on the AQA website 2009 is the last year that the AEA is available because after that .e.g 2010 they are introducing A* at AS Level which indicates passing the AS level with 90%+ or as kirsty said 270+/300. The idea is to make A levels more discriminating without leaving it to an exam like the AEA which not everyone is able to take. And entry requirement probably won't change till 2011 entry because the first year that A levels with a A* grade can be issued is June 2010

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2420-W-SP-10.PDF

so glad that i am 08 entry cos the AEA was hard and that thort of having to do that without the choice is scary :confused::mad:

7. Kirsty_B5

Kirsty_B5 New Member

Ok, thanks for the info and link hendo. I am still going to try my hardest to get at least one A* even if its not a requirement for 2010 because it would just be awsome :)

Yes, i heard of the AEA but i don't think my school does them so the new A* grade is a new way of distinguishing the top say 5% (?) of the country from the rest.

8. Hardrada

Hardrada New Member

I'm pretty convinced that A*s will not apply to AS-Levels. They will only apply to a whole A-Level.

That is to say, to gain an A* you will need 270+/300 in your A2 modules and a total of 480 UMS overall.

As such, someone could obtain 180 UMS (a borderline C) at AS-Level and then 300 at A2 and emerge with an A* (480 UMS total). Whilst someone else could get 300/300 at AS and 269/300 at A2 (569 UMS total) and gain 'only' an A. The idea is to reward those who cope well with the harder A2 units.

The % of people getting A*s is probably going to be even lower than 5%. Most medschools will not offer on A*s, I believe. Although Cambridge may consider (in a few years time) asking for A*AA.

9. Kirsty_B5

Kirsty_B5 New Member

Thanks hardrada, what you say sounds right to me as on the OCR spec for the new A Levels it says something along the lines of
    'A* will not be awarded at AS Level'

So, yes, it seems to be a reward for high A2 module scores :)

Thats good to know that A* wont be a requirement although you clearly will have an advantage over someone with an A :)

10. Kirsty_B5

Kirsty_B5 New Member

Do any of you know about this 'multiplier effect' Cambridge uses when looking at the number of A* you get at GCSE.

I go to a state school where i am likely to achive results in the top 10 as most people at the school find it hard to scrap 5 C's

So, if i got 5 A*'s for example, with this multiplier thing, would my A* numbers 'go up' in Cambridges view?

Thanks.

11. nd1008

nd1008 New Member

Yes.

Not for A-levels though.

12. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

Hardrada is quite right.. it works on A2 modules (although i'm getting conflicting answers whether its 90% in all or 90% average) only, and in answer to your question Kirsty - if *Cambridge* think your school is sufficiently shit, that figure could go up (the max is 8, i doubt you'd get 5->8 though).

Bear in mind GCSE score is but one column in their med quota applicant consideration table, last time i saw it.

13. Kirsty_B5

Kirsty_B5 New Member

Thanks Singh.Simran, i am hoping my GCSE's will be good enough considering the fact that for some of the subjects i have basically self taught due to some of the teaching.

Uni's only look at the top 8 GCSE's right when working out the points? So i am hopoing i get 7 A*s, i would be so proud of myself :D

Yes, they also score you on extra curricular, interview, PS, voluntary work etc.

14. benneh

benneh New Member

im unsure about this. surely they would want 540/600 total over the two years for an A*, i.e. average 90%?

only needing 270/300 during the second A2 year for the A* would be a bit of a cop out

15. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

Benneh, it's definately right. It's meant to reward people clever enough to do well at the harder parts of the course and not really care hwo you do elsewhere - though you still need an A average at least.

16. piratesandpearls

Like Kirsty i hope i get atleast 1 A* A level ! It would be great ! :)

17. benneh

benneh New Member

thats strange. so aslong as you get 270/300 in the A2 year, you get the A* grade, even if the average is say 485/600?

i totally disagree with that, but there you go

18. Kirsty_B5

Kirsty_B5 New Member

Well, i am totally confused about the requirements for an A*. So many ideas from different people!

All i can say is i am just going to do my best like everyone else and if i deserve an A*, i will get one :D

If anyone can clarify the whole 'What is needed for an A*?' question, please enlighten me :)

19. piratesandpearls

wooooooooooop ! :) i for once started a useful thread ! :D

20. Hughman

Hughman New Member

I heard the A* only applies for the A2 mark.
    As for Cambridge, they are going to ask for 1 A* to begin with, then see whether to increase it or keep it at that.