1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Access to Medicine Web sites

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by Tangliss, Dec 11, 2003.

1. JulieJenkins

JulieJenkins New Member

I need some information

Hello:

I would like to know how can I study medicine in the UK; I don't have any qualifications in the UK, execpt for my high school in my country. I don't have any A levels, but also I ma studying an ESOL course in the UK.

What can I do?

Also what hava to do a qualified nurse to became a doctor?

Thank you so much for youe help!!;) :D

2. JulieJenkins

JulieJenkins New Member

I need some information

Hello:

I would like to know how can I study medicine in the UK; I don't have any qualifications in the UK, execpt for my high school in my country. I don't have any A levels, but also I am studying an ESOL course in the UK.

What can I do?

Also what hava to do a qualified nurse to became a doctor?

Thank you so much for youe help!!;) :D

3. Proteuspal

Proteuspal New Member

Hello, i am currently studying pharmacy. I wish to study med however. Is it true that with a masters degree i can study at sheffield, queen mary, nottingham, warwick. Apparently i have heard i need a 2;2.
    IS THIS TRUE??
    Thanks

4. Akhan

Akhan New Member

Does anyone know anything about going to Ukrain/russia fo medicine.

5. Sportygirl2008

Sportygirl2008 New Member

i think its five..

6. CatherineT

CatherineT New Member

hey guys- am a grad applying for GEP and Foundation year courses, but obv will have 2 choices left on ucas form- do you guys know what the score will be about applying for access courses- can they go on as well as the 4 clinical- and what way does the deadline work- if i submit before the 15th Oct, can i then add two on at a later date - thanks, is just this is the first i've been aware of this route, and any help would be appreciated- I applied last year, so am getting desperate-if I could get onto an access course even if not onto a Med course, it'd be somethng!

7. TAR!

TAR! New Member

8. xx-emz-xx

xx-emz-xx New Member

perth college do a course "HNC Applied Sciences (pathway to medicine option)" there are only 5 available places for the pathway option and st andrews interview you for the course.

minimum age is 21, applicant must not have had any university education or wihin their immediate family... take a look at their site..

Perth College :: Welcome

i start in august cant wait!!! :D

9. miqbal

miqbal New Member

If you have a degree in Midwifery would you need to do any access courses?

10. xx-emz-xx

xx-emz-xx New Member

u tried contacting any uni's and asking them what they accept?

11. miqbal

miqbal New Member

I have been looking at a few uni's but not many of them accept it for the 4 year degree. Not contacted any of them in person though. I'm still doing my training so probably will do nearer the time.

12. lwlw

lwlw New Member

hello every one

hi iam 24 years old and been in uk for 5 years done no formal eduction here , but do have my GCES's AND Alevel's from back home. please i need your help what do i need to get??would direct me into medicen ???

is it that i need to do an access to science then apply for access to Medecin ??? AM I RIGHT ??

pleaseeeeee if you could advice me

P.S i hope iam not to old to do medicen

13. giella

giella New Member

You're never too old to do medicine. If you have A levels already, you may be eligible to go straight into access to medicine. However, they like to see that you have some background in health care, or some experience relevant to medicine.

14. sandorbone

sandorbone New Member

There is a quality university in Hungary the University of Debrecen Medical School. It takes international students as well. Very strict uni but the degree absolutely recognised.

contact me if you need more information

15. Charlie J

Charlie J Member

Hi Guys, sorry had a quick flick through,

Who's applied to where? Ive applied to MANCAT and COWA so far as well as the pre-med course at lancaster uni whihc takes you onto the lancaster med course and a lucky few to liverpool, and then the course at Bradford Clinical Sciences for leeds so yeah thats it for me

How old is everyone because i feel quite young at 18...sorry if some of you are also young, its jsut the feel i get, quite a few people swapping professions but as someone said up there your never too old for medicine!

And i guess maybe we'll have an advantage when it comes to looking for jobs as Doctors as were possibly gonna be a bit more mature and we can prove we have the determination! i KNow a consulatnt who only in her early 30's (yes! a consultant already) and got rejected from medical school 3 times!

just goes to show...
    xxx

16. giella

giella New Member

Did you do all arts and humanities at A level?

17. Charlie J

Charlie J Member

No no, i did Biology, Chemistry at first but swapped it for Health and Social Care, Politics and theatre Studies

I know whats comming next trust me ive heard it before....

"if you coudlnt do it then what makes you think you can do it again"

Well, i didnt miss out by that much for the ABB i needed and at the time i was unaware i had learning difficulties even thought i knew somethign was wrong then i went for the bangor test etc etc and college gave me loadsa help and im near enough gettin my head around that one now, I also exceeded some peoples UCKAT scores who got 3 A's at a level so i thinkt he intelligence is there, its jsut the learning and gettin it down onto paper part!

Its very very very frustrating. :(

Sorry if that sounded really defensive i do apologise!!! Im just used to sticking up for myself in taht area...

Sorry!!!

:)
    x

18. giella

giella New Member

Well, the fact you had an offer from manchester was like a red flag to me. Access courses are not intended for failed science A level students and they make it very clear on their admissions policies. You're not so that's all fine.

19. Charlie J

Charlie J Member

Well i suppose i am failed to be fair but ive still been given an interview...uii guess because theyre looking at it from the point of view i dd the wrong mix of subjects....it does say on some for people who took the wrong mix of subjects at Alevel and changed their mind towards the end...seems to be working so far anyway!

ARe you at COWA thn or applying?

Hows it going?

20. Airtones

Airtones New Member

Access isn't really supposed to ameliorate for insufficient grades first time round. And ideally you'd want AAA rather than ABB for most courses.