1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on constructing a Personal Statement and Referee info

Discussion in 'Personal Statements and UCAS forms' started by Kev, Jul 3, 2004.

1. ScarTissue

ScarTissue New Member

Thanks hoonosewot :) I was thinking along those lines too, but there's so little space.. i have no idea idea how i'm gonna fit everything i want in. I suppose i'm gonn ahave to spare a few characters on the 'why uk' bit. Better to put it in than not it seems..

2. becky1

becky1 New Member

I have a 2 year old daughter with cystic fibrosis who i care for. would it be worth mentioning this on my PS? (she is the reason i decided i want to study medicine and become a doctor.)

thanks becky

3. iheartmedicine

iheartmedicine New Member

Becky,
    If that informs your motivation to be a doctor I would think that it should be integrated into your personal statement for sure. I think that is a wonderful reason to want to study medicine. You could talk about from first-hand experience.

4. interjection

interjection New Member

hey guys,
    Just looking for some advice for my ps. Im finding it hard to talk about myself in a way thats...well-not pure waffle!
    Some of the advice sites I've been on suggest an opening statement that is somewhat eye-catching, however i'm an international GEP applicant, a predicted 1st in bioscience, very little experience and soon to be dodgy UKCAT scores- so do ye think I should stick to professional academic driven statement? or a mix with personal attributes?:confused:

5. latestarter

latestarter New Member

best question I have ever been asked is "why do you want to be a doctor?" and be able to be personal...
    this is what I have now included; based on my personal experience of healthcare, both patient and professional - I know my vocation.
    For me it's been a very long journey...

if it's academics that drives you, then there's no harm showing your passion for that side of medicine (you may just have to be selective as to who you apply to).
    For example, St. Georges and Leicester both state that you must have a considerable amount of experience in healthcare - paid or unpaid.

6. interjection

interjection New Member

cheers-
    thats a great intro. yeah im pretty sure georges and leicester dont take internationals for GEP, my fingers are crossed for imperial and warwick. im thinking kings might be too ambitious though.
    I have a lot of pharmacy assistant experience. think that counts?

7. sukh21

sukh21 New Member

The emphasis for Oxbridge applications is the academic aspect of medicine. At other universities, however, they understand that a robot with good grades does not equal a good doctor so they want more of a mix. You're on the right lines. You ought to do a bit of soul-searching. What is it about Medicine that makes you want to put yourself through decades of hell?

8. sukh21

sukh21 New Member

Oh, one more thing. For all those people out there who think that you need to have spent every waking moment since the age of 4 in a hospital in order to fulfill work experience requirements my answer is this....Absolute rubbish (didn't want to swear...someone might get offended). I only did 1 week of work experience in a hospital and I got 3 offers to study medicine this year. As long as you do some sort of experience with the sick you'll be fine. I would recommend that you follow the old adage 'quality and not quantity.' You have to come up with some worthwhile reflections on what was so special about your experiences. In my case I worked with a schizophrenic (so spelt that wrong) who thought he was Batman; it made for an interesting true story and the admissions tutors remembered it.

9. maccy79

maccy79 New Member

Hi,

Any body getting people to check over their personal statement? I found that most people working in health professions are willing to help. If you are struggling try Medicorrect - but these do charge.

m

10. Drneuro

Drneuro New Member

I was thinking of just asking some people on here lol... =)

11. rachg08

rachg08 New Member

Hi this is probs not the right thread to post this q, but just to clarify...when you are in ucas track and click on 'view all' (of your application), is it normal to not be able to see your reference? My referee details are there but not the reference.

12. rush919

rush919 New Member

Yeah thats how it should be as references are meant to be private from the candidate.

13. wannabemedic321

wannabemedic321 New Member

What did you have for extra-curriculars?

14. heatherb

heatherb New Member

Hi all

I'm a prospective 2011 applicant for GEM - hoping to sit both UKCAT and GAMSAT. With regards to personal statement and reference, I'm not entirely sure who to approach. My uni tutor would probably complete this and I've had a strong working relationship with her for 4 years (she is a clinical psychologist). Would this be appropriate?

I'm also slightly unsure whether to put in my PS that one of my main motivations for pursuing a postgraduate career in medicine has been drawn from the experience of caring for my dad, who suffered from terminal cancer and passed away last June. The care he received, the dedication and passion of the medical team inspired me to seek a career where my knowledge could be used in a way that impacts the care of other people in a positive way - even when the situation is far from positive. I think having a grounding in psychology has benefitted me, as learning about people - what makes us tick and why we behave the way we do would be beneficial to a career in medicine, particularly as people are at the heart of medical practice.

Basically I'm worried about writing a rubbish PS and would like some advice from previous applicants as to what is appropriate to include etc.

Thanks,
    H :)

15. birduk

birduk New Member

Wow H, that sounds like a brilliant thing to be putting in your PS. It is quite emotional, but quite right to put. Although take my advice with a pinch of salt, as I am applying now.

Thanks for the useful information re referees, I have sent it on to my University tutor- H I am sure they recommend your most recent academic supervisor fill this in, so that sounds like the right thing to do.

16. garlicbreadman

garlicbreadman New Member

I can't remember whether it was even on this forum, but ages ago I found a list of useful/good words for the personal statement.

Does anyone have a list?

17. cookie_monster

cookie_monster New Member

To anyone writing personal statements - the most useful piece of advice anyone gave me was this:

Don't write a list of what w/e you have, how many things you have done, how many brownie points you have. Write instead what you have learnt from these experiences about the profession, what attributes you have gained/improved through your involvement in them, and how this will help you achieve your goals.

This can be applied to any form of application, CV etc, and in general, if you mention something you've done, mention what you've got from it.

This advice helped me massively when writing my statement!

Good Luck to you all, and I'll happily help out with statements!

18. thomp

thomp New Member

Does anyone have any tips on how to start off your PS? I've read that it's best to open with a sentence that is eye catching, and it's pretty obvious that this would set you apart from the competition.

The problem I'm finding, though, is how do you go about putting in a sentence that makes someone wants to read on. The vast majority of people will put something like "I have wanted to study medicine for x amount of years" or "I want to be a doctor because..." and it just sounds so cliche... so is there anything in particular that would be a good place to start with this?

19. Dr Freddy

Dr Freddy New Member

Hi,

I am applying for GEPs 2011. I finished uni in Egypt 3 years ago. I am really confused about whom to choose as my reference. I have a few choices which I feel are not that strong:
    My uni lecturer (knows how committed am I, but doesn't know any thing so far about my application to medicine-I haven't met her around 2 years ago-she is in Egypt)
    my previous employer (who already wrote my last year's reference) he is not that accessible now and does not have much insight into my academic capabilities
    a consultant surgeon with whom I have done a work placement for a couple of weeks (not too long)
    voluntry work supervisor (who arranged two voluntary work placements for me)

After the changes on 5th October, does the referee answer specific questions about me, or still construct his own reference?

I need advice urgently-Does the reference affect my application greatly? what if my referee wasn't a fabulous writer??

Help please-sorry for my many questions

thanks

20. lauraebanks

lauraebanks New Member

Hi,
    I'll be applying for a place in 2013, and i finished uni two years ago and moved half way across the world now so i'm not sure if my old tutors would remember/ know enough about me to have just one person write my ref, can you have more than one person? or are you allowed to advise your tutor on what to write?
    thanks guys,