1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on constructing a Personal Statement and Referee info

Discussion in 'Personal Statements and UCAS forms' started by Kev, Jul 3, 2004.

1. mcespi

mcespi New Member

hello,i am just finishing up my Nursing Degree and going to apply for 2013 entry but i dont know how i can academically justify why Medicineand not Nursing. finding it quite hardto put pen to paper as ifeel like i really want it to stand out so as to have a chanceof getting an interview cos my ukcat results are pathetic to say the least.any help or advise will be welcomed.

2. new2newmedia

new2newmedia New Member

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "academically justify".

Certainly it's traditional at least to spend a good chunk explaining why you want to study medicine. To ask an obvious question, why do you want to study medicine? Was there a defining moment?

Forgive the cynicism here but if you want to "stand out" then I'd advise being very honest, open and avoid using all the vomit in mouth jargon "being vice milk monitor supervisor facilitated the advancement of my leadership and communication skills" etc. Personally I took a gamble and told more of a story about why now but not then, being quite honest that I'm not a "natural" scientist nor did I have the self confidence at 18. Up to you hos safe you want to play it.

Good luck!

3. mcespi

mcespi New Member

what i meant was that i wanted tosound more professional cos i spoke tosome med students and they all saying that i shouldnt put emotional things cos i felt like i was not smart enough to study med when i was younger and studying nursing and being on of the best students in my cohort due to constant hardwork on my part has showed me that i can do med if i keep on applying my self. i feel thats too soppy.thanks for ur advice even with the cynicism...:)

4. new2newmedia

new2newmedia New Member

Hi mcespi,

Well, it’s your personal statement, so you need to be happy with it when it goes off. No doubt you’ll get lots of opinions that drag you in opposing directions – I certainly did!

I can see why lots of people don’t make it too emotional or emotional at all but remember, you’re going to be up against people who have amazing academic records and my impression is that lots of personal statements are interchangeable; they all use the same phrases “communication skills”, “working in an interdisciplinary environment”, “reflecting on my own practice” etc and all have the same reserved formal tone. Essentially, they are anything but personal.

Now if you go for a schmaltz overload, then that will probably do you no favours but I think a little bit of emotion and story telling would give it an edge. The more true to yourself you are, the easier you’ll find it to talk about yourself and your statement if/when you go to interviews. On a “pop psychology level” as people we are much less rational than we like to think and love story telling so I think it’s worth the punt – especially if you want to stand out rather than blend in.

Good luck, you’ve certainly got plenty of time to get it right. Oh, just as a word of warning, your reference on your UCAS form has to be done before it can be sent off – ambiguous on the UCAS website and almost stopped me getting my form off on time!