Ambulance technician / paramedic

Zedd

Not only do you need one you also need a catagory C1 license or to at least have a provisional C1 license with the view of getting the full classification.

whatamess

How are people doing in their aims to become a tech.

Its nearly a year since getting accepted and have still not started!!! Could not get me on a tech course because they were all full?????? Finally get offered a place for the new post of emergency care support worker! They wanted me to go to the isle of wight!! I did tell them to poke it as it over 5 hours away from home. Then I get offered Maidstone but was not given a months notice that I need to give my current employer.

Then find out they started a course in the new year at Manston, boy was I a bit pissed when I found out that as it is 5 minutes from me.

Got a call on Friday to offer me a place in Maidstone starting in April but I might have to retake my fitness as it has been so long. The next available fitness assessment is in Chertsey Station which is a couple of hours away.

They are going to send me all the gumph out. I am probably not going to do it now if they cannot get it together to get staff on courses it does not bode well for the job.

I asked a friend who is a tech about the general feeling for the new post (ecsw) and its not to good. Glorified driver is one term I have seen used.

Good luck All.

samoan

Hey whatamess,

Yeah sounds like you have experienced the sharp end of ambulance organisation. And believe me it only gets better, he he :). Just to say that if you want to PM me about anything ambo career related I'd be happy to tell you as much as I can.

I have been a tech for the last few years (for SWAST) and am currently based in Cornwall. I have also recently been involved in my final paramedic training. However for a few reasons now I've decided on a bit of a career change and am starting medicine at Southampton in September :) But obviously I have worked a lot with ECA's etc.

Anyhows if I can help, let me know!!

whatamess

Hi samoan,

the sharp end of the service is about right. lol. Loving your career change. What area of medicine you wanting to go into?

Will let you know what the gumph says, suspect the pay is even worse than trainee tech.

Will not be able to afford it if thats the case. HoHum

samoan

Well the ECA's in our trust are on band 3, and I suspect that it is a national thing i.e. cheap techs to save money! But there has recently been a national review of the ECA role and people are currently awaiting the results to be published. I believe that apparently out of the 3 trusts that took them on as a pilot scheme, 2 have ditched the process (don't trust me on that though, can't confirm it!). There is currently talk of providing some sort of conversion course to put them back upto a tech level, but its all just talk at the moment... Band 3 however is definately the pay for them down this way (techs being on band 4).

Let me know how it goes mate...

whatamess

Cheers samoan, had another call today have got to redo the fitness and have phone interview with atos for medical!! What a pain in the ass.

Band 3 starts at £12k p/a net, thats the flat rate, really need to know a take home with all the extras on it. The flat rate is to big a pay cut for me. When do you go to uni?

samoan

I'm afraid that its typical ambulance organisation! For example on the paramedic course before mine, a few of the guys found out that their pre-para assessment date was over a year old and so they were forced to do all the assessments again (when thay were in the middle of the course). Seems crazy to me! Ah well, there we go!

Basically other than overtime (which varies in quantity loads between months, depending on sickness etc), the only real 'extras' you will get on top of the basic salary will be your unsocial hours enhancement (upto 25% extra). The amount you get is dependant on what rota is run on your station, luckily my station is 25% so me and the other staff get the full whack, I know other stations can be on 21% or even lower (although unusal as its so busy now). Obviously the extra money comes with loads of night and weekend shifts, it actually never seems to stop :( As the number of years you've been working for increase, you additionally will jump up the increments within band 3, until you reach the top or train as a tech or para.

Oh and just thought I'd point out that there is some opportunity for advancement to para from ECA now. Several of my mates are doing the OU distance learning para degree (4 years), with some even getting the trust to fund it! Obviously 4 years is a long time, but at least you get there in the end, and seeing how messed up the tech-to-para process is at the mo, there prob won't be much in it!

Oh and I start uni in Sept, just waiting to see if Cardiff might be interested in me before I commit :)

Frank E

Locally there are radio and press advertisements.
Try to enter at the lowest rung and you might just stay there.

bcf&gloves

Hi All

I've just had physcometric tests with NWAS and passed these and now moved on to the next part which is the fitness test and driving. I've got C1 classification on my driving licence already, does anyone know what the driving test involves? Same with the fitness?

Thanks in advance!

B&G

Aprillou

Advice

Hey everyone I was looking for some advice rather than making a new thread I thought Id ask here, I am currently sitting my driving lessons for C1 and D1 and I have registered as a first responder in my local area is there anything else I can do to improve my chances I did'nt do well at school with my standard grades I dont have a science subject I done well in English an Geography but not in maths

Thanks April

samoan

Well you've already done some of the main things. The first responding is a very good way to start to find out if that is what you want to do. Make sure you take as many opportunities as possible to do some third-manning with the crews, its a easy and useful way to get exposure to the jobs and get your face known to the local crews. You could also consider some Red cross or St Johns volunteering, but thats obviously your choice and is dependant on time you can devote etc? Just show your interested and get out on those ambo's basically..

Educational wise, I'm not sure what the requirements are for ECA positions? But there are several guys on my station who don't have much in the way of that and they all got in :)

Aprillou

Sorry me again lol just a update I passed my two theory tests last week :D just got the lessons and tests next month anyways a job has came up in the service I have applied for but it is 40 miles away does anyone know if the service has a cut off distance for applications they receive :confused: ta

April

samoan

My service doesn't have a cutoff distance, you can commute from as far as you like but you will obviously have to be realistic if you could drive for best part of couple hours each way. Could be real difficult, patic if you get a late job and over-run and then have to be back 12 hours later for the next days shift. :( Of course you could always ask to transfer closer to home once your qualified, but most trusts ask for a minimium period of time at your initial station before you can put in a transfer request. Your have to check your trusts position in it.

When I first joined I got sent to Dartmouth in S Devon (lived in Cornwall) and I went for it. Got a little flat to crash in when I was on my run of shifts and then came back home for my days off. Did that for a year before I managed to transfer back down to Cornwall. It was difficult, but worth it for me to get into the service!

Basically just have to decide what is realistic for you, moving to a new area could be a good adventure? :D

DivingDiva

Hi All

This is my first post as I stumbled across the forum trying to research the position of Student Ambulance Paramedic.

I currently work as a Flight Attendant but want to change my career path into a career with a future. I'm 26 years old and want to settle into a job and the airline industry is never going to be "settled"! I've always thought about the emergency services but never explored it for whatever reason.

I don't have a degree in Paramedic Science and can not afford to not work while studying so the option of Student Paramedic would be amazing for me. I'm hoping to find someone who has been here before and can give me any advice in how frequently the recruit, competitiveness of applications, how long it takes for them to get back to you and getting a position at a Ambulance Station.... any information would be great!!!

Look forward to hopefully hearing from someone!!!

Thanks
Abby

Nonnaray

Urgent Help With Maths Test!!!!

Hi everyone,

I have applied for Student Paramedic with LAS and have just received my assessment date... a week on Saturday, thanks for the advance notice! I am now stressing about the maths test. I passed the assessment process about 7 years ago without any prep but this time I'm not leaving it to chance.

Any info from anyone??

Thanks

Janiegotagun

Hi all, I'm in the process of going through the tests for East of England Ambulance Service. I've done the Maths, English, Dictation, Fitness, Interview and Driving tests and got through all those. I now have the manual dexterity and a further Occupational Health test. I know the OH is in part blood tests but I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me what else is entailed. Also, the manual dexterity test as I seem so near I'm scared of messing it up at this stage!

Oh and Diving Diva - I think my Mum knows someone who knows your Mum, she said that someone who lived in our area who used to be an air hostess just started her training, I'm assuming it's you so many congrats!!!