Ambulance technician / paramedic

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by eupharies, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Janiegotagun

Janiegotagun New Member

Hi, my mum told me about you - I think she knows a member of your family! She mentioned an ex air hostess just beginning her training course - am I right in thinking it's you? Jane.

2. DivingDiva

DivingDiva New Member

Jane - congrats on getting through! Very jealous! Unfortunately, its not me! I'm still Trolley Dolley'ing at the moment but its a popular career change so not surprised to hear of another Flight Attendant moving into the paramedics.

I'm still eager to apply for the position of Student Paramedic but need to wait till they start advertising. Any insider knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

Best of luck with OH Test & Manual Dexterity Test - I'm sure you'll breeze through them!

Abby

3. Janna

Janna New Member

Ambulance Care Assistant versus Healthcare Assistant

How strange! I'm also a Flight Attendant with Virgin Atlantic looking to get into the ambulance service! I've recently taken part time and can't currently afford to start uni (I understand you're not entitled to any grants due to earning money in your 2nd and 3rd years?)
    Instead, I've just secured a job as a Healthcare Assistant in the GI ward of my local hospital. I also have an interview for Ambulance Care Assistant. If I'm lucky enough to get it does anyone know which position would be more advantageous when joining the ambulance service?
    Thanks guys!

4. Haydn

Haydn New Member

London Ambulance recruitment process

Hey,

I have recently been shortlisted in the hope of becoming a student paramedic with London Ambulance. If anybody could share any experiences or tell me what to expect in the assessment tests and or interview process it would be much appreciated.

5. WannaBeEMD

WannaBeEMD New Member

Emergency medical dispatch interview & assesments

Hi Guys,

I've just been shortlisted by SECAMB to attend interview and assessments for the role of trainee resource/emergency medical dispatcher (working in control taking 999 calls and dispatching ambulances etc) and wanted to be as fully prepared for the day as possible.

If anyone could shed some light on what to expect in the interview and tests that would be much apprecitaed!

Thanks! :)

6. DivingDiva

DivingDiva New Member

And the plot thickens.....

Hi All,

Well I wrote on this forum a few months back about wanting to become a paramedic and knowing the best ways of going about it.

I currently work as I Flight Attendant and am eager to "grow up" and create a bit more of a stable life for myself so to speak but want to do something that:

1) has a meaning it to
    2) isn't a normal 9-5
    3) something that will be a continuous learning process
    4) has opportunities
    5) that actually interests me.....

Well the only position that matched all 5 was the Ambulance Service so I waited & applied when a Student Paramedic position became open in my area. Application submitted and now they've invited me to the initial assessment that includes written assessments involving numeracy test, literacy test and dictation test. I'm the type of person that works great "off the cuff" so to speak but I don't want to put anything to chance with this opportunity, so would be hugely grateful if anyone could tell me about the process and what the following stages maybe if I pass the initial assessment.

Thank you to all for reading and best of luck to all those who are applying for positions!

Abby

7. dan219

dan219 New Member

Do You Want To Be A Paramedic?

Hi Guys,

I have been reading some posts on here some new, some old regarding some of you wanting to join the ambulance service.

I made the tough decision to leave the airline industry and its perks for the role of a Paramedic and it is one of the best decisions ever made.

After reading some of your posts I see some of you are having problems in deciding to join or finding ways to join the services.

Each university/ambulance service works slightly different and I work very closely with a lot of them during their application period to select their new admissions.

If ANY of you are struggling or would like some one2one advice then please don't hesitate to get in touch dan219@tesco.net and I will do my best to advise you on each of the uni courses and the best way to apply etc.

GOOD LUCK and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dan

8. anyadvicewelcome

anyadvicewelcome New Member

Hi
    I'm new to all this...I have always dreamed of being a paramedic but can't afford to go to uni for the degree as I'm now 32 and married with a mortgage...! I have applied to LAS as A&E support and they have now contacted me to invite me for an assessment, could anyone give me a few pointers on what's going to be asked/happen etc so that I can prepare myself?
    many thanks

9. blueberrypie

blueberrypie Member

I am not sure how much things have changed, but years back I applied to become an LAS technician, and also had to sit assessments. I had to do a numeracy and literacy test (nothing too complex), I was in a room of people who were shown how to assemble an entenox cylinder (they demonstrated once, then the class took it in turns) and then I had to do a moving and handling assessment and lift a 7.5 stone dummy up the stairs with another candidate on a carry chair. After passing that, I was invited for a medical and a driving test which was in a minibus sized vehicle. I didn't actually carry through at that point, but I did consider putting it off for a while and coming back to it later, as I had a few things going on at that time.

I don't know how much things have changed, but I wish you well. I am sure you will be fab :) Good luck x

10. dan219

dan219 New Member

Not sure if it is you who has emailed me already but I have replied if so.......

Also I would definitely say that although you have a mortgage etc I would apply for the university route and find alternative work as you study. Many private ambulance firms take on students as they realise its regular staffing for them. In and around London there are many private firm.

Working directly with the ambulance service will drastically slow down your career as everything takes so much longer internally as the staff that have been employed previous to you must go through training first, imagine how many that is!

If you are not interested in becoming a Paramedic then you can ignore my university advice and carry on as A/E support etc.

Good Luck!

11. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

AAW

If you are willing to consider the Uni Route, PM me and I can put you in contact with some of my colleagues who run the Paramedic Foundation Degree course here at SGUL. We do a good proportion of the external training for LAS and SECAM.

Marty

12. blueberrypie

blueberrypie Member

actually I disagree with this negative comment at the end. I just checked today and the LAS still do the old progression route and training route that they previously used to without university training, for transition between technician to paramedic. I would also like to mention that I lost my house through becoming a university student, so you have to work out how viable things are for your individual circumstances. Things may work out better for you and I wish you all the best

13. anyadvicewelcome

anyadvicewelcome New Member

Hi I have been short-listed for assessment next week can anyone spread some light on what to expect / what I might need to brush up on?

Many Thanks

14. whatamess

whatamess New Member

Stumbled across this old thread when looking for something else. :)

How did people get on how is uni samoan?

I gave up with the whole ecsw/tech thing in the finish. The person that was supposed to be leading my recruitment left and he never passed my file on!!
    Went into retail for a bit but have got an interview for MCA in my local hospital today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats how I found this thread. :) Doing my pre interview research. x;)

15. jimmymedic

jimmymedic New Member

Hi Folks!

Thread has evolved as much as the Ambulance Service recruitment process has ;)

2 main routes into the Ambulance Service (at the time of me posting this).

(i) University (2-4) years as far as I know.
    (ii) Ambulance service training through "in-house" training approved by the HPC or by something like the part time OU course.

I got this info from: Paramedic Resource

There also seems to be a "Become a paramedic" guide.

All changed since I joined ;-)

16. Chloe K

Chloe K New Member

Hello, everyone!

Does anyone know what the likelihood of getting a job will be after doing a paramedic science course at uni?
    I have looked on NHS jobs website and at the moment there are 31 jobs for nurses and nothing for paramedics!!
    I really hope there will actually be some jobs to apply for if I do the course.

Thanks
    Chloe.

17. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Pretty high I believe. As part of the new funding rules all the courses will have to publish employability stats , so you should be able to see this soon yourself.

18. Chloe K

Chloe K New Member

hi!

Thanks for your reply Martigan, very helpful. I will keep a look out for these stats :D

Chloe

19. whatamess

whatamess New Member

This thread does plod along at a slow old pace doesn't it. lol.

I got my mca job :)) love it. Would not of said that the first week though!!! Soooooooo much to learn.

Just had a quick look on nhs re para there is nothing this side of the uk is there.

Good luck if you do the course they must have to recruit at some point.

Like the idea of displaying the stats it will make the unis wake up a bit.

20. samoan

samoan New Member

Hey guys, sorry only just remembered about this site earlier today. Yeah all going well thanks whatamess, going into the 3rd year at Southampton now so slowly plodding through it all. Have also luckily managed to maintain my tech bank contract with my old ambulance trust so doing shifts for them on the holidays and some weekend frontline stuff up in Southampton. It can be tough going at times, but I'm enjoying it. Placements start in a couple of weeks, should be interesting. :)