Anybody commencing medical studies in 2007 at Monash University?

Passion

Hello

Is there anybody out there who is also going to study medicine at Monash University Australia , starting 2007? I will be going there next year too. Would be good to know some of you beforehand. :D

cheers,
Passion.

Last edited:

complicated

Hey Passion,

Congratz on getting into Monash. I'm a second year student, and I'll be going as a guide to Transition Weekend :). Look forward to seeing you there!

I pretty much a newbie on this forum...this is my first post!

Regards,
complicated

flcty-lexi

Can you guys help a year 11 with some advice...to get into Monash Med :) The prerequisites are just 30+in English and 30+ in Chemistry. Are there people you know of who took standard general maths/further maths and got into (the next year) monash the following year. So far I understand the atomic theory being taught in chem. (my class is up to dobbalmyer [can't really spell his name]) the limitations to dalton's/rutherfords theories :). I love English.

complicated

Hi

Hey flcty-lexi,

It shouldn't matter which other subjects you decide to do or not do in yr 12, as long as you complete and gain sufficient marks in the prerequisite subjects and obtain a high enough

- ENTER,
- UMAT,
- and score on your interview,

you should be fine in your application for Monash med. If your looking specifically at entry into medical schools in Australia, another really helpful forum can be found at www.medstudentsonline.com, feel free to drop on by :)

Regards,
complicated

flcty-lexi

Hey flcty-lexi,

It shouldn't matter which other subjects you decide to do or not do in yr 12, as long as you complete and gain sufficient marks in the prerequisite subjects and obtain a high enough

- ENTER,
- UMAT,
- and score on your interview,

you should be fine in your application for Monash med. If your looking specifically at entry into medical schools in Australia, another really helpful forum can be found at www.medstudentsonline.com, feel free to drop on by :)

Regards,
complicated
Thanks so much, great website ;) . My friends keep on saying that if you want to get into med. and you only, say score a 90.5 enter but if you scored in the top 5% of the UMAT, that being in the top 5% will guarrantee you an interview...

complicated

(For Monash) Getting a percentile score of above the cut off (it was low 240s for this yr's cohort) will guarantee you an interview. From there, your interview performance, UMAT score and ENTER all play a role in getting you a place. It is believed the value of each component (interview/UMAT/ENTER) considered is 50%/25%/25%, but this may well have changed, and these percentages are not concrete.

People have been known to get in with ENTERs in the low 90s, but this is rare and the people who get in this way usually have excellent UMATs and interview scores to compensate. They may also be of rural origin, or applying under various other schemes...and there are so many different types of med places as well (CSP, CSP bonded, MRBS, ERC, DFEE)...so you never know where your stats will leave you.

It's best just to put in everything you've got, leaving nothing to chance to give yourself the best possible opportunity to get the place you're after (I know you will do this anyway :)).