Anyone on the GEP course at Barts

Discussion in 'Barts and The London (QMUL) School of Medicine and' started by BeckyCP, Feb 28, 2006.

1. BeckyCP

BeckyCP New Member

Hi,

I'd be really interested to see the structure of the GEP course in more detail than can be found on the website. Here are just some of my many questions:

How long does each of the stages 1-4 run for?

In Stage One, how much time is spent in the PBL groups, and how much time in lectures? Is the PBL the same as case-based learning? How much is taught with the 5 year students? How much patient contact do you get, and what form does this take (e.g. GP, hospital, learning clinical examination techniques)?

In Stage 3, how much of this is PBL and how much lecture? How much patient contact is maintained during this time? What's it like to have done clinical work in Stage 2 without the theory from Stage 3? Does Stage 3 give you a better retrospective understanding of some of the things you saw in Stage 2?

Stage 4. How many SSMs do you take and how long do you spend on each?

Do you get an elective on the 4 year course? ;)

Has the course met your expectations? What is the best thing about the GEP at Barts from your point of view, and what are the downsides (teaching, clinical work, location, accommadation, social life etc)?

I apologise for the interrogation! I really like what I've heard about Barts so far, but more information is always a good thing. You don't necessarily need to answer all of my questions, and if you have a link for me that will show the full timetable, for example, feel free to send me that!

Thanks for reading my post and for answering :D

Becky x

2. gonzo

gonzo New Member

Hello Becky, I'm in the first year on Barts GEP, so I can try to answer the questions you have regarding the beginning of the course.
    GEP Stage 1 Inter-professional Course - 1 year
    GEP Stage 2: Integrated Clinical Studies - 1 year
    GEP Stage 3: Systems (specialties) - At least 1 year
    GEP Stage 4: Preparation for Clinical Practice - not sure, a few months

Roughly (depending on which unit we are doing), 4 hours a week PBL, 8 hours lectures. PBL is case based learning. We also have anatomy practicals and some clinical skills type practicals.
    We do one day a week at either a GP surgery or Newham general hospital (alternating). This involves clinical skills teaching form consultants/GPs, sessions with nurses/other health care professionals, home visits and ward based patient contact. We do a different topic each week which is relevant (generally) to our current lectures. This is one of the most enjoyable parts of the course for me.
    So far we have no teaching with the 5 year students. However apparently we have some Human Development lectures with them later in the year.

I have no concrete info about stage 3 or 4 I'm afraid. As far as I'm aware all the 'theory' is covered in stage 1 and the rest of the course is clinical, so there should be no out of sync teaching.
    I don't think we get an elective, but the summer holiday between yrs 1&2 is two months, and between yrs 2&3 is 6 weeks, so you could go away then if you wished.

I am really enjoying the course. I feel like I have learned a huge amount in the last 6 months, and I really enjoy the teaching style. As I mentioned above I especially like the clinical parts.
    Location yr one is mostly West Smithfield, which is lovely. Next year we can be placed in any hospital in east London, which I'm looking forward to. If you are short of money the east end is a cheap place to live.
    Social life is great. I really like the people on my course, and some of us have joined sports clubs (football, hockey etc) or are doing voluntary work with Barts and the London student union. Barts is a fun and friendly place!

Good luck choosing!

3. BeckyCP

BeckyCP New Member

Thank you so much for all your help Gonzo. Everyone tells me how friendly Barts is, and you're further proof :)

Just need to get an offer now!

Becky x

4. saraj

saraj New Member

selection centre at qmw

hi, i wanted to know if anyone out there has been to the selection centre in qmw on 8th of march? i wanted to know if the written exercise that they are talking about is anything like the msat essays we had to go throught?