1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

argh what an awful interview!

Discussion in 'Medical School Interviews' started by AmyG, Jan 14, 2010.

1. AmyG

AmyG New Member

Hiya,

Just a little rant - had my first interview today. It was beyond awful - 15 mins, 3 interviewers. Although i know that all interviews have a mean guy the one I had was verging on insulting! he tutted, interrupted, rolled his eyes, critisised me, huffed and puffed, raised his eyebrows - everthing! I felt like I was wasting their time! I didnt once get asked about my strengths, weaknesses etc - and more or less 5 seconds into my why medicine the man interupted why not nursing - fair enough but can I not just finish what I want to say?? argggggh!!

Anyone else experienced the same kind of thing?
    Any advice for handling it? Can I talk back/stand up for myself in interview and say 'do you mind if i just finish first?'

Its a humiliating experience - i know its a test - and yes i know it is to see if I am resilient etc etc but this for me was just harsh!!!!!

Rant over. replies welcome!

Amy:(

2. Mabz

Mabz New Member

Don't worry, my Cambridge interview kind of went like that, they practically said me, that they shouldn't have even bothered giving me an interview. Ahh god it went bad

3. AmyG

AmyG New Member

Thanks Mabz,

Its harsh isnt it!? I know they need to work out whose fit for the job but there should be a limit in harshness i think! Good for you tho doing Cambridge interview - even thinking of doing an interview there gives me a heart attack!Hope things work outfor you!

Amz

4. Jolt

Jolt Member

I had an interview a couple of days ago that went pretty much the same way.

Every question and answer just seemed to make it worse and the interviewers were totally pokerfacing it.

The worst of it being that it's one of those unis that don't let you know until after all the interviews are over, so I've got about 2 months to dwell on it.

5. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Well hey guys, give me a week or so and I will probably be recounting a most cringe worthy personal tale on "stupidest things said in an interview" thread...

But remember a few things.

a) interviews are almost always feel worse that they are, because the conversation is often by design out of our control and hitting areas we feel exposed on rather than what we want to talk about or feel confident talking about.

b) Many medics are by definition pretty self critical.

c) The other candidates will probably feel the same. So you are all in the same boat.

Remember that old joke:-

Two men out in the wilds and a hungry, angry bear bursts into view.
    One of the men quickly pulls his running shoes one.
    The second, says “Why do that? You will never outrun that bear!”
    The fist replies, “It isn’t the bear I need to out run…”

So it doesn’t matter if you are not the “best” at interview, as long as you are not with the worst.

6. foxyamy

foxyamy New Member

Love it!

Also, just remember that at the end of the day, it's sometimes worse to come out of an interview thinking that everything went great then finding out you were unsuccessful.

Not sure why some have to be so mean though. In my interview at Newcastle I found my interviewers to be really quite nice, and even though I completely got verbal diarrhoea, they only interrupted when it got really bad, and I actually wished they'd stopped me more!! Suppose it is just preparing you for when you are a student/FY1/2/registrar though, because that's pretty much what it's like in practice - some consultants are really nice and others just bark orders and shout a lot.

7. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

I've had a lot worse..

Of course, I got in.

So doesn't prove much! Interviews ought be challenging and if they were it shows you were pushed, hopefully proving something to them.. Chin up.

8. pistol_offire

pistol_offire New Member

i think that martigan's ideas are right, you don't need to be good at interview to get in, you just need to be better than others ;p and it is only natural to criticise yourself excessively, interviews are difficult and very rarely is a perfect performance given.

i like to think that harsh interviewers would respect someone who could stand up for themselves, although i can't say that i had to stand up for myself in my interviews.

9. InternalOptimist

I agree, I had some tough interviews and they went fine. Its better they test you and you can show what you have got rather than not testing you and coming away with them just assuming you are a poor performer.

Do you mind if I ask you which MedSchool you were being interviewed by?

10. GenericName

GenericName New Member

To be honest, if anything I reckon they'll be impressed at your ability to keep it together like that and despite a nasty experience, you're probably MORE likely to get a place as a result of it :p I know everyone says it, but it's true...interviews are designed to test you; if everyone breezed through them they wouldn't show too much.

11. InternalOptimist

I absolutely agree, When I had an interview for Lancaster (a few years ago in its first year) all they did was give me a couple of biscuits and have a little chat. At the end I found myself feeling the least confident of all of the interviews I had done, as I wasn't sure if they actually knew anything more about me compared to when we had started.
    Harder is better ;P

12. AmyG

AmyG New Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice! It is kinda comforting to know that I am not alone in feeling this way!! Honestly though it was the kind of interview where there is literally no hope in any offer lol. seriously it was beyond awful.

I am hoping that my next two go okay! Its tough because I have really really tried hard to get varied work experience and also I already have a degree so academically I feel strong. We will have to see - I just want the interviewers to interview me for me and not for my knowledge on things like clinical audit!!

Also any advice on how to speak coherently when an interviewer is trying to put you off? Unfortunately (and fortunately at the same time) I havent ever come across a mean interviewer until last week, so tips on handling humiliation?!

Also one other thing - when asked why medicine? How on earth am I meant to maintain their interest when my reasons are not that different from the standard applicant? Ie. i dont have an interesting tales of falling off a cliff defying death.

Thank you :)

13. InternalOptimist

I think it very much depends on which University you are applying for - Universities such as oxbridge are much more likely to be testing your knowledge, whereas the more modern medical courses seem to want to know more about you and what you get up to. but that is just what I found from my own and friend's experiences.

For the 'why medicine' question I have no tips, though. I personally gave the bog standard answer, and was lucky that they usually cut me off after about half a minute and pushed it onto different topics.. Some of my friends had interviewers yawning at them or just looking out of the window and ignoring them. These people got offered a place though! I dunno what to do, if you have no other reasons then stick with the 'normal' ones - you will be in very good company. At least you will not stick out form the crowd as a liar or as something strange...

Interviewers all have different tactics and ways of interviewing. I am sure your interviewer acted the same towards all of the other interviewees! Hopefully you will be luckier next interview you have.

Good luck in your next two interviews! Where are they at?