best differential diagnosis book

Discussion in 'Medical Textbook Discussion' started by Lilly84, May 3, 2006.

1. Lilly84

Lilly84 New Member

Hi all!

Can anyone give me some advice on differential diagnosis (DD) pocketbooks? I really need one but I don't have any opinions about them?
    I've been searching and I found Churchill's pocketbook of DD and Ferri's DD, but I don't have any reliable sources (meaning: other students who have used them giving me some information on them!:)!
    Can you help?
    Tks a lot*

2. pilly84

pilly84 New Member

Hi Lilly

I like Churchill's Pocketbook of Differential Diagnosis. I've never seen Ferri's DDx so I can't really comment on that one.

3. sweetie-pie

sweetie-pie New Member

Churchills is good, used it a lot in GP

4. Lilly84

Lilly84 New Member

tks guys, just bought Churchill today! Bye**

5. rjm

rjm New Member

Have you tried looking at Crash Course General Medicine and Crash course Surgery. I was really against the whole crash course think before, but someone recommended the general medicine to me and I actually think it is quite good. The first half is structured as "Patient presents with X" and has about 26 chapters using different presenting symptoms. In each chapter it discusses the possible causes and what clues to pick up on history and examination to narrow it down. Then discusses the investigations you should do to narrow it down even further. Often has flow diagrams to help if you have visual memory. The second half of the book is broken down into systems based chapters. The whole thing is quite readable and has EMQ/MCQ/SAQ at the end to help your learning. Too big to put in your pocket - but then i have never seen anyone carrying around a differential diagnosis book (normally cheese and onion is what is in pockets/bags). Give it a go and see what you think.
    Also, differential diagnosis will come with experience, the more time you can spend on the wards and clerking patients the better. You cant learn it from a book.

6. sheffieldmedic

sheffieldmedic New Member

Churchills definately! Its a really nice little book to get into your pocket. It certainly lists all the differential diagnoses, but i dont think it is particularly good on the investigation front on what differentiates one condition from another.

The guy who wrote it teaches in our medical school and is a great teacher.