biomedical sciences

Discussion in 'St George's, University of London' started by Shujaat, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Shujaat

Shujaat New Member

hi,

anyone gotten an offer or rejection for that?

last year i applied for med, didnt get in, so this year im applying for biomed.

2. HollyK

HollyK New Member

3. harpy

harpy New Member

Hey!
    jus checked an i hv a conditional offr- mke sure u check track! :D

4. Dr.BuddyLove

Dr.BuddyLove New Member

I have a conditional offer too!!!!! congrats harpy!!!! WHOOOOOHOOO
    '

only need 60% over the three years and ur invited on to there medicine course! YES YOU HEARD ME RIGHT! 60%!!!! :D Back door into medicine

ps was direct from the admissions staff!

5. medschoolgirl25

medschoolgirl25 New Member

hi

not every1 with 60% or over is invited to do medicine, the places are very limited, even more so than when u apply at A level.

it's not quite a back door into medicine

6. Dr.BuddyLove

Dr.BuddyLove New Member

Wow!! thank you for the downer!! :-D.....

And btw - thanks for the advice, but its what admissions staff told me at the med school told me, so im going to go on what they say

oh and how can it be more compeitive when your competiting with 35 applications instead of 3,000??

im sorry if come across rude to you but - lets face it, uve not even said congrats to anyone whos managed to get a place, just come on with negativity man, however i thank you for your advice.....

#6 Dr.BuddyLove, Dec 19, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  7. BigC

BigC New Member

You did come across as smug tho...

8. Dr.BuddyLove

Dr.BuddyLove New Member

then i apoligise look im delighted to get on the course, allow ,me some leway - if u knew my circumstances trust me i think ud allow me to be so even just a little, however i do apoligise for coming across that way! :D

9. harpy

harpy New Member

CONGRATULTIONS! i'm v happy 4 u an thanks 4 sharing that piece of news, sounds fantastic- wow, cnt blve it- woohoo!!!

10. harpy

harpy New Member

btwn- if u r one of these lucky peeps with 60%, do u hav to do any tests or interviews?
    Thanks!

11. Dr.BuddyLove

Dr.BuddyLove New Member

im not sure they wouldnt tell me, to what i knw ad asked they invite you onto the third year of medicine...well by invite at the end of the course! I think to what ive heard its done by a shortlist, so the best in there minds biomed students get invited, and i think theyy go down the list of suitable candates till theyve filled X amount of places!

and besides, for the first two years ur course is exactly as if u was studying medicine so double plus points!

12. 118 118

118 118 New Member

btw i have got an unconditional for biomed at st georges woohoo! just to clear it up anyone who gets 67% is invited for an INTERVIEW and then after the interview places are offered.

13. Dr.BuddyLove

Dr.BuddyLove New Member

hmm u sure its 67%??????? ive been told by SGUL staff its 60%

14. Polaris

Polaris New Member

congratz for the biomed places.

It's great that there's such a system, but don't forget that you can also apply to other med schools on fast track with a good degree ;). Either way it's a way into medicine :p

15. Dr.BuddyLove

Dr.BuddyLove New Member

veryt true - its probs on the wrong forum but wot is the process fo going postgrad, wot kind of figures we talkin?

16. irvs

irvs New Member

Confusion

Hi Guys, I think that there is some confusion about this. Anyone that has a 2:1 from biomed at George's pretty much gets onto the 5 year medical course, unless you fail interview (pretty unheard of as you wil prob know most of the panel!). The transfer course is much harder to get into. From people I know that have transferred, you need to be getting above about 65% for both years. The second year counts more, so if you get say 62/3 in the first year then ace the second year you will be fine. If you meet these requirements you will be asked in for an interview. This is a different interview than the normal 5 year med interview, its a bit more indepth and hard going. They really want to know that you are cracked up for going straight into the 3rd year, you need to be really motivated. If you get an offer from the interview then all you need is a 2:1 (i.e. 60%).

The transfer is a really good opportunity for people to cut down their courses from a possible 8 years to only 6. However, do not let anyone tell you that it is easy, you really need to be ontop of the work from the get go, you cant afford to screw up any of the terms.

If you dont get onto the transfer course its not the end of the world! You can just work hard and get a 2:1 and you will almost definately get a place.

I hope this clears up a few things.

Ben

17. Mickijl

Mickijl New Member

Back door into medicine?

Oh dear! I am afraid that you are incorrect. It is 67% and you do not get 'invited' to join medicine. You have to apply along with everyone else for very few places and still attend an interview. And I should know - I am the MBBS Admissions Officer!

18. Dr.BuddyLove

Dr.BuddyLove New Member

ok ive jsut read through the biomed book

theyre telling me 65% im awfully confused can some clear this up for me please?

ive had someone at st.georges one th ephone say 60%

the biomedical bookletive have been sent by the uni and students says 65%

ive hadf the MBBS admissions officer say 67%....................i begging to think that st.georges is as confused as me on the issue? :confused:

one of the main reasons i applied for SGUL biomed was the apparent opputuities to get into both tthe 3rd and 1st year of medicine after the degree was unqiue to the uni and seemed unrivaled by anyone else, of which i had been lead to beleive by SGUL staff .....have i been lead up the garden path here or is there proper chance to get into medicine at SGUL after the biomed degree, cause the last thing i want is to accept as a firm choice and then be told that no the chance to get into 1sr/3rd year isnt as big at all?

#18 Dr.BuddyLove, Dec 26, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  19. london86

london86 New Member

Whatever the admissions team sez is usually true! The whole point is that you need to score very VERY well. AND perform very well in interview. This is because they want to make sure you can hack 3rd years Lots of Biomeds want it! Clinical skills are taught with oxbridge transfers in an intensive course. To any budding medics listen to biomeds, they know more than us and study very hard!

20. Dr.BuddyLove

Dr.BuddyLove New Member

the point is though....which admissiosn people do i listen to!!lol

cause MBBS admissions is saying 67%, Biomed is saying 65%, someone else at SGUL is say 60%...se what i mean? lol

Im more thren ready to work hard for it lol so wots it like at SGHMS??? any good??