Blue lights course

Qob

Anyone who's started this or is about to, I was just interested in details about what the course involves?

Is there any theory prep I can be doing before my training starts next month? Good books/manuals that might be beneficial to read over?

Also, slightly less importantly, I know in the past of cases when they've sent failed trainees to PTS to build up their driving skills before returning to the technician course at some point. Do they still do this if you mess up your blue lights driving? I obviously hope this doesn't happen, but it would be nice to at least have a job if it all goes belly up!

ballibeg

Guy on our course passed clinical six weeks, failed driving, booted from service.

Don't prepare, no need. Plenty of time during course.

The guy in question from what I've heard made a couple of driving mistakes that you can't really recover from and benefited from the fact C1 was on a license pre 1997. The fact you passed it recently, I think you'll be fine

Qob

The guy in question from what I've heard made a couple of driving mistakes that you can't really recover from and benefited from the fact C1 was on a license pre 1997. The fact you passed it recently, I think you'll be fine
Cheers for the info. I fortuitously recently met a guy who organises emergency services driver training and he gave me a copy of the police roadcraft book. It's actually pretty interesting and although a lot of it is fairly obvious when you think about it, sometimes it's nice to have things pointed out for you and explained! I would recommend for anyone who fancies swotting up a bit.

Cheers for the info. I fortuitously recently met a guy who organises emergency services driver training and he gave me a copy of the police roadcraft book. It's actually pretty interesting and although a lot of it is fairly obvious when you think about it, sometimes it's nice to have things pointed out for you and explained! I would recommend for anyone who fancies swotting up a bit.
I would be interested in getting a wee copy if that's alright?

Qob

Lotrov

Hi Qob
Just wondering how you got on with your blue lights course? Did you find it difficult? Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Qob

Hi Qob
Just wondering how you got on with your blue lights course? Did you find it difficult? Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.
Apologies! The notification for this went to spam so I've only just seen it over a month later!

My course was a bit of a shambles, but we were unlucky with instructor swapping etc. In general I think the theme is you have an instructor who is absolutely horrible to you and pushes you to the limits of your ability, and then you reconsider your life choices, man up, pass seemingly by accident and go out on the road. The actual job on the road is far easier, less stressful and safer than the driving course, because the instructors make you go stupidly fast which occasionally means you make mistakes that are effin scary. In real life, no emergency is worth pulling the action movie stunts they have you doing on the driving course. Your colleagues will not thank you for driving like a hooligan, so undertake the driving course knowing that actually, life will get a lot less stressful once you pass! I rarely drive over 40 on the way to most jobs, and not more than 20 mph to the serious sounding ones... Although I'm based in inner city Edinburgh so it's difficult to pick up speed anywhere, anyway!

Some people get humans for driving instructors, but if you're unlucky you get someone who wishes they were a traffic cop, but didn't make the cut!

Lotrov

Apologies! The notification for this went to spam so I've only just seen it over a month later!

My course was a bit of a shambles, but we were unlucky with instructor swapping etc. In general I think the theme is you have an instructor who is absolutely horrible to you and pushes you to the limits of your ability, and then you reconsider your life choices, man up, pass seemingly by accident and go out on the road. The actual job on the road is far easier, less stressful and safer than the driving course, because the instructors make you go stupidly fast which occasionally means you make mistakes that are effin scary. In real life, no emergency is worth pulling the action movie stunts they have you doing on the driving course. Your colleagues will not thank you for driving like a hooligan, so undertake the driving course knowing that actually, life will get a lot less stressful once you pass! I rarely drive over 40 on the way to most jobs, and not more than 20 mph to the serious sounding ones... Although I'm based in inner city Edinburgh so it's difficult to pick up speed anywhere, anyway!

Some people get humans for driving instructors, but if you're unlucky you get someone who wishes they were a traffic cop, but didn't make the cut!
Hi Qob, thanks very much for the info and advice....sounds like you had a bit of a nightmare of a course! I've got my fingers crossed mine doesn't turn out like that but I guess it's good to go in mentally prepared for expecting the worst! Where did you do your driving course? And was it from the same location as you did your classroom based work? I've been told I'm at Falkirk for the classroom work and that they'll confirm the location of the driving course later. I'm sort of lucky as I already had my C1 licence due to when I passed my course.....but I guess I should get some practice driving/manoeuvring something bigger than a car!

I must say I had a similar course to QOB. Was very close to packing it in actually as I felt the instructor pushed the boundaries at times and was in fact more bullying than teaching. If you get a good instructor though I've heard the course can be great and very enjoyable so hopefully you get the latter.

I've not had the luxury of properly going out on shift yet though so in terms of that I don't have much to say. I'm hoping it gets better...

Lotrov

I must say I had a similar course to QOB. Was very close to packing it in actually as I felt the instructor pushed the boundaries at times and was in fact more bullying than teaching. If you get a good instructor though I've heard the course can be great and very enjoyable so hopefully you get the latter.

I've not had the luxury of properly going out on shift yet though so in terms of that I don't have much to say. I'm hoping it gets better...
Hmm, sorry to hear that MadeofSteel......that's really not good. Sounds like a terrible way of teaching and not what I would of expected at all. I have also heard some good reports about the course though so it seems it very much depends on the instructor......I'll need to keep my fingers crossed I get a decent instructor! I'm glad I'm prepared for it going either way though so thanks for the info.

Did you do your driving course from the same location as your classroom based work? Do you mind sharing where that was?

I really hope the job gets better for you when you get on shift.

LFord

I finished my driving course a few weeks ago and have now done my first few shifts.

I actually really enjoyed my driving course and managed to take a lot of useful information away from it. I did find it quite tiring though, along with the driving I had a one hour plus commute each way plus you have a portfolio in which you need to complete within the duration of the course.

Our instructor was great and certainly wasn't unsafe so theres hope yet for you!

Hmm, sorry to hear that MadeofSteel......that's really not good. Sounds like a terrible way of teaching and not what I would of expected at all. I have also heard some good reports about the course though so it seems it very much depends on the instructor......I'll need to keep my fingers crossed I get a decent instructor! I'm glad I'm prepared for it going either way though so thanks for the info.

Did you do your driving course from the same location as your classroom based work? Do you mind sharing where that was?

I really hope the job gets better for you when you get on shift.
Yeah it's very much dependant on instructor and I've heard the rest have been great.

I did all of mine from Motherwell. Clinical and driving. Can't fault the way clinical was taught at all, had a really good instructor for that.

I start with nightshift which I've never done before so we shall see how it pans out!

Lotrov

I finished my driving course a few weeks ago and have now done my first few shifts.

I actually really enjoyed my driving course and managed to take a lot of useful information away from it. I did find it quite tiring though, along with the driving I had a one hour plus commute each way plus you have a portfolio in which you need to complete within the duration of the course.

Our instructor was great and certainly wasn't unsafe so theres hope yet for you!
It's good to hear a positive story LFord, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you enjoyed your course and I'm glad your instructor wasn't unsafe! I've got an hour plus commute too unfortunately. In my letter it said we could get accommodatin if our journey was 1hr 15min using aa route finder.....I'm 1hr 3mins! I'll see how it goes and maybe get accommodation myself for when I'm doing the driving bit.

Lotrov

Yeah it's very much dependant on instructor and I've heard the rest have been great.

I did all of mine from Motherwell. Clinical and driving. Can't fault the way clinical was taught at all, had a really good instructor for that.

I start with nightshift which I've never done before so we shall see how it pans out!

Thanks again for the info MadeofSteel......I hope you get on ok with your first night-shift!