CANADIAN IMG - prospects of returning to Canada?

oneday85

Im a Canadian citizen, born in UK, looking to move to Canada after med school. I cant find anything anywhere to say whether or not we need to do FP1 or FP2 first, but i heard from a friend whos further ahead, that you dont have to. If anyone does know anything a bit more concrete that would be very helpful?!

raymdc-89

Im a Canadian citizen, born in UK, looking to move to Canada after med school. I cant find anything anywhere to say whether or not we need to do FP1 or FP2 first, but i heard from a friend whos further ahead, that you dont have to. If anyone does know anything a bit more concrete that would be very helpful?!
Hmm, darn.

I don't even know what FP1 and FP2 are. Can you explain those? Is it a British-system thing? It sorta sounds like it.

- Ray

Nestea

i think he means FY 1 and 2, it's foundation years 1 and 2 and they are the years of training ("internship") after med school. i think u go around in rotations of either 4 or 6 months (can't remember) and do like surgery, medicine in different hospitals.

i think after fy1 you're qualified with the general medical council, and after fy2 u pick ur specialty (specialty training).

raymdc-89

i think he means FY 1 and 2, it's foundation years 1 and 2 and they are the years of training ("internship") after med school. i think u go around in rotations of either 4 or 6 months (can't remember) and do like surgery, medicine in different hospitals.

i think after fy1 you're qualified with the general medical council, and after fy2 u pick ur specialty (specialty training).
well then I suppose if you manage to match into a residency program in Canada, you won't have to worry about FY1 or 2, although I can't be 100% sure on this. But of course we all know that even getting a match in CaRMS for IMG's is fairly difficult so it's probably no harm to do your FY1/2 years in the UK. Plus, it'll give you good experience in general medicine and surgery, which might make you a bit more of an attractive applicant for the next round of matching.

- Ray

son456

Hi -

I'm a Canadian citizen, and currently trying to decide if I should take on the offer for a med school in the UK. A major deciding factor is the possibility to practice after graduation, and the options that are available to me.

My ideal scenario is to be able to return to Canada or go to the US to practice (e.g., go through residency, get a job). I was wondering if there's anyone out there who could share his/her success stories? What was the process that you took in order to land the job? How long did it take? What specialty did you apply to? Did the reputation/name of the med school play a significant role? If I were to go through 1 year of med school in the UK and then apply to a Canadian / US med school, would this increase my chances of getting in?

Any thoughts are welcomed! Thanks!

raymdc-89

Hi -

I'm a Canadian citizen, and currently trying to decide if I should take on the offer for a med school in the UK. A major deciding factor is the possibility to practice after graduation, and the options that are available to me.

My ideal scenario is to be able to return to Canada or go to the US to practice (e.g., go through residency, get a job). I was wondering if there's anyone out there who could share his/her success stories? What was the process that you took in order to land the job? How long did it take? What specialty did you apply to? Did the reputation/name of the med school play a significant role? If I were to go through 1 year of med school in the UK and then apply to a Canadian / US med school, would this increase my chances of getting in?

Any thoughts are welcomed! Thanks!
Hey Son456

Are you a student that has just gone through high school, or have you completed/done some undergraduate studies?

I can't be sure if it'll be easier for us international medical graduates to return to Canada in the future, but hopefully things will get better especially for Canadian citizens. If medicine is the one thing you want to go into as a career pathway, and that you have a good plan in paying the tuition fees -- then take the UK offer. Or unless you are confident that your undergraduate grades are/will be very competitive (along with extra-curriculars) for you to have a good chance at going into an MD program in Canada. Right now I still think it's extremely difficult to get into a med school in Canada.

As for doing 1 year of med school in the UK and then trying to go back to Canada/US, I'm not sure if that works, unless you've done prior undergraduate studies and you're competitive, and you took the MCAT and all that jazz.

Sorry for not being much help - I don't know enough to answer your questions because I'm still a med student - 2nd year right now in Australia. It's expensive, but I'm glad I'm in medicine.

- Ray