Dilemma

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by Maria87, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

Imagine you were in this situation, what would be your point of action?

I was losing hope of being invited for an interview this year as my ukcat score was very low (557) and decided to start preparing for next year's entry (or this year's Irish uni entry). I registered for Gamsat Ireland in March and booked my train tickets but yet to book a hotel room.

Last week, I found out that I have a medical school interview scheduled for next month at Aberdeen. I was very excited, but then I started thinking what would be the best thing to do at this point, to sit Gamsat or not. I haven't started revising for it (as I have been very busy with uni and only just finished), however, I studied Biology and Chemistry up to Advanced Higher level in 2005. My plan was to spend all of Feb and March literally revising.

I would love to study in Scotland as it works out way cheaper than in England or Ireland. But the thing is, if I don't get into Aberdeen then I will have nothing lined up for next year and it means I will have to quickly find a job in the meantime. Whereas if I sit Gamsat Ireland and do well then I will be guaranteed a place this year (in one of the irish unis), which is alright but is not the best option for me.

Argg, I think I know what I should do now! Cancel Gamsat and make sure I get that place at Aberdeen!!

What do you think guys?

Edit: My train ticket is non-refundable and non-exchangable :(( It's booked on the 22, returning 25 March for two people (£127)!

#1 Maria87, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  2. Zedd

Zedd Member

Sounds to me like you don't really want to do the GAMSAT or go to Ireland. Plus there's the thought of Irish fees... *shudder*

Personally, I had thought about GAMSAT but in the end the extra effort to prepare for it and the fees involved if I were successful in Ireland meant I rejected the idea pretty quickly.

3. General Practitioner

Go to Aberdeen and give it your best shot.

It's a no-brainer IMO, from both an educational and finacial perspective.

Good luck.

4. kingdizzii

kingdizzii Member

A shame about the train ticket but can't you push back GAMSAT to September? I'd do that if I were you, go all out for that Aberdeen interview and worst comes to worst sit GAMSAT in September.

This is a no brainier to me.

Edit - ah great minds think alike huh GP? :p

5. Zedd

Zedd Member

Are you sure that the train ticket is non-refundable? I seem to remember that if you don't use a pre-booked ticket then you can reclaim the cost within 30-60 days of the date it was intended for. Check with whichever rail service you were going to be using!

6. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

Thanks Zedd. I booked it in advance with Virgin Trains and chose the printed e-ticket option. I tried to change dates online but it wasn't allowing me. I read their terms and conditions and it seems that you have to pay an extra £10 in order to be allowed to make changes to your ticket (and I didn't pay deliberately because I didn't want myself to change my mind!!). I'll have to find their office in town and see if there's a way round this!

7. snakefisch

snakefisch Member

Heya,

It seems to me like you might as well keep all your options open and do both. If your interview is in Feb then you still have a lot of time before the gamsat. If you are not working full time this would give you a lot of time to prepare.
    I would definitely think about still sitting gamsat. If you don't get in to Aberdeen then you have a good chance with the Irish unis for this year as they also don't need that high a score and there are no interviews etc.
    My only issue would be the cost of studying over there because the fees are so high with no funding. This is down to you. Perhaps you don't want to study there at all in which case just wait until next year and reapply if unsuccessful with Aberdeen.
    Definitely go to the Aberdeen interview and concentrate your efforts on that :)

8. TheTool

TheTool New Member

Hi

I agree with snakefisch, if i was in your position I would try and keep my options open, you have already paid for your train ticket and your GAMSAT you may as well sit it! Good luck with Aberdeen :)

9. musttryharder

musttryharder New Member

Go for both!! I didn't think I'd prepared anywhere near enough for GAMSAT but actually did rather nicely - interview prep really isn't that arduous. Work on both til interview then hammer the GAMSAT - then sit back and let fate make your decision! If you get into Aberdeen you'll have saved the cost of the GAMSAT anyway thanks to scottish fees! Good luck :)

10. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

Thanks guys!

If I reschedule to September then I have to pay an administrative fee of EUR 35. To cancel there is a EUR 45 charge. So, I was thinking it works out cheaper to cancel and then book again (if I was either successful or unsuccessful at Aberdeen) rather than rescheduling and then having to cancel (if I got an offer!). I don't feel I'm up for it this March!

11. snakefisch

snakefisch Member

But then you would have to wait a full year for a place at Irish schools, but that does seem like a more sensible thing to do.

12. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

I don't think I'd want to study in Ireland anymore because of all the hassle that comes with it when looking for training jobs, not to mention the huge fees (£14000 yearly compared to a mere £1800 yearly in Scotland). Even though I can secure the loans to pay up for the irish fees I don't think I can live with £100,000 debt!!!

So, if (big if) I was to sit Gamsat in September then I'd be targeting Unis in England.

13. snakefisch

snakefisch Member

Too true! go for it then, I would postpone. Sept is meant to be easier anyway :)

14. emmabelle

emmabelle New Member

Re: not feeling prepared for GAMSAT in March.

I passed GAMSAT on what I told myself would be my 'practice' first run and (just) got a high enough score to secure an interview, which subsequently secured me a place on the 2010 intake (I'm now in my third year). I don't know anyone on my course who did feel prepared for GAMSAT, even though we all made it through to the other side.

Also, when I did sit it I was struck by how many empty candidate seats there were- a sizeable number of people seem to book and not follow through. Maybe Aberdeen would be your first choice, but it sounds like you could make an Irish university work financially if you had to? There are an awful lot of people on my course who just didn't think they were prepared- I've formed the opinion that the GAMSAT is part skills tests, part psychological challenge!

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

15. Princewill

Princewill Member

Hi Maria87,

Do you have to travel to Ireland to sit the Gamsat? I thought there was the option to choose a London venue or am I wrong?
    i am taking Gamsat in March but I have not made any arrangement about any travelling cos i though I choose a london venue. Please let me know

16. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

No you don't have to travel to Ireland. I booked mine in london. Good luck!

17. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

Guys: how did you cancel your Gamsat? I was told to fax a document to a number which happens to be in Australia (Melbourne). I tried faxing it twice but it didn't reach!!

PS: I don't have a fax machine, I'm using the one in my local shop.

#17 Maria87, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  18. Princewill

Princewill Member

Hi Maria87,

i logged into my Gamsat account online same way i regfistered and clicked on deffer but in your case you can click on cancel.

19. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

Is this for Gamsat Ireland? because I'm sure there is no option for cancellation when I log in to my account.

This what they say on their website:
    "Registration fees for the 2013 test will be refunded on request up to 5.15pm GMT 11 February 2013, however, an administrative charge of €45 will be deducted."