1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctors with tattoos

Discussion in 'Current Medical Students' started by they_call_me_pg, Jan 6, 2010.

1. they_call_me_pg

they_call_me_pg New Member

Hi all. Wasnt sure where to put this post so i thought I would put it where current medical students would see it.

The thing is that I have always wanted to get a tattoo and I'm thinking of getting one in the next few months. Is there any rules for doctors/medical students for this sort of thing? I was just going to get one on my stomach so it wouldnt exactly be visible to patients or anything.

Just thought i would see what the situation is for doctors with tattoos at the minute? Anyone got any views/advice?

Any1 on here actually got a tattoo?

Sorry for what may seem like a silly post but i was just curious to find out before i make the decision to get one

2. Dick Cheney

Dick Cheney New Member

You only get one skin, why uglify it by tattooing it? Sure, if Michaelangelo were to perform the work with a full palette that didn't fade, it would be something to consider, but practically it is likely to be done by self-obsessed fringe culture deviant in hideous inks that fade and bleed over time. Imagine what it will look like in later career with the skin stretched tightly over your protuberant 'consultant gut'. Besides, all the band-wagoneers have had their tattoos now, if you want to stand out, get a genital bisection.

3. Clarkey

Clarkey I have girl bits ok? :)

Dick Cheney's comments aside, it depends on what you want and where you want to put it. Somewhere that can be hidden with clothing is usually fine.

Please don't get stars on your face.

4. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

'ow very kind and elpful. please do ya knobby, let us know what its like and all.

sometimes staff fink i 'ave tattoos on my arm, but its only'astily written down blood pressures for patients that were missing from the BP file.

till they work that out, i get a few dispproving looks and 'tuttuts' (and 'dumassmacca') from the older buggers.

5. smile88egc

smile88egc New Member

I've got one on my back so never visible on placement. PMS make us sign a student agreement that says we will not "present yourself in any way that may make a patient question your clinical ability". Which basically means they can make you change anything they want about your appearance.

I did get snakebite piercings on my bottom lip in second year and only got told to take them out once, and even then i wore clear plastic retainer bars in them.

I'm sure if it came down to it then they could ask you to get it removed if it was on show but if it's going on your stomach then no'one will care. Most importantly, research your tattooist!

Emma

6. Dick Cheney

Dick Cheney New Member

What about getting a tattoo done with homeopathic ink? That way, you'd have your tattoo, it wouldn't show and you'd also gain a massive dose of chi energy from the acupuncture effect augmented with homeopathy. You'd never be ill again.

7. Saq2k7

Saq2k7 New Member

I got a tattoo of a unicorn on my arm - im very mystical :D

8. Saq2k7

Saq2k7 New Member

loool great way to not get sad and have a mid life crisis :D lool

welcome to NMM btw :D

9. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

get a sexy butt tattoo, macca.

10. foxyamy

foxyamy New Member

Hey - I have two tattoos, one on my back and one on my ankle - I am still not too sure how I am going to deal with the ankle on in the summer, as it is probably going to stop me from being able to wear cropped trousers/skirts etc. I would definitely recommend you get one somewhere which can be easily covered up so that you don't have to worry about it later.

11. never_too_late

never_too_late New Member

I've got a tattoo, on my back. I agree that it might not look professional to have one on show but it does iritate me when people say things like it will make people "question your clinical ability" what a load of nonsense, what is it about appreciating a type of art on your own body (which by the way, is my property) that makes people think that you're probably a hooligan?!

Bollocks (excuse my french)

12. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

ahhh. if you are an 'ooligan, you must be a kind and friendly one, macca, i reckon.

13. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Hmm I just look at this thread and the quote from Rocky Horror comes into my mind every time.

"Got any tattoo's??"

hmm. It just doesn't work without the voice.

14. khaa9666

khaa9666 New Member

Forgive Dick Cheney's response (dick by name cheney by nature?!). I have a pretty large tattoo on my back of a latin inscription which you can see through light material, hasnt ever caused me any trouble. And whoever said above that our bodies are our property is bang on. Just dont get stars on yoru face like what was said above and you'll be reet.

15. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

I know quite a few students/Drs with tattoos - some more than others. Unfortunately for many patients, and worse, many old fogeys in the establishment, it is a sign of incompetance and blind rebellion, so is best covered, but its existence is no problem.

You wont be able to give blood either (i think?)

16. never_too_late

never_too_late New Member

I give blood regularly, get your facts right...

;-)

17. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Sing did say "I think" about the blood thing so cut him some slack.

Re tattoo's though for SGUL you need to sign up to a set of rules and regulations based on "Good Medical Practice, 3rd Edition, May 2001”.

One of the states :-

“Students are expected to maintain appropriate standards of dress, appearance and personal hygiene so as not to cause offence to patients, teachers or colleagues. The appearance of a student or medical practitioner should not be as such to potentially affect a patient’s confidence in the doctor or student’s medical judgement or standing.”

While our generation (and younger) have a relaxed view towards tattoos, if you think about the age of most of the majority of hospital patients, they are of a much elder generation. To many of them tattoos are not something that a person of “Education” or “Quality” would have, so it could be seen to reduce your standing with the patient.

It’s a tricky one, as by “modern” standards some discreet tattoos are quite trendy. However not every one has modern standards, especially the patients.

So basically it’s a judgement call you need to decide on and live with the consequences. But my own guess is that you will be OK with something discreet, but the more discreet it is the better chance of avoiding issues…

18. Frank's mum

Frank's mum New Member

I have a tattoo that is only visable if I'm wearing a bikini so not a problem usually in the hospital(!), but recently saw a pharmacist with a visable tattoo and it was a really rubbish one and very unattractive. So I'd say if you have to have one in a potentially visable place please don't get a football team emblem or a union jack.

19. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

indeedy, macca.
    a nice smiley furry cheeked face :D would be a tad more appropriate, for example.

20. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I think the tattoo, may be "Cheeky"...

But it would be rude to suggest hairy.