Dundee A104, advice appreciated!

Cogito Ergo Sum

I am just wondering if anyone can offer me any advice/answer a few questions for me?

I just graduated with a 1st in Applied Social Sciences (Psychology) and am considering applying to do the A104 course at Dundee next year, and was interested to hear how people have found the course?

I am also quite worried about the course selectors consideration of performance at higher level, if anyone has any information regarding that matter? My higher grades are an amalgam of dismal and non-existent, however, I was at the time and carried on for around 6 years thereafter, battling a long term illness. I have heard that Dundee consider "adversity" but am unsure of what they define as "adverse" and if it is only applied to those who reside within the locality?

I apologise for this rambling and semi-life story, but I am utterly confused :confused: and would be really appreciative of any help or guidance! :)

morgen

Hello Cogito,

No need to apologise for rambling - I am in a similar position to yourself, though I have already applied (just waiting to hear now!). My background is somewhat unusual too and I always worry about rambling when I try to go over it :)

I have a first in philosophy from Glasgow, and I was already a mature student when I started that. There are a number of other hardship circumstances that I won't go too far into here but I have the impression that Dundee are extremely understanding and really do want to widen access to medicine. This year they introduced a form for all applicants which allows you to tick boxes and describe factors which they can take into account when looking at your application (illness, economic factors, and so on). My highers are also lacking, but, as BeMyEnemy said your degree will certainly trump that especially given the circumstances you had to endure.

I also wrote a letter and sent a full academic CV with my application because I felt that my circumstances were such that I could not fully explain them on the standard UCAS application form. I sent the letter to Gordon Black to past it on to the selectors, as BeMyEnemy says Mr Black is really helpful and approachable - as is BeMyEnemy :)

I truly did not think that there would ever be a chance that I could study/practice medicine, so don't give up. I'm not there yet, but I have learned that it really is a possibility. Do you have plans for any volunteering or related work? I work in the charity sector part time and would be happy to talk about getting in there if you want - we need lots of volunteers.

Feel free to PM me any time, and best of luck

Aluter

Hi guys, I am thinking of applying for the A104 because I did not do A'levels or GCSE's due to moving back to the UK from a country that does not have an equivalent :(. However, I did a science degree (through foundation).

I will ring their admissions tomorrow but in the main time was wondering if put my mind at ease! or I am meant to be applying to the A100?

Ta

Zedd

Hi guys, I am thinking of applying for the A104 because I did not do A'levels or GCSE's due to moving back to the UK from a country that does not have an equivalent :(. However, I did a science degree (through foundation).

I will ring their admissions tomorrow but in the main time was wondering if put my mind at ease! or I am meant to be applying to the A100?

Ta
A104 at Dundee is for people without the necessary science qualifications, so I'm not sure that its for you. Best thing is to contact the admissions department as they are very helpful and they should be able to clear it up quickly :)

Aluter

Thanks Zedd for your reply...was having a look at maybe your thread on the student room...not sure if it is the same person.

Well I have a module in chem for a year at university which should help with the chem requirement, however, it is the lack of biology i am worried about.

On the website it say's a degree in life-science instead of science so that is another reason I am getting up worked up.

Just with the fees increase and poor ukcat scotland is my best short.

Zedd

Thanks Zedd for your reply...was having a look at maybe your thread on the student room...not sure if it is the same person.

Well I have a module in chem for a year at university which should help with the chem requirement, however, it is the lack of biology i am worried about.

On the website it say's a degree in life-science instead of science so that is another reason I am getting up worked up.

Just with the fees increase and poor ukcat scotland is my best short.
So what was your degree in, and to what level did you take it? Also, which country do you normally reside? :)