Dundee Interviews?

arose20

Hi all,
I have an interview coming up in the new year, and have heard that Dundee use a different style of "mini interviews", but what do they consist of?
And is there anything I would need to find out/prepare for beforehand?
Any help much appreciated, and good luck to anyone else with/awaiting interviews!
Anna.

Kisses_x

Sorry to jump on your post .. but ya know your interview invite, did you recieve it via post / UCAS or MyDundee?

Thanks x

ristretto

mine was sent to my My Dundee webmail and CC-ed to my personal email.

as for the interview format, i've read a little about it when i was researching on the australian med schools. they use this interview format over there quite commonly. basically every interviewee will have to go through several stations (10 for dundee) and spend a certain duration (approx. 7min for dundee) at each station answering questions or performing certain tasks. each station will be manned by trained assessors who will judge your performance and grade you. and at the end of the process, an overall score will be obtained and the interviewees will be ranked according to the final score and offers will be given to the high-scoring candidates.

as far as i know, dundee has about 2 or 3 stations for asking you general questions. the rest are more like role-playing and scenario response stations. my friend who had gone to an australian med school told me about a scenario where the assessor will present you with a crying lady (who's actually a trained actor) and you're supposed to comfort her and find out what's making her cry. so, it's kind of a refreshing way to test your communications kills and a chance for you to show that you do have empathy and compassion for fellow humans...

the advice i got from my friend who went through such an interview process is that u can't really prepare for the scenarios. just make sure u are able to answer the generic questions and you should be fine, provided that u do not have any genuine character defects.

MisDee

On the topic of the interview format, I did it last year and what Ristretto said is pretty much correct. They'll have stations where they ask you the expected "med school" questions ("why do you want to do this?", "what do you think about the current state of the NHS?" that kind of thing). There are also role-play scenarios which test your communication skills (you literally cannot prepare for these at all). There are also stations where they will give you ethical scenarios and ask you to come to a decision about something, then justify your decision.

It's really not that bad at all - I was terrified but it ended up being almost fun.

Congrats and good luck to everybody who has an interview! Hope to see you guys next year :)
If you can remember from your interview last year, how many stations are practical (role-play based) and how many ask questions?

ristretto

On my interview email, the admissions officer said that there're 10 stations and 5 of them will be ordinary "chats" while the rest will be scenario-based or role-play stations.

BeMyEnemy, thanks for elaborating on the interview format with your own experiences. May I know how heavy they are on NHS-related questions? Do you know if they ask the same to international applicants? To be honest, I know close to nothing about the NHS, and I've been reading up on it to prepare for interviews. I have to say that it's really quite hard for an outsider to fully understand the system and appreciate its problems when it's a system so far from my reach... I'll have pretty much a lot to talk about on the Singaporean or Chinese healthcare system though.....

Harbour Seal

Hi! You know, I'm a proper geek and actually worked out percentages of applicants to interview and applicants to offers made? For Dundee last year, 36% of applicants were offered interviews, and 29% of applicants offered places.

Good odds eh? It is in Dundee though :S

chris_123

Hi! You know, I'm a proper geek and actually worked out percentages of applicants to interview and applicants to offers made? For Dundee last year, 36% of applicants were offered interviews, and 29% of applicants offered places.

Good odds eh? It is in Dundee though :S
Those odds sound very encouraging, but I'm just wondering where did you get the admissions information to work those percentages out?

cmacl

I actually found it quite fun. XD Agreed. Most of it you cannot prepare for - be yourself! You'll be tested on hwo you are under pressure and in difficult situations. It's so different! Very good idea. Skills you need on a ward. :)

Harbour Seal

Those odds sound very encouraging, but I'm just wondering where did you get the admissions information to work those percentages out?
I got the figures from "MPW: Getting Into Medical School 2011 Entry" and worked out the figures accordingly. I'm sure if you phone Dundee up they would be able to give you the same information.

helpneeded

Hey,

I had my interview yesterday- so glad its over!!!! How has everyone been getting on in their interviews? I found it all ok but the puzzles and roleplay was a little bit tough... What did you find the most difficult?