1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Very Sorry for myself....How to move forward

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by laurajb, May 16, 2014.

1. nikami

nikami Member

This forum is great because you always find someone who is similar to our situation. It took me more than 6months to decide and arguable convince people around me that why I want to be a doctor. Just want to know when you are writing UKCAT? Hows your preparation going? You are an inspiration for many other people.

2. AussieBoy

AussieBoy Member

Being a junior doctor is a very physical job. I started at 7am yesterday and finished my evening shift at 11pm and to be frank I was knackered at the end of it (I'm a 40 something).

In that time, I was walking / running all over a large hospital, lifting patient's forward to listed to lungs, cannulating, taking blood and a whole lot of other scut work. Had a lady cough up a large clot and pass away from haemoptysis in front of her two sons plus a whole lot of other emergency calls seizures etc.

It's emotionally and physically draining. Not saying it's impossible as an oldie, but I used to work all nighters in my 20s and it didn't shag me out like this is doing.

lottie610 likes this.
  3. Zedd

Zedd Member

I started university at 23 and left with a philosophy degree at 27 and I get a lot of that 'what are you going to do?' and 'how old will you be when you get a job?'. I'm now 28 and will be going down the route of getting a law degree and become a solicitor/advocate and the questions have, by and large, stopped. I think the reason that sort of pestering has stopped is because I'll be on a, more or less, set path from now on. Medicine offers an even more set path in that FY1/2, CST, etc salaries are out there already and not dependant upon performance or market competition (at least I hope that continues to be the case in England and Wales). In my opinion the OP and anyone else questioning the decision to study medicine later in life ought to take a pinch of salt when the people around them make their anxiety known because the path can be quite predictable once you are in medical school.

#23 Zedd, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  4. grub

grub New Member

Hiya
    Ok so financially - really struggling. We have some parental help and lots of overdrafts and credit card debt. Nursery fees are enormous drain.
    Major struggle apart from financial so far is the lack of time during term to learn material cos of being mum, and housewife! Every week new anatomy so it was flashed through!
    Wondered if I would pass. . . I fit B so did better than I would have thought based on how I felt all year round when I was scared I knew nothing!
    It's determination that I think gets you through aspects. But we have many arguments about money, I won't deny.
    I worried I would be missing out with kids but I have not felt that way and have spent most weekends with then in addition to every night after uni. It is hard to self motivate to study after 9 when u r exhausted tho! Especially when kids won't go to bed! Grr!!
    Hmm that's the main aspects I think
    Hope that helps x

5. ajax

ajax Member

To my knowledge, there is no limit to how many times you apply. But with that being said, if you are certain that you want to be a doctor, it will be worth it for you to continually put your life on hold for this. For others, it might not. For me, if I hadn't got onto a programme this year, it simply would have meant another year working and trying again next year. I know others who've delayed PhD applications and the like only to have nothing to show for it. It's a tough call.

That's okay - I didn't :) I work in finance. The hours are long and very early. I'm usually up daily at half past five, out the door by 6:00 am and get back home around 7:00 in the evening. Juggling the application process and personal travel on top of this has been a big challenge.

6. nikami

nikami Member

That's okay - I didn't :) I work in finance. The hours are long and very early. I'm usually up daily at half past five, out the door by 6:00 am and get back home around 7:00 in the evening. Juggling the application process and personal travel on top of this has been a big challenge.[/QUOTE]

Wow finance to medicine. Can I know the trigger behind this change if you dont mind? I though finance in itself is an attractive career choice (well paid too I suppose). When is you UKCAT exam?

7. ajax

ajax Member

I've always been interested in medicine and in helping other people. I've spent a lot of time volunteering for charities but recently decided that I wanted to take the leap and make it my career.

Working in finance is okay, the money is decent but some of the people can be really vile, and I didn't want to become the type of person you needed to become in order to be successful, if that makes sense. The future of the industry is also far less secure than something like medicine, where becoming a doctor is a near-universal qualification.

I took the UKCAT last summer and was admitted on a course earlier this year. I will start in about three months' time.

8. nikami

nikami Member

That's great news. Congratulations once again. Well done :D

9. AussieBoy

AussieBoy Member

I moved from investment banking to medicine.

I can safely say the incidence of seemingly florid personality disorders is greater in medicine than it was in the City.

10. nikami

nikami Member

Is that one of the drawback of medical profession you mean to say??

11. AussieBoy

AussieBoy Member

Yes - the God complex is very prevalent.

12. ajax

ajax Member

You mean that they're not all placid as Hindu cows? I cannot believe that 24 Hours in A&E has lied to me!

:D

13. AussieBoy

AussieBoy Member

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

14. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I was filmed for 24 hours in A&E...

You may spot me staring as the "Useless medical student at the back trauma call"...

15. LePomS

LePomS Member

Were you really! What do you look like...when are you on tv?

16. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Apparently it will be shown either in November or some time in the spring.

Just look for some one big and useless!

17. LePomS

LePomS Member

Don't be so negative on yourself.

18. Andre08

Andre08 New Member

Oh dear Nate, that means I also have to be realistic about my dreams. I'm already settled as a Syetmic & Family Psychotherapist and is finishing my PhD in Systemic Therapy now. I'm 42 and was thinking of sitting the GAMSAT in Sept 2017 and hopefully start in September 2018 with the 4 year medical degree. I will be 44 when I hopefully start. Writing this makes me realise how ridiculous that sounds...

19. ajax

ajax Member

What an interesting memory jog. I hadn't thought about this thread in years.
    I'm now a few years into my four-year programme. The best advice I can give is: do it. There are several people in my medical school in their forties - and a couple in their fifties - and they are an inspiration to everyone. If you really want to be a doctor, then you shouldn't let anything stand in your way.

I would only say that you shouldn't underestimate the amount of work required; it's a hell of a slog and basically like a full-time job. If you feel like you have the energy to devote to it at this point in your life, especially after having done some serious academic work beforehand, then just go for it. You won't regret it.

20. Andre08

Andre08 New Member

Thanks for your motivational words.