1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Very Sorry for myself....How to move forward

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by laurajb, May 16, 2014.

1. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I don't regret it and I'm and FY1 in my 40's...

2. AussieBoy

AussieBoy Member

By way of balance, I regret it and I'm a med reg in my mid-40s having started med school in my late 30s.

Medical school in your 40s is a dislocating experience but the issues really begin when you hit the wards: absolute loss of control over you life for the foreseeable future, unsociable work hours, overbearing consultants plus the usual medical stressors which you can't really complain about, being an integral part of the job.

Also bear in mind that I work in Australia, rather than the car crash 2nd term Tory NHS, where doctors are actually respected and extremely well remunerated.

If anyone's interested:

http://www.afr.com/leadership/careers/australias-top-50-highest-paying-jobs-20161204-gt3uzx

18 of the top 20 are medical.

3. Andre08

Andre08 New Member

Grrrr, I don't like overbearing characters. I would find it hard not to explore given that I do that with people every day from a mental health context. Especially understanding the social construct of identity... I would find this different context and positioning hard, thanks for your feedback. I always hated controlling people, hence the reason I'm a Psychotherapist, but it's definitely something I would want to get better at as well, so maybe the exposure to that which I am not will be an opportunity to see myself for who I am... thanks for your helpful response.

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I have to admit, but I agree with this part. I think it's a lot tougher as a junior doctor in your 40's. People expect more out of you, than your younger peers. You are also out of phase with your peers in terms of where you are with your life, isolating your to an extent.

However, I don't regret it. But don't underestimate the challenges. But if it really is your calling and not a whim, you will need to see it out and find this for yourself.

5. mon06

mon06 New Member

Tks you

6. ajax

ajax Member

Oh yes.

It's been one of the most disorientating experiences of my life. My clinical partner and I are three months apart from each other, and I think our relative age compared to the majority of our cohort is a major reason for our closeness.

7. Recap

Recap New Member

Do you peers in their early to mid-30s feel the same way?

8. ajax

ajax Member

I think so. Most people who are a little bit older tend to bond with each other more closely than those straight out of uni. It's not exclusive but that's how things tend to shake out. Also, most of us in our 30s tend to be partnered, parents and homeowners and thus have less in common with the people in their early 20s.

It's worth pointing out that there is a spectrum, of course, for both chronological and emotional age.

9. Recap

Recap New Member

Thank you very much!