GAMSAT March 2015

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by Death Note, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Death Note

Death Note New Member

Hi, Just wandering if anyone is sitting the GAMSAT in March 2015?
    DO you think 4-5 months is enough time to prepare??
    Previous GAMSAT students=What resources did you use? For Section 3 Which revision guides would you recommend? Since there are many different examination boards, which is best suited for the GAMSAT?
    Thanks

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

The Griffiths GAMSAT review is a popular guide.

Then most people find some science text books that work for them.
    (Remember we all learn differently, so what works for me may not work for you.)

Personally I used the Collins "Advanced Scence" text books. Other pople have found the "Dummies guide to" books great.

I would go to a good book shop, and spend a few hours flicking through a few different text books to find the ones that engage you.

Some people with money, use the courses. In my opinion these courses frequently prey on the scared candiated and use this to extract money from them. However unless you have money to burn, to my they are only value for money those too disoprganised to structure thier on study, or so lacking in confidence they can't get through without hand holding. However if you have those issues, you may find med school a struggle...

3. Benj_med

Benj_med New Member

Usually, adequate GAMSAT preparation requires, on average, 3-6 hours per day for 3-6 months. The preparation time also depends on your past academic and life experiences.

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Not sure if this anecdotal or there is some data behind this, however the amount of prep seems to wildly vary. But the less you give it, the less your chance of succeeding.

I know a lass who prepped in under 3 months, but gave it several hours a day. She was successful and went to Swansea.
    I prepped an hours day 1 hour a day for about 6 months. With the odd Saturday as it got closer.
    But I know people who claimed to have done several hours a day for the best part of a year, and still failed.

You have to gage what your ability and what your knowledge starting point is. And budget your time accordingly. But the hard part is that for most people the exam is a big unknown!

If you know someone who's taken it, and can compare yourself against them, to decide if you need more prep, that would help. But like most things, the more you give it, the more you get back. With the key caveat being, don't burn yourself out.

5. DrTalent

DrTalent New Member

3 months prep?

Hi Martigan,

I'm addressing you directly because I've been a lurker for a while and noticed how helpful you have been to applicants such as myself.
    I'm planning on taking GAMSAT in March for the first time for 2016 entry. I'm basically giving myself two shots at it next year.
    I've done a few weeks of revision so far and it's looking more daunting the further I delve into the subject matter. Seems like a never-ending array of information and nowhere near enough time to learn everything. This is why I've panicked and sought the convenient reassurance of online strangers.

What's your opinion on being able to scrape a respectable score in 3 months? I have a BSc in Psychology (2010) and I'm using Letts Revise books for the Sciences along with Griffith's Review. For some reason, your opinion tailored to the information I have given you seems like an important thing to obtain, despite the fact that everyone learns differently and at different paces.

Anyway, look forward to your reply.
    J

6. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

It's depends on you and your backgrough really.

I know some one who has done it. But she was pretty focused and worked hard.

Did you take bio and chem when you did your a-levels? If so that makes it more do'able, as your effectively just revising.

The point to grasp about GAMSAT is that to not really about science knowledge, but about application of that knowledge.

I would estimate only about 20% of the sec III questions need the relevant knowledge. The rest, is about data interpretation, or it states the relevant science knowledge in the question and you have to applie it. But having the knowledge and familiarity with the science in question allows you to interpret and apply faster. The GAMSAT is also very much about speed and technique, which is why the practice papers are pretty key. It's a very different exam style than a-level, or about any other exam I've seen. So finding a technique that works for you is pretty fundamental.

7. Mortymort

Mortymort New Member

Hello,

Sadly, I am one of those people who did copious amounts of study and achieved a very average mark- well for the science anyway. 60,66,53- overall 58

I was doing about 19hours a week on my study and most of this was science. I also did the intensive GradMed course, so needless to say I am quite disappointed with my 53. I wonder what I would have achieved with NO study? 50? The exam is not centered around knowledge at all. In my opinion, you need to think outside the box a little and consider scientific graphs and tables and understanding them rather than focus on building up knowledge as such. Well- that's gonna be my approach now~!

All the best ;)

8. DrTalent

DrTalent New Member

Thanks for your input guys.

I've decided to use Griffiths as a guide for the main topics and am tailoring my revision to answering graph/chart-based questions and referring back to practice/sample papers to get a flavour of the types of question commonly presented.

Not long now. I'll use March as a practice run.

Good luck Mortymort on your next attempt. :)

9. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Sounds like a good start.

Griffiths was an invaluable guide for me. Re text books its a mater of finding an a-level one that suits your learning style. I went to a book shop and just browsed through the different a-level texts

10. jessica ahmed

jessica ahmed New Member

Hey,
    I am looking to apply for GAMSAT in March, on the registration I am asked to provide a CAO number. Can someone tell me what this is for please? I am hoping to sit it in London and want to use it to apply to UK universities. I don't know if I need the CAO for UK universities or if it is just for applicants to Irish universities. This part of is marked with an asterisk so I am not able to skip it and haven't got long for the deadline!!

11. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Sorry, never heard of a CAO number...

12. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

13. Princewill

Princewill Member

Hi Jessica,

The CAO number starts with 15 and I think 8 numbers long. I just put 150000000 and it let me book for the exams. I have not studied much for the exam as I am in my final lap of my nursing course finishing in March.

Please does anyone know where I can get free Gamsat preparation materials or sample/practice papers from?
    Regards

P

#13 Princewill, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  14. rock_21

rock_21 New Member

I would have to wonder if you'd trust 'free' preparation material to get you into Med School :rolleyes::confused::confused: