George's Vs Bart's

Discussion in 'St George's, University of London' started by MediMatt, Apr 27, 2006.

1. MediMatt

MediMatt New Member

Hello All!

I have offers from Barts and Georges. I REALLY can’t decide which to accept. What are the real differences between them? Which is considered 'better' (I know, i know, there’s no such thing as a 'better' med school... but really! lol)

Most of you guys seem pretty motivated and bright, and in similar situations to me. Your opinions would mean a lot to me.

In my place what would you choose?

People say georges is small, but i get the impression barts is pretty isolated from QMUL in practice so that doesn’t make it much bigger, does it?

I know there is a large Asian community at barts and QM, although i'm in no way at all saying this is a bad thing it might make it harder to integrate for a scrawny white-kid such as myself - thoughts?

Is it true that barts don’t guarantee halls if you live inside the M25??? This is NOT good for me!

Somebody told me that there are a huge number (quoted at 80%) graduates and mature students on the 5-year prog at SGHMS. Considering the year intake is only like 130, does this leave me with only 26 odd people of my age?

Help me, please. I wanna make the right decision here seing as its gonna be 5-6 years of my life!

Thanks alot in advance guys.

Matt

2. supersal

supersal New Member

Its nothing like 80% graduates and mature students on the 5 year st georges course - more like 20% i think. They have the GEP course remember which is all for graduates...

3. KX36

KX36 New Member

yeah, almost everyone on the 5yr MBBS at SGUL is fresh from college or a gap year.

i don't know what the racial percentrages are at QM, but at george's for the first years i'd say it's probbably around 45% white; 35% indic, arabic, middle eastern etc; 15% mongoloid and about 5% black.
    On the first year biomed course, almost everyone is middle eastern or indic, about 10 of us are white and about 3 are black. coming from whitey-ville, surrey, it was quite a culture shock for me.

4. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

5 year course - brats wiffout a shadow of a doubt.
    4 year grad course - SGUL.

sorri - bit late lol... ope not too late!

5. JH

JH New Member

bear in mind Gizmo will ALWAYS be bias to Bart's ;)

6. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

interesting observation.

but -
    Why precisely and exactly wuld i be biased towards barts?

My post actually says SGUL for the 4 year. HOw precisely is that bias towards barts as well?

aha.
    see the truth is a powerful fing, macca.

7. JH

JH New Member

Nothing wrong with being biased towards Barts Gizmo, dont get so worked up about it. And yes you are quite right, one comment doesn't mean you are biased towards something. But your other posts on this forum and others does proof it :) aha. The truth is indeed a powerful fing 'macca'

8. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

so do you mean one, or the other? wats your truth? or iz your truth one or the other of two alternatives as you've quoted ?

is it the truth that i'm getting ahem wurked up about it by questioning you, lol? or is it merely you dont ave a truth to offer yet?

if i wuz biased towards barts, how do you explain me prefering the SGUL 4 yr course over brats?

aha.
    advantage Gee.

9. JH

JH New Member

I dont have to explain anything to you but seriously, you need to calm down about this. You are turning this good thread into a rant and a slag match. Something we dont appreciate on this forum.

Thank you :)

10. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

just asking you a question which you appear unable to answer, macca.

you keep referring to this 'rant' fing. which rant fing?
    or that you being defensive?

smilies can be added if you feel this is a rant, mind hehe.

11. JH

JH New Member

you're the one making all the false accusations and asking all the questions. It is you who are being defensive.

Why the big reaction to all of this gizmo? Reading back to earlier posts, it's comical to see how you've errupted.

Smilies are not representive of rants but you are more than welcome to use them if you feel the need to add weight to what you must say.

12. Chris_Cal

Chris_Cal Member

*runs and hides*

13. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

Now you've got past that.... i'm stil waitin for your answa - where exactly is my bias that you profess to, in ma original post where i suggest one uni for one course, and one uni for the other?
    exactly where? v. curious.

14. JH

JH New Member

Ooo you are using quotes now, dont let it get personal will you. To be honest though, this thing has dragged on long enough. The thread has deviated from its original intent already. So for the sake of others, stop whining.

15. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

i'm not sure ow many ways i can put this question to you befor you stop avioding this directly relevant question, JH.

where is the bias?

i've got time.

16. Chris_Cal

Chris_Cal Member

play nicely now children.

+ come to georges whoever started this thread as il be there! woohoo, now if that isnt an incentive i dont know what is! :) No seriously im lovely, i dont bite!

17. JH

JH New Member

Gizmo is not representative of what it's like at George's. I apologise to all who has had to endure Gizmo's naive antics.

18. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

thanks JH-macca.

Clearly one uni for one course, one for another. Where is the bias you said i showed in the abuv?

You've called me a lot of fings since i made that post, and i've said nuffing orrible to you in reply. But am stil waitin for your meaningful reply to this question.

#18 Gizmo says -, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  19. JH

JH New Member

Who said anything about the above quote? Dont jump the gun. Besides I've said nothing horrible in return either, so don't assume. Not every nice of you to twist my words.

#19 JH, Jul 1, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  20. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

i'll tek it these unsubstantiated posts i'm referring to of yours are sum special code meaning you fink i'm fab then -

so now we're past that, we return to the question in 'and.

if in ma opinion, i can recommend -
    ie. one course from both brats and georges, then where exactly is the bias towards brats that you profess?
    you wuld prefer me to recommend both courses to georges and reject both at brats and then you'd be appy i'm not biased? You'd be satisfied that i'm not being biased ONLY if i deliberately biased by opinion to suit you? If not that, then wat are you expecting? please explain.

i am 'appy to 'ear your forts on this matter, JH.

#20 Gizmo says -, Jul 1, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2006