1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going onto do medicine with a history degree?

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by ebrady24, Dec 14, 2016.

1. ebrady24

ebrady24 New Member

Hi all,

This may seem like an unconventional question, but I essentially want to know if it's possible - and to what extent I'd have to go to - to obtain a degree in medicine after my history degree. (Presuming I get a 2:1, that is.)

You may be wondering why I didn't apply for medicine in the first place. Firstly, and most importantly: I never thought I'd be good enough for medicine. It was always the unattainable career for me, reserved for those with godlike IQs. Secondly, I did for a while think that it would be my nightmare career. The reason for this is that I spent a couple of weeks shadowing medical professionals at a hospital near me, and I thought that I detested it - it all seemed to dull, and all I wanted to do was go home and sleep. It's recently became clear to me that I didn't hate the shadowing at all, I was actually suffering from poor mental health, and truly, nothing seemed interesting or comforting to me.

This leads onto my grades. AS year (I'm in the UK) I had on-and-off bouts with poor mental health, culminating in disordered eating during exam period. I restricted myself to 1200 calories per day for a month before and during exams, and was averaging five hours sleep per night. Consequently, the longer the exams went on, the worse I did. First was history: I got an A. Then biology and English: both Bs. Then chemistry was last: I got an E. Very poor grade, I know. But I will profess that I wasn't in my best state, and had certainly done better than that all year.

As for A2 grades, obviously I carried on with everything but chem. My A-Level results are A*AC, with the C unfortunately in Biology, 1 UMS off a B. I'm gutted - I did really well in all of the papers but the last unit, which I *just* passed, but of course it dropped my mark considerably. I have noted that all of my class didn't do well on that paper: even the guy doing medicine in my class only got a B.

However, I don't want to make tonnes of excuses for myself and my own failures. Those qualities aren't the makings of a good doctor. What I want to know is...my AS and A2 grades are what they are. With this being the case, would it be possible to do med anywhere?

Some other info about me:
    GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AABBBBB -- Bs in chem, bio and maths. I had to resit maths twice to get a B. (I know, I know.)
    AS: ABBE
    A2: A*AC

Work experience: two weeks in a hospital.
    I have done various things for charity, such as kayaking ten miles for a cancer charity, helping with the local sports events every year, etc.

Obviously, if I do apply for medicine, I'll make sure my experience and volunteering etc is up to standard. I'm more concerned with the academic side, including: will I be intelligent enough for med school, if I even get in?

#1 ebrady24, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

One of the best students on my grad course was a history grad. Only about half the grad courses accept non-science degrees. And a lot of these are not bothered about your a-levels. It's about picking your course.

Andre08 and ebrady24 like this.
  3. ebrady24

ebrady24 New Member

Even if I did get a C in biology?

I know Newcastle accepts students with non-science degrees, so that could hopefully be an option.

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

It depends on the course.
    For some you only need an E. Most seem to value Chem more.

5. ebrady24

ebrady24 New Member

Right, I see! So I could potentially do a chemistry A2, and resit chem AS?

6. Andre08

Andre08 New Member

Enlightenment is understanding that there is nowhere to go, nothing to do, and nobody you have to be except who you're being right now.

I thought I wanted to share that with you. You are in a great position to do the GAMSAT and apply at St George for the 4 year course for example. I'm 42 and even though I have a string degrees as well as almost a PhD in Psychotherapy, I'm sitting the GAMSAT in Sept 2018. For now, just the beingness of getting to know more about myself learning all of the sciences. The adventure of the moment. Have fun.