GP training

Discussion in 'General Practice' started by x222, Nov 24, 2009.

1. x222

x222 New Member

hi guys!
    i was wondering if anyone could tell me wether gp speciality training is 3 years or is it 5 years after FY2. I've heard that it has been changed to 5 years so jus wanted to make sure.
    thanks for you help :)

2. BrummyJ

BrummyJ New Member

I would also like to know the answer to this question. I have heard a similar rumour that it is changing to 5 years. I have not seen anything on the Royal College website or other announcements via my google searching.

ANYbody know???

#2 BrummyJ, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  3. Lyns

Lyns New Member

According to the doctors i know who are training to be GPs it has increased to 5 years post foundation years. It's so that GPs get more hospital experience and therefore hopefully will be better at diagnosis in primary care :)

4. elz

elz New Member

its 4 years isnt it?

5. hapham31

hapham31 New Member

I wish I could help you but that is only for new students

6. John Wright

John Wright New Member

I have just completed my MBBS, thinking to take a route of becoming a GP or a Family Practitioner. I was wondering if it is worth doing a postgraduate diploma now or wait a bit after gaining some experience? There some good courses on the market, some are almost entirely online, for example Postgraduate diplomas from Rila Institute of Health Sciences and Plymouth University, London (gpcourses.co) They offer courses from Cardiology, Diabetes, Dermatology to even Minor Surgery. Any one has any suggestions?