"Gradmed" Gamsat course Imperial College

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by plica04, Sep 18, 2003.

1. plica04

plica04 New Member

Is anyone enrolling on the Gradmed course this year? It is a Gamsat preparation course run out of Imperial College in London. Has anyone gone there in recent years and could tell me if it was worth the money? It is quite pricey but they say about 70% of those who do the course get an interview.

Is this dubious self-promotion and would I be wasting my money?! There is no consenus view on how to actually prepare for the Gamsat. Expensive prep courses benefiting those with money is the downside to Acer and the participating medical schools not giving us more information on what is examinable and how to prepare for this exam.

2. shami

shami New Member

well in their lit. gradmed do mention a highest score (86 i think) one of their students got. coincidentally at the recent sghms open day recently, this score was mentioned as being the highest for a candidate for 2003 entry.

having read their lit. too it does sound like a well-structured course but sooo expensive........

3. plica04

plica04 New Member

How many of those 15 people who chose not to do Gradmed got an interview?? I'm not trying to sell this course by the way, I'm just looking for some way to corroborate their claim, which seems pretty impressive.

I agree with shami, it does look like a well structured course. However it is clearly science heavy and geared at non-science people. They give 16 days of classes to section 3 and only 3 days of classes to all of section 1 and 2!

I'd still love to hear from anyone else who has concrete knowledge of this course if anyone knows!

Cheers :)

4. Janey

Janey New Member

How much is it then - is it a full time thing?

5. big g

big g New Member

janey,
    the gradmed courses are held on a number of weekends in the autumn, so if you work full time you can still do them. if you do the science, written communication, maths courses (ie all of them) the bill comes to just over £2k. I'm considering doing it next year (provided i get sponsorship this year for my dissertation and not be completely broke at the end of university), the alternative is to do A level chemistry and not do gamsat.

6. simran

simran New Member

i have applied for the one day class for section one of the gamsat, and that cost me £165. I also applied for the half day maths for science course for £75. Is anyone else doing the same courses.
    Also Des o Neil prices for 8 marked essays are £72 and they also give you all the science material u need to learn for around £160. that is over 500 a4 sides of notes. if you want all the science note, the essay preparation, and a three day revision class in london covering over 400 practice questions in december, the cost is £570. This course is more balanced, has been running longer, and is far cheaper than the gradmed.

I'm applying for 2004 entry, anyone in sw london who wants to form a study group?

7. Janey

Janey New Member

yes that is cheaper :? - i've half booked with gradmed to do chemistry, section 1 and section 2 which comes in at about £1k ish. Though havent paid them yet. Also live in SW london - revision group sounds good.

8. simran

simran New Member

janey where i sw london? how about i get the ozimed papers and we can share the cost?

9. simran

simran New Member

where in i mean. and have u received the timetable from gradmed yet? do u know when the section 1 course is?

10. Janey

Janey New Member

SW3 at the mo - which papers do you mean? would def be interested in their £160 science material package, as am only doing chemistry at gradmed. did bio degree but prob very rusty! :oops:

11. Janey

Janey New Member

no - no timetable as yet think i start chem on 4 Oct, Maria at Gradmed said the others would be in nov

12. simran

simran New Member

sw3? im in hanworth, i could easily commute to kingston if ur interested. Gotta go now- lectures!

13. Rachael

Rachael New Member

Simran, Janey

If you're starting a study group I'd def be interested - I'm planning to take GAMSAT Jan 2004. I've just finished Open University S103 course as prep - would like to spend the next few months revising, and sharing ideas sounds good. I'm Guildford but can get up to London / Kingston easily.

Cheers, Rachael

14. Janey

Janey New Member

whats OU s103? is that a pre med course? its so daunting thinking about revising for an exam that is so harsh....

will you be working full time too? i will - theres just not enough time in the day..... :(

15. Rachael

Rachael New Member

S103 is the OU's 'Discovering Science' module - it's basically a foundation course in physics, chemistry and biology with a bit of Earth science thrown in. It's at approximately AS / A2 level, with 10-15 hours of study per week. I've really enjoyed it, although I'm sweating a bit at the moment over the last assignment!

Yep, I'm working full time ...

16. stevievee

stevievee New Member

Mother of God! :shock:

I just checked out some gradmed GAMSAT stuff - a long passage by Virginia Woolf about a kid and a fridge and various questions. I'm not exactly thick, but does this gamsat have passages like that? I'm not into paying a small fortune to be humiliated so I'd like to know just how hard it is. I should be able to hold my own on science sections but may need special english remedial classes to cope with this shabba. I REALLY want this but .... help me someone please. :roll: Are there past papers you can pick up online without forking out a mint????

............two THOUSAND pounds for a prep course????? :shock: It'd need to be water tight. Makes me wish I'd revised for my A-levels. :!:

s

17. Janey

Janey New Member

I KNOW!!!!!

I saw that one too and am thinking - can there really be that many people doing this that could have got all that correct? May be being overly optimistic but i dont think there are that many genius people out there.....i hope :?

18. stevievee

stevievee New Member

So what are you gonna do????

Are you doing GAMSAT or leaving it a while? I don't know if i can cope with doing GYMKIT and a masters and a teacher training thing. Oh and work. Are you forking out for the Imp College thing? They sent me some stuff and it looks alright but Gee i don't know what to do.

Though a like this face :shock: :shock: :shock: Looks more stoned than shocked.

19. Janey

Janey New Member

well i've now booked in for the imperial college one as i'm thinking that something structured like that will make me do some work - especially as it starts on saturday! :shock: the stuff they send you about the profile of the courses is quite a good revision guide in itself...

it seems just fitting everything in is the problem......the bills still have to be paid!

are you training to be a teacher?

20. plica04

plica04 New Member

Janey

Have you recieved any info back from Gradmed yet then? Like where exactly are classes held and stuff? I hope they give us lots of notes, 'cos I'll need them.

I was looking at Gamsat sample papers and it seems you really DO need to know lots of facts. Its not just about how you can interpret and manipulate information.

Anyways, see ya saturday. x