has anybody successfully reapplied after dropping out?

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by dialogue, Apr 15, 2004.

1. dialogue

dialogue New Member

hi there! i was just wondering if there are any mature students who have been succesful in reapplying to med school after dropping out of medicine at another uni. i know i'm sounding self-obsessed (again) but i'm having alot of problems and think i just need some time out, but don't know if my uni is going to let me suspend studies for a while. so i was just wondering if i would have any hope of regaining a place at another med school if i was to end up dropping out. also, i'm 27 and think this might be another disadvantage...... just wondering if anyone else has had to drop out before and been able to get a place elsewhere.....?
    thanks to anyone who replies .

2. Wuzz

Wuzz New Member

I'd talk to your tutor firstly. In my experience, Universities really don't want you to drop out (bad for their records) so if you explain the difficulties you're having, then I'm fairly sure they should be able to accommodate?

3. rajreturns!

rajreturns! New Member

Yes. As Wuzz says a lot depends on contacting the relevant party about your problems early on, whether they are at your own uni or another. I guess different unis have different policies too - and yet.... even stalwart none-accepters like Leeds (who flatly state 'no reapplicants' in their website)will bend the rules if your case is built on solid grounds.
    You need a very very good argument for dropping out and reapplying before your end of year exams. At Georges we took on several reapplicants, for instance, from universities as far apart as Nottingham to Singapore's.

......after failing your exams you need an even better reason! I had a damn good reason for my 'hiccup' in exams, having returned to study after an eleven year break. Normally I'd have got to resit the year (historically people with far less marks than me had done so) but my old med school was too broke to honour its policy on resits that year so they cancelled the resit procedure fro almost the entire year (they lied about the cash crisis and instead told me I was unsuitable for medicine.....hmph... :roll: ). A damn good reason for me to reapply then! But I have no complaints now. :) Even if I can hardly afford to go back now I've got a £10,000 student loan to pay off first.....

A lot depends on your reason for reappyling then.
    My advice is...dont even get in that boat, mind. Stick your course out if you can, as far as you can, unless the shit is really hitting the fan OR the staff start lying to you as they did with me....

4. Kev

Kev Guest

As the others have said you really must go and discuss your concerns with your tutors, I am sure they will be sympathetic and will help in whatever way they can. Over the years they will undoubtedly have met other students with similar difficulties and will hopefully have some practical advice and solutions for you.

If in the end you decide to leave and re-apply elsewhere I am almost certain the medical schools you apply to will contact Edinburgh regarding your re-application for medicine, so it is best to have left on reasonable terms with Edinburgh and to have demonstrated that you tried to resolve your difficulties rather than just "giving up".

I hope you manage sort things out. Good luck.

5. Admissions

Admissions New Member

Speaking as Head of Admissions at Barts and The London, my advice to you is if at all possible stick with where you are. It's a complete gamble trying to transfer to other universities and the ones that accept transfers are very strict about the circumstances. Also you have to have a supportive reference, passed all your exams, and your home institution has to be willing to allow you to leave.

Of course having said that there are always some reasons why leaving might be the only option but if you can stick it out with some help from your senior tutor or support services, then you should try to do so.

We do accept transfers btw, with serious extenuating circumstances, but subject to all of the above (and only into the third year).

6. dialogue

dialogue New Member

thanks so much everyone for the advice. i know that i am going to sound a bit dodgy saying this, but truthfully, i do not think that my reasons for dropping out are strong enough to warrant a transfer, but i was wondering ....if i drop out & re-apply, do the univerities i apply to have to know that i have dropped out? i'm not saying what i am proposing is wise, but is there no way that that information can be kept from prospective unis. i know that sounds super-shifty, but i'm just wondering about the legal implications. thanx so much :( :(

7. pretoria

pretoria New Member

I think you do. The UCAS form requires you to disclose all courses you have done and institutions attended I seem to remember. Plus how will you account for that time otherwise? You would have to make things up, and lying to gain a place is surely fraudulent.

I do know of someone who dropped out at 18 and then got back in at 29, but she had done a lot of stuff in the meantime that made selectors willing to reconsider her.

You should think very seriously about talking your problems through with your current medical school. You might find you can take a year out, or something like that, which would mean you keep your place.

8. dialogue

dialogue New Member

thanks so much for all your wonderful advice people. i have had such a rough year, and now i've missed so much work i'll be lucky if they let me continue on the course, but i have requested to resit the year, and hopefully they wil consider.............

but just one more question. i know i'm neurotic! but i was just wondering if anybody in the know would be able to tell me if i would be considered to study medicine again if i took some time out & did a BSc. i just really want to be a doctor, and would try anything, but think i've blown my chances :(

9. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

If you have a good reason then try ringing the new unis now, like PMS and UEA.

If you really want it from the horses mouth but you dont wanna blow your cover, Chief, then write to such med schools with an Alias name.

So far I know ov -

1. Lady who got pregnant and had to leave...her med school wouldnt give her leave so she reapplied afta her baby arrived in the 1980s.
    2. Chap who reapplied after his med school changed their resit rules (due to severe financial problems in the school), thus was failed and so applied and got an offa dis year (YEY! :) ).
    3. Lady who did another degree and reapplied five years later, and got into GEP in 2001.
    4. Person who dropped out then reapplied the following year fradulentyl and got into Kings in 2002. ( :shock: )

so i know it can de done, macca, by hook or by crook, and by foul meanz or fair. (I dont advocate being unfair at all, mind).