1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Personal Statements

Discussion in 'Personal Statements and UCAS forms' started by theicemaiden, Apr 30, 2006.

1. InternalOptimist

Did you manage to make it in the end Kohl?

2. Kohl

Kohl New Member

Yes, I did! Off to Swansea in a few months :)

3. chrissicooper

chrissicooper New Member

Oh wow! Well done!

I'm struggling to even know where to start on my PS!
    I really hate things like this! :(
    What sorts of things would you recommend to be included?!

4. LePomS

LePomS Member

i need the same help as chrissicooper.

i dont know where to start anymore, I wrote one before but it was too mushy lol
    I guess you just got to start then let people tear it up and tell you to how to do it properly.

5. Zedd

Zedd Member

Ditto.

"And if he should apply, he should becometh a doctor." - Me.

Bad way of beginning a PS? :p

6. chrissicooper

chrissicooper New Member

I have to say it's a little cheesy ;)

7. DReamer93

DReamer93 New Member

Hey... I would be really grateful if someone (pref a doctor or med student) could read my statement. I am (re)applying to the 6 year medicine course (including a foundation year). This is my last chance and I really really need to get it right!!:eek:

8. fsabir

fsabir New Member

Im applying for medicine after a 4 year slog with Pharmacy, I really want to get into Leeds uni but everyone tells me I have no chance, would be so grateful if someone is willing to help me with my personal statement

9. InternalOptimist

Hey Fsabir,

I am more than happy to help you out. Why do you want to go to Leeds of all the Unis?

Also people above (DReamer93 LePomS etc) if you still need help please give me a PM for my email address, more than happy to help you out.

I started mine in what I thought was an original way by talking about how I love science, and medicine combines this love with spending time with people, something else I enjoy. (obviously much more eloquently... I like to think...) - Anyway, it turned out most of the other people at my med-school wrote something similar, so perhaps not original, but an effective area to start in.
    If you can think of something original and eye-catching then yeah do it! Make you stand out! But very risky, as it may make you look like an arrogant fool / just a fool, and they won't even bother reading the rest...

PM me :)

10. fsabir

fsabir New Member

It close to home but my main reason is that I really like the unil I've been to open days and I can see myself studying there for 5 years. I'll PM you for your email address I need all the help I can get!

11. InternalOptimist

Liking the Uni and the course are the best reasons :) Glad you have found somewhere you like the look of!

Will PM you my email :)

12. Gee

Gee New Member

Hi I would really appreciate some help with my personal statement as I have no idea if it's right and I need to make it shorter.
    My top choices are Kings college London and Queen Marys, and I will hopefully also apply to Imperial and Newcastle, but they are all really good universities so I need a good personal statement to help me stand out! Thanks :)

13. Matt1987

Matt1987 New Member

14. Zedd

Zedd Member

15. snakefisch

snakefisch Member

Hey Zedd, is that service safe you reckon? I'd quite like someone to read mine over, but not sure if people will steal my ideas from there lol! It says you can be a reviewer yourself if you are a graduate or even undergraduate. I'm just worried about someone plagiarising me before I even submit my own! That's pretty cool you get a response in 5 days though.

16. Zedd

Zedd Member

Yeah, basically only people with 'ps helper' status can view your statement so no one else can get their grubby mitts on your work. I'm not sure if ps helpers that are undergraduates, like yourself and I, are able to view other medical applicants personal statements... there does seem to be a certain amount of conflict of interest there. However, I think you get vetted and have to be voted into the position so it should be safer.

17. richadam

richadam Member

Sorry to hijack, but while you're on the thread Zedd, are you filling up your UCAS choices, or just apply for med schools?

18. richadam

richadam Member

And from that, my question... if I was to add a 5th choice on there, within Science/Healthcare, what would the admissions people think at that University do you think?

19. Zedd

Zedd Member

4 MBChB, 1 BDS. The BDS is mainly just to fill up my choices rather than being a serious application, and with my PS being medicine-centric I doubt I will be considered anyway. I'm not sure about other healthcare professions... but to be honest, the only two degrees that would be both interesting to me and worth my time are medicine and dentistry. I sent away my application just over a week ago.

I think if you were to use a science degree as a backup that, unless the department is quite elitist, you would probably be given an offer.

20. InternalOptimist

I used a science degree as a back-up (Newcastle used to guarantee to shift a couple from a science degree to medicine each year, dunno if they still do this) though I am not sure I would have taken this if I didn't get in. Most of my friends who applied to a science degree as a back up got accepted, so it is a good back up, but then you need to think whether you would rather take one gap year to strengthen your application, or a three year degree and apply as a graduate.