1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helped i missed my grades - What now?

Discussion in 'A-Levels' started by Clarkey, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey I have girl bits ok? :)

Hello fair forum users.

With it being results day, some of you will be in the unfortunate position of having missed your grades. You may have expected it, or it may have come completely out of the blue. However with everyone celebrating and talking about uni it can be hard to figure out what to do next.

This thread is mainly for people to gain support from other people who are, and who have been in the same position.

If you have acheived the grades you required then fantastic! Please have some sensitivity towards those who aren´t in your position and limit yourself to one of the main threads aimed at yourselves.

I was intending this post to be longer and hopefully i´ll add to it, but i´m on holiday at the moment and the time difference means i should be somewhere else!

Options: Here are a few options you may consider

1. Obtaining a remark of your paper if you believe it to be marked wrongly

2. Taking a gap year to retake your A level(s) if you think you would be considered favourably by medical schools second time round

3. Accepting a place at your non medical insurance or going through clearing to find another course which you are interested in.

This forum is a great place for support, i was in the same position myself 3/4 years ago and i remember how stressful it was.

Please make use of the thread, hopefully someone will be able to give better advice than me!

2. Maryam M

Maryam M New Member

Hi guys.....

I really hope im not the only one!
    I was perdicted AAB and got BBBD ( i think all the thanks for that is due to the 4th A level)!
    Now i have absolutley no idea what to do...i mean eveyone is telling me that theyre not bad grades and that i could do almost anything (at UWE:p ) but thats not what i want to do.....
    Ive been working to become a doctor since well before my year 6 SATS....as you can probably imagine i cant even begin to contemplate doing anything else.. I was holding a firm offer with Barts and naturally they rejected me..so as far as im concered there are 3 things i could do....

1) Retake my A levels and get AAA
    Problem with that is whos gna even look at me if i retake (ie unis) and whats the garuntee ill ge6t a place anywhere in 2008?! then ill be stuk!

2) Grad medicine
    problem with that is i dont know if i have that kinda patience left in me...4 yrs doing a degree i dnt wanna...and the expense!:confused:

3) Quit while im ahead
    Problem with that is its my parents favourite and whatever happens i am not gna give up yet.

This is, well my take- after a whole day of phonecalls and tears yesterday...
    this is how it looks in the morning..

now guys id be really grateful for a bit of help in which one you think is best...

would be eternally grateful for any help/ advive from people in similar situations whose schools actually help them! or from people who have been through it before...
    or from anyone else who rekons they know!

Thanks for reading my confused dribble...hope it makes sense..

Maryam xxx

3. mussed

mussed New Member

I'm really sorry. As someone just going into grad medicine though - it really doesn't have to take that long. I spent three years on my BA and will graduate from my GEM at 24, and elsewhere on this forum there's a girl who missed her grades first time around and is now starting GEM following her BSc. You may well decide to spend six years at medical school anyway. It is more expensive, but at the moment not prohibitively so because you get more help with your fees. But, don't rush into anything - take time to work out what you want to do, and if that involves a gap year it's really not wasted time. Best of luck.

4. Maryam M

Maryam M New Member

Thankyou!
    Yeh i think Graduate entry may be the safest route to go down...with retaking noone is garunteed to accept me as i have no extenuating circs and there is no garuntee i will get 3 A's..
    Am holding an offer at UWE for biomed...so all is not lost...
    Thanks again!
    xx

5. ads

ads New Member

hey maryam
    I have sum friends in exactly the same position and there are many positive possibilities. There are universities that will goive you a fair chance provided you do get AAA. But if you don't want to do that then i suggest you accept a biomed place. Many unsuccessful medical candidates really enjoy the course for its similarities to the medicine course and at the end of that you will be more mature and prepared for gettinig in through graduate entry. I probably just repeated what otheres said!! but anyway i hope that helps and good luck!

6. Fried_Rice

Fried_Rice New Member

Just to echo the opinion of everyone else. I think without extenuating circumstances, graduate entry will be the best way to go. Once you have a degree your A level results will pale in comparison so many more options will be open to you, compared to the limited selection of unis which accept se-sits.

Don't feel too down by your results, this sort of thing happens to the best of people sometimes! *virtual hugs*

ps. There are certain biomed courses that offer people the chance of transferring after year 1 into medicine - Newcastle is one of those. However, this is also ridiculously competitive, but if it was one of the universities you were considering either way, it could be worth considering as it does give you that one extra chance at medicine.

7. sal3469

sal3469 New Member

hey maryam,
    Theres another option. Univ of Bradford offer a 'clinical sciences' course. Its a 3yr degree, with the option to transfer into yr 2 of medicine at Leeds. Thats conditional upon getting 60% in your first yr exams and subject to interview etc.Every yr Leeds keep a number of places open for the clinical sciences students. Its worth a try. If you dont make it into leeds, the course allows you to switch to a degree such as biomed.
    That was one of my back up options- and it was for many of my friends too. They have places available in clearing.
    All the best.

8. Muffin2

Muffin2 New Member

Univ of Bradford offer a 'clinical sciences' course. Thats conditional upon getting 60% in your first yr exams and subject to interview etc.

Hi just to say this is what i did and i got in. i'm now going to leeds in september. Just so you know the grade boundary is going up to 65%. I'd go for it if i were you. Taking a yr out and resisting is not a good idea as most university's won't take resist candidates, and if they do they'll want 3 A's.
    I urge you to go for bradford clin sci, ring them asap, its a fantastic course and if you don't get in, stay on clin sci and do post grad.
    good luck

9. ksmith19

ksmith19 New Member

Hey i really feel for you i was in your position last year. i needed AAb to get into manchester but got ABB. you need to take time to decide what is right for you dont be pressured by teachers or family to go into something your not 100%. the clinical science option at bradford is something you definately should apply for i did last year and they offered me a place. It is definately a good idea if you cant face resisting your A-levels. For me though clearing was too manic a rushed i decided to leave it until next year so i was sure i ended up doing something i would enjoy what i actually did is went back to six form and re-sat and it was the right decision for me i got my results yesterday AAA and i am going to manchester in september. although this will be a hard week for you and feel like its the end of the world it really isnt keep your chin up and there is always next year. Everyone told me to give up on medicine too and just take another course but i couldnt do it like you it is something i really wanted and had to give it another chance.
    Good luck with it all
    katie x

10. NV05

NV05 Active Member

Resitting is a very viable option: I was in exactly the same position as Katie, resat and reapplied and got in.

Other than Bradford, there are numerous other foundation courses offered at Lincoln and St Georges, but I believe there are some certain circumstances you need to be in to get on those courses.

11. elz

elz New Member

yea i think they take BBB for some of the foundation and 6yr medicine courses eg st georges. or u could retake ur a levels and just make sure u apply to ones that accept retakes and dont see it as a disadvantage. ie unis like manchester dont care too much as long as u can show improvement - or so they told me. u still did really well, so dont give up, it just might take a lil bit longer. i did a degree with the OU so it was cheaper, but the worst thing is having to do 3 years of something u really dont wanna be doing. whatever u do, get more experience and do whatever extra curricula stuff u can! i even found a distant learning course in anatomy th other day, hmmm.

12. algy_lacey

algy_lacey Member

I'm a graduate, about to start the five-year course at Sheffield. I chose to do another degree first - I had no intention of studying Medicine back when I was 17/18. I really appreciate the extra maturity those few years have given me, and I feel a lot more confident that I have made the decision to study Medicine for the right reasons. You might think that I would therefore be jumping up and down and saying, if you missed your grades then do another degree and then apply as a graduate - but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. I especially wouldn't recommend jumping into another degree now while you're feeling vulnerable and unsure about your future. I did my first degree in a subject that I was passionate about, that I believed I had a real future in (and which actually guided me to Medicine, so I suppose I was right). I benefited from that experience.

If you do another degree first, in a subject you're not that into, just for the sake of being able to reapply for Medicine as a graduate, are you really going to be able to work hard enough to get a good result at the end of it? Are you going to be able to spend those three years dedicated to something else without resenting it the whole time? Are you willing to go about £21,000 into debt with the student loans company doing a first degree that you didn't even want to do, and then realise that means you have to pay your tuition fees for Medicine up front as a graduate...?

If I was faced with the very difficult situation that many people here are facing, I would take a year out. I would contact as many universities as possible between now and October 15th and find out who would accept me as a resit candidate (and there are some). I would also see if there were any access to Medicine courses that might acccept me. I would then dedicate that year to resitting my A-levels, bearing in mind that pretty much any university willing to accept a resit candidate would be looking for AAA. I'd also apply to a well-researched non-medicine course (like Biomedical sciences) as a back-up. It's a bit like gambling - there's a risk of taking a year longer to get into Medicine if you do end up taking the graduate route anyway (although if you then got onto a GEP, that would be cancelled out), but there's also a chance of saving two years and an awful lot of money.

That said, for some people doing another degree first may be the only chance they have of ultimately getting into Medicine. Do what you feel is best, but do it after careful consideration.

13. ~...arzoo...~

~...arzoo...~ New Member

hi guys, ye im same position gt abb thnx 2 chem cswrk. im already on gap yr coz gt 4 str8 rejections lst yr n declined offas 2 do pharmacy. nw im gna av 2 do gap yr n do phrmacy degree after that. tlk bout waste of a yr.

im seriously tinkn graduate entry nw bt my head of 6th form tinks im 2 dumb 2 do med neway so shud gve up but iv workd hard 4 med 2 gve up nw. it took me a hell of a long tym and massive arguements b4 parents agreed 2 lemme stay at uni 4 med. even if i dnt gt in2 grad dn hospital pharm closest im gna gt 2 being doc.

i tik if ur reali dedic8 2 med dn go 4 grad entry coz nt many uni's like resits wivout gd reason. bt bear in mind it still competitive n u mite nt get in dn eitha so do degree u'l b comfortable doin 4 rest of ur life. gd luck.

14. Clarkey

Clarkey I have girl bits ok? :)

I think algy_lacey has taken the words right out of my mouth.

If you honestly believe you could get AAA if you resit, and you want to do medicine badly enough then maybe resitting is an option. There are places that would consider you.

Doing a different degree is another viable option and it can open up other avenues if you later decide medicine is not for you. I remember reading somewhere that if you are going for grad entry medicine that it is better to do something that stands out a bit e.g. anatomy, physiology etc rather than biomed, but i can´t find it at the moment so don´t do that just because of my say so! I respect people doing biomed because i could never do it myself, and would find it disheartening being on a course where so many people wanted to do medicine. At Southampton my friends doing biomed all applied for medicine at the end, and only one of them got in. However that isn´t to say biomed isn´t a good option, it prepares you very well for medicine.

If i hadn´t got in after resitting, i would have gone and one a midwifery degree if i had got in, or an english lit degree because i love both areas of study and could see myself doing well. The thought of having to get a 2:1 in biomed scares the beep out of me!

Good luck whatever you decide, at least there are people with different opinions here to help you :)

15. noworries

noworries New Member

Don't really know what to do.
    Missed the offer by a grade. A couple of marks actually. Getting the paper remarked but I don't have much hope.
    SO where am I now?:confused:
    Only want to do medicine. Biomedical science was mt backup but I don't think it's me. Can't get me head around the idea of spending 3 or 4 years doing a degree I don't really have any interest in. No offence meant to biomedical people there.
    So do I resit a module or do I have to resit the entire 6?:confused:
    Made a few phone calls. Some unis won't consider resitters. Some will only consider them if I applied to them before. I think there are only 3 I can apply to. And as someone said the AAB threshold moves to AAA. And they also want the 4th AS.
    I have no idea what else I'd want to do. Next year there are 5 options instead of 6. There will be the UKCAT thingy again. And if I go down that route of reapplying for 2008 then I'd have to register for that fast. And this year there are new sections in it.
    Spoke to my school to get one paper remarked but they aren't really helpful.
    Just don't know what to do.

16. wayne_rooney

wayne_rooney New Member

i really wanna get one of my bio papers i took in june to get re-marked as soon as possible......but my sixth form is closed. what should i do? please help me.

MARYAM and NOWORRIES, what are u guys planning to do? please let me know cos im in a similar situation too, except i wanna do dentistry.:(

#16 wayne_rooney, Aug 17, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  17. Kid_50

Kid_50 New Member

hi all! congrats to all dat got xcepted and ma heart goes to those who didnt.
    i missed out the criteria by ONE mark! and the university has made it VERY clear that they will not b takin me on board this year :( they have suggested that i get ma units re-marked and if i were to get it raised they would honour the change.

i was just curious wot are the chances of it being increased as i hav taken the DESPERATE route and paid to get 5 units re marked.
    im fully aware it may happen but has n e 1 heard of a case whereby a paper was marked DOWN?

many thanks for takin the time out to read and i hope we all meet down the road in a few years time in our white coats :)

18. wannabeemed123

wannabeemed123 New Member

hey ev1. ive also missed the grades needed :(...i got ABB and am realli near to the A's in both! i feel soo depressed and have no idea what 2 do! just want to say thanx to those who have taken their time to give advice it is very apreciated. im also in a similar position to wayne_rooney, i want to get one of my units remarked but my college is shut what shall i do??, also does anyone know if there is a deadline to get the remarks?? and also once the request for the remark is made does anyone know how long it takes to hear from the exam board?

To kid_50 i think i remember seeing you on one of the other forums..had u applied to the BM6 or BM5 at southampton? hopefully they will find the one mark you need.

19. ab0cjh

ab0cjh Member

remarks

As far as I've heard marks can only go up if they are remarked. The worst that could happen is that you end up with the same mark as before.

Goodluck

20. Miss Monkey

Miss Monkey New Member

I'm pretty sure you can go down with a remark, because one of my friends did with AS Geography last year. However if you're very close to the next grade up, it is highly unlikely that you will go down a whole grade! Good luck, I hope it all works out. :)