1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helped i missed my grades - What now?

Discussion in 'A-Levels' started by Clarkey, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

close but no cigar, macca.

to follow on from the last other post....which the ol med skools ave too, but not to the same degree, its simply not in their DNA need to be so.
    their old engines work well enough, especially for their purposes, so they aren going to change them overnight.

2. Katze

Katze New Member

I called the BSMS admissions and they told me that they actually prefer to see resit candidates as it shows tenacious character :) and keele do consider resitters as long as they achieved some min d 1st time :S

3. mstudent

mstudent New Member

ps. There are certain biomed courses that offer people the chance of transferring after year 1 into medicine - Newcastle is one of those. However, this is also ridiculously competitive, but if it was one of the universities you were considering either way, it could be worth considering as it does give you that one extra chance at medicine.[/QUOTE]

hey could you please tell me how can i transfere to newcastle medicine as i am doing my first year biomed, do i have to apply through ucas if so then the deadline is gone. because i am sure i called newcastle and they said it is only for newcastle biomed students. and if any body knows any other university who accept first year transferes please let me know thanks.

4. Katze

Katze New Member

apparently there was one person who transferred after the 1st year of a medical physiology course at leicester. Have to do really well in that year though and make it clear that you want to transfer from the start? :S cant remember who it is, might be on the leicester forum?

5. elz

elz New Member

u would have to be doing biomed at newcastle to transfer into medicine.
    most places have stopped doing this transfer after one yr though, or if they do there are only a couple of spaces.

6. lizardking125

lizardking125 New Member

Ah well, things didn't go as planned and after a gap year + a change of heart I decided to study physiology w/pharmacology at Manchester Metropolitan. Since coming here though I've soon realised that I'm wasting my time doing something I'm not arsed about and can only think about studying medicine. My A-levels are crap because I wasn't arsed towards the end of year 13, I came out with ACD in sports, chemistry and biology. The only thing I have going for me is that I have lots of experience from working in a radiology department for over a year.

For someone in my position, what would be the best course of action? I don't really want to drop out of university but I'm sure I'll have to resit a few A-levels, right? If I finish the first year of this course and do exceptionally well, which I am capable of, will I stand a chance of applying elsewhere? Or is it an idea to just stick out the 3 years of this course and concentrate my studies as much on anatomy as possible before applying postgrad, which I know is just as competitive as undergrad?

Please help, I feel utterly confused.

7. giella

giella New Member

I would personally finish the degree. University experience itself is excellent preparation for medicine, whether you apply for GEP or standard undergraduate. You'll learn graduate skills, which will put you ahead of the school leavers if you apply to undergraduate courses. These skills include time management, communication skills etc etc. You'll be able to mature in your time there, as you cope with living on your own, handling the tougher workload and tougher assignments.
    If you come out the other side with a good 2:1, you'll have gained far more than if you dropped out now and redid your A levels. You're doing a degree which is relevant, gaining experience and showing that you could potentially cope with the demands of a medical degree. I usually say there are only two directions in which you should move with your education: forwards and sideways. Your A levels are behind you now and you'd only be repeating yourself if you took them, you wouldn't be learning anything new.

8. lizardking125

lizardking125 New Member

Thanks for your advice, I was a bit worried about spending all these years in university but you've actually made me realise that I will cope better after having the experience of finishing another degree first. And the degree I'm doing is relevant so I should have a bit of a headstart ;)

9. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

'allo macca.

YouTube - The Fray - How To Save A Life

now listen up there, me good chum. :) cos it seems to me that you are aving a rather tuff time at the mo. And well it might seem to you that you are faced wif a pretty substantial challenge, like perhaps being confronted by an army full of upset and cryin' kiddies or like losing your tuckbox in the middle of an ascent of 'Airy Tuft (in winter). :(

But fear not, cos you ave been through mush mush worse stressful situations in the past. Like, do you remember when you were a li'l babby sitting in a pushchair, being pushed around by invisible forces from behind at what seemed like four 'undred miles an 'our? :( flippin 'eck that must 'ave been scary, not knowing who was pushing you and where you were going, wif fings wizzing past at 'undreds of miles an 'our every second and some strange woman offerin you bottles of creamy warm white stuff for no real reason you could fathom? But... you coped wif it, macca.

well if you can get thru that then you can get into med skool. You are made of sterner stuff than you fink, you know. You are good enuff! So do not worri, cos in two years time you will be in med skool, jumpin up and doon at the bar, your troosers falling doon and 'aving a lorra fun
    too!

So stick to the plan macca, and keep your eyes on the prizes, cos it wont be long.... i promise ye.

#229 Gizmo says -, Dec 10, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  10. haqiq1

haqiq1 New Member

I'm an international student which interested in studying Medicine in UK. But I only got A- in Biology and B in Chemistry and Maths. Having A- BB , am I considered for even courses like clinical science or biomed?

I check Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland that can enter even with a ABB or BBB. Do anyone think I can get admit with my result to medicine course?

(I'm a STPM student which equivalent to A-level)

11. kiz2312

kiz2312 New Member

to muffin

so did you enjoy the clinical sciences? and what grades did you get to get onto this? im seriousley considering this as my option as i have screwed my exams up big style due to a medical reason and now im just past redemption lol! and just how competetive was it to transfer to medicine?
    thanks!\
    xx

12. Kinza75

Kinza75 New Member

Hi Katie,

I currently hold a Manchester offer, AAB, but I don't think I will get my grades this year. Please could you tell me about your experience reapplying having resat as I thought Manchester did not accept resit candidates. Thank you in advance, Kinza.

13. mosesjudah

mosesjudah New Member

Hi
    After reading the threads i wanted to know if there are any opportunities in london. you see i didnt make my grades in 2008 and decided to accept a plcae for biomed while i was on the course there were some circumstances which occured and i had to stop. now its 2009 and i am ready to fulfil my goal, i wanna go for it n dnt want to have to do a 3yr degree first.

I need to know about my options for london please because I have a daughter and I am married i cant pick up and move outside london.

14. Drneuro

Drneuro New Member

Hi there, i know i'm actually just repeating loads of stuff that has already been said in this post, but i did try to start a new thread but NMM wouldn't let me!
    I thought i'd try and offer you some advice if things don't go as well as planned tomorrow for anyone. Speaking as someone who was disappointed on results day last year, i know exactly how you're feeling, and wish there was someone there to give me some decent advice on what to do as i freaked out and made a huge mistake!

Hopefully you will all get what you need, but for any that don't there are a number of options available to you.

Dentistry- Not having applied for medicine myself all i know is what dental students have told me, but apparently dental schools do tend to be a bit more lenient. If you were to miss grades and call them up, they may be willing to offer you a place for the following year depending on resits.

The first thing you could do is take a gap year and resit your exams. Reapplying this way usually gets a fair few people in, but not all universities accept resits, a list of those that do can be found here.

Call up med schools for advice. Depending on your circumstances some may be able to offer you an interview conditional upon resit exams. They can also point you in the direction of some damn good access courses.

Access courses are usually reserved for those without the appropriate subjects, but a few, like clinical sciences at Bradford do accept those who have fallen short of grades. This course can allow you to transfer after your first year there to 2nd year med at Leeds, so do have a look!

Doing an undergrad degree and then applying as a graduate can be a good way to get in, as it allows you a bit more time to get experience and grow as a person. However, it can also decrease your chances at medicine as some courses are damn hard to get a 2.1 in! Biomed seems to be the most popular for this- research your modules and everything as they are not always the best idea with them mainly being aimed at research. It can also be very disheartening to be working so close to medics.

For those who get the grades but hold no offers- ring up the dental/ medical school. it's unlikely that they'll have any spare places but they may offer you an interview for entry the following year. One of my friends started at Leeds with me this year, but did reapply for medicine again as she started the course. This can be a risky thing to do as not many unis accept it because they think you're not sure of your career direction or something stupid like that. There are a few who will be willing to consider you though- again, call them up.

The most important thing to remember is don't give up. If this is definately what you want to do you'll get there one way or another, as long as you're determined and willing to slog it out a bit to get where you want to be =)

I have picked up an awful lot of info about alternative routes of access to med schools this year (undergrad and GEM) so please don't hesitate to ask me anything. =)

My best wishes to you all for tomorrow!

15. Yixian

Yixian New Member

Thanks to one tortuous subject - Chemistry - I missed the grade first time around, then resat, missed the grade again, then ditched Chemistry and took an entirely new A level at a local college and got in.

I didn't even get all As.

Took 2 gap years and an absolutely vast amount of work experience but I'm now in medical school. It can be done! Consider resitting people.

16. Little Miss Laura May

Hi,
    I needed AAA, but got ABBB so quite naturally I was rejected by Durham :( I know that there is about 20 pgs of this i haven't read yet but I really don't no what to do. I'm also sick of people congratulating me that I got good grades lets face it I didn't do good enough, I resat so many modules trying to pull up my grades where I narrowly missed out nd as a result in chem I was 4 ums marks away from the A. I honestly feel that I did my best nd resiting the modules wudn't b in my best interest personally...
    So basically this means either a) gap year (which was my original back up) or b) do a degree in sumthing else (my parents favourite)
    Id love to do a gap yr but i'd need alot of money, which i dont have nd cudn't get grants cos there gay (not really its just parents earn just above all the thresholds... but I was SO excited about starting uni nd moving out ect. But i have little idea what I want to do now and clearing has given me little inspiration. I do have an insurance offer at edin bio sciences but I really don't want to do it.
    I guess there are international universitys but i dont no alot about this???

HELP!
    xx

17. Yixian

Yixian New Member

Perhaps if you resat one of those Bs and got an A you could apply to, for example (just because I go there) Peninsula Medical School. I'm pretty sure they still take resits but you'd want to double check by calling. They ask for 340 UCAS points or above from 3x A levels.

There are no doubt other medical schools that will take resits in '10, particularly if you get AAA.

During your gap year you could work in a hospital or care home, thus earning money and work experience for your CV!

#237 Yixian, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  18. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

request a remark in the subjects that you ave doubts you came so close on, macca.

19. Little Miss Laura May

It was only the chemistry that I came close to it tho

20. House Jr.

House Jr. New Member

Agree with gizmo. If they don't move up you can take a gap year, resit maybe, get some more work exp and maybe get a part time job for the uni fees next year if you get in. Brighton don't mind resits btw as it shows determination