1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helped i missed my grades - What now?

Discussion in 'A-Levels' started by Clarkey, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

go and do it now, macca, instead of surfing the web, cos you can bet your boots a thousand other remark requests will be 'eading to the examining board over the next few weeks and you need yours as soon as in case you can get your uni to change their mind.

i'm only saying this becos you are from NE (you better not be a poshie from Teesside 'igh lol).

2. House Jr.

House Jr. New Member

You can also phone up Durham to see if they would accept you if you got AAB if chem moves up

3. Little Miss Laura May

Macca there is ne way on earth that i'm a poshie from teeside lol but thanx u too I guess its chem that peops interested in anyway aint it.

xx

4. Tammy

Tammy New Member

Hey Little Miss Laura May
    I was in a similar position to you three years having achieved ABB (Offer with Barts) and I decided to retake my levels. When I reapplied i received 4 rejection and ended up doing another course. So my advice would be not to retake your a levels, many unis dnt look kindly on retakes. I found it a waste of a year and I wish I chose to start another degree instead of retakes. I will be starting mediicine this year and although I am older and will be financially crippled by the end of it, I feel the extra years of maturity will come in handy. Medicine is a postgrad degree in many countries and so doing a degree to do medicine is the best route for you. You are not in any way a failure, sometimes things dont go according to plan. But you will be stronger when you come away from it, i honestly believe that I will do medicine more justice now than when I was 18. Good luck with whatever you decide.

5. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

She could indeed, House Junior.

They may in all likelihood then give her an unconditional place for next year.

i mean teesside high school - the school we all love to hate on teesside.

also Yarm. I'm not 'elping any Yarm School poshies, cos they get their grades on a plate.

6. Maryam M

Maryam M New Member

Hey!
    Its defo worth a try if you were only 4 marks off...

but if you do fancy doing a related degree but not your insurance course look around in clearing- they have some really good courses at good unis that aren't full..then when you have fond one you like, call them up and ask if theyll accept you, the reject your insurance and accept theirs.
    I was in a similar position a couple of years back, and is horrible..but don't worry because everything will work out!

Maryam

7. likita I

likita I New Member

Heeelllppp!!!

Im an international student and i just saw my AS level results....ABBC..i would like to apply for medicine but i dont know of any unis thatll accept my grades.....could u suggest any?

8. Gary00

Gary00 New Member

I missed my grades last year, re-took my a-lvls and now am joining med school in sept. I fink its a lottery, it depends if ur willing to take the risk, everyone told me jus go uni but i wntd 2 do medicine. I worked hard for a year, quite alonely boring year but now im on my way to my chosen profession and am going to enjoy it to the full.

9. House Jr.

House Jr. New Member

Which unis did you apply for in your gap year? Brighton and peninsula are the only ones I know about which don't really mind resits

#249 House Jr., Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  10. Little Miss Laura May

So like the durham high girls in durham then!!!
    But i'm a hoton girl- and adopted into the durham johnston lot... ok its sort of posh but it not private lol ;)
    xx

11. Lilac Butterfly

Lilac Butterfly New Member

I got ABD in my Alevels first time round, was predicted 3 As, really messed it up.. then i re-took and reapplied, sent off a few letters explaining my mitiating circumstances. I got an offer from leicester without having to do the UKCAT or interview again, and got interviews from keele (offer) and leeds (declined interview, as already had offers and thought somone else deserved the place more). Now i've just finished my first year at leicester, and I feel that the gap year has helped me gain a lot of maturity, as it gave me time to reflect on everything. Yes, it was dificult seeing all my friends at uni while I was stuck retaking, but I definitely made the right choice for myself.

I personally think retaking is a good idea, especially if you're not motivated by another subject. Doing another degree for 3 years and then reapplying as graduate entry is good if you're happy to work for another degree.. i have a lot of respect for people who've managed to get in this way, as I dont think i'd have enough patience to do a whole other degree first.

But whatever you decide, make sure you're 100% sure it's what you want to do, and not what others want. At the ed of the day it's you whose going to be doing the work, and you need to make sure you'll be happy with your decision.

Good luck!

#251 Lilac Butterfly, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  12. Gary00

Gary00 New Member

i applied to uea, penninsula, leeds and brighton. If u wnt 2 do medicine thn do medicine, i dnt think you should do a course for the sake of it, even if tht means re-sitting

13. xylophonefairy

xylophonefairy New Member

Well I got those exact grades at AS and I got into Leicester. I dropped my C and improved my two B's to A's in year 13, but if you work a little bit extra hard this year with a good PS and lots of work experience etc., then you should have as good a shot as any.

14. westside

westside New Member

hey, i got aabb, qm won't allow me in with these grades since my offer was aaa. I don't know what to do since they don't allow resits unless u have extenuating cirsumstances and they won't allow me in with these grades next year. I don't want to apply out of london but all the london unis don't allow resits and they all want aaa! what shall i do?

15. Yixian

Yixian New Member

Apply outside of London..

16. Dr_Paul

Dr_Paul New Member

Erm...

Hey Everyone,

Missing an offer sucks!! But you got to be strong and address your options. So lets begin....

1) Retakes -> Interesting option works for some. But you got to be more adapting and moving out of London isnt really a biggie. Dont let it stand in front of your dream to pursue medicine not an education in London.
    (I went to Uni in London its expensive and I found Newcastle, Manchester, Cardiff and Brum jus as fun if not better).

2) Transfer --> Risky, be prepared to do the course as transer unlikely. Some heard of are:
    Clinical Sciences Bradford - Leeds Medicine
    Biomed St Georges - Medicine St Georges
    Biomed Newcastle - Medicine Newcastle

*May be others Im not aware of.

3) Grad Option --> Very difficult, bit of a lotto depending on tests such as GAMSAT and UKCAT. Grads also apply for the 5/6 year entry which just as good. Still harder to get onto then a normal school lever.

If your going to go down this path....
    -Biomedical Science -- Do it only at an accredited University. (Check with IBMS...dont assume. for example KCL, QMUL, M'cher are not accredited and you cannot be work)
    - Other sciences I would not advise it unless you do a work in industry
    - Optometry you can locum while you study med helps the financial side
    - Pharmacy same as above
    - Osteopathy same as above
    - Nursing same as above and excellent way to develop clinical skills which will help later and work experience also. (I wish I done this)

Whatever route you choose, get work experience straight away, from October it will give you an edge. Do community stuff aswell like community police office, join a local youth offending team, hospice etc

Hope this helps anyone.

To " Westside" if you wana study medicine go for it, dont let this little setback stop you from doing what you want...it will make you stronger and you never know even a better doctor.

If you decide you want to turn your hand to something else...still good shows you were going down the wrong route. Draw positives

Good luck and wish all the best

Bye

17. Drneuro

Drneuro New Member

I know Leicester has a transfer thing for biomed students!

Also, you don't have to be doing an accredited BMS course to get in... I'm at Leeds atm which isn't accredited, but they do get a lot of graduates into med school.

If medicine's what you want to do don't give up!

18. Dr_Paul

Dr_Paul New Member

Thanx Drneuro...good to see people adding to the list

Sorry if I caused a confusion, whilst its not a criteria to have your Biomed accredited, I would advise it as will help financially if you go to uni 2nd time round.

19. westside

westside New Member

thank you so much dr paul- your advice is really helpful!:) thank you dr neuro aswell. lt's really quite an overwhelming situation, i appreciate the help.x

20. Drneuro

Drneuro New Member

Ah do you mean because you can work as a biomedical scientist and earn so you have the finances to do medicine? Yes I agree that would help!

I trained as a phlebotomist this summer (I haven't got a job yet though) but you could always try doing one of the lower paid healthcare jobs too.

What Dr_Paul said about doing a course that would lead to professional accreditation is actually an excellent idea. There's also a course called orthoptics, it's not run by many universities but apparently orthoptists are sought after.

Whatever you do, make the right decision for you, and make sure it's an informed one too. I missed my grades for medicine last year, got a changed course offer for biomed at Leeds, and i took it because i was panicking and didn't know what to do. It was probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life!
    Look at your options properly. Are you sure you don't want to apply out of London? Medicine out of London is still medicine, you'll still be a doctor at the end of it!

Best wishes!