1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hospital Work Experience

Discussion in 'Medical School Interviews' started by jaci_55, Apr 21, 2012.

1. jaci_55

jaci_55 New Member

Hi,

I was wanting some advice on how to gain some work experience in hospitals? I have no contacts to the medical world and I have been trying to get on work experience schemes and things like that for about a year now? Any tips and hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

2. House Jr.

House Jr. New Member

Only advice I can give is to keep trying to phone up as many hospitals as possible, one will bound to give you a placement eventually. If the hospitals in your local area don't run any work experience programs then try and expand your range, it may take a while to get there every day but it'll be worth it in the end since you should really try to get some experience. It doesn't have to be a proper timetabled week long placement, ask if you can just shadow a doctor for a day or two, any experience is better than none. Whereabouts in England do you live? If you live in London then I know a few hospitals which definitely have a work experience program.

3. jaci_55

jaci_55 New Member

Thank you very much, I live in Essex, just outside Cambridgeshire about a hour away from London, I have some work experience set up in GP for the summer, but do you think I have a shot at any of the London hospitals?

4. snakefisch

snakefisch New Member

Hi Jaci, my advice would be to get experience within the region you're in. It is extremely hard to get work experience inside London (if it's shadowing you're after). The London hospitals mainly give preference to local schools in their borough. I live in London and went outside of London for one of my placements as it was easier to organise!

5. Kaiser Wilhelm

Kaiser Wilhelm New Member

Ring as many hospitals as you would be prepared to regularly travel to. Best advice is to be persistent, speak to people rather than sending letters or emails (they are easier to ignore) and failing all else physically go in and meet people in person. Many hospitals have a volunteers co-ordinator, make sure you speak to them if they have one.

If you're having trouble finding somewhere in Essex. I work at Harefield Hospital in Middlesex/North-West London and they are currently looking for volunteers (go for ward assistant if they have it). You would need a minimum of 3 months regular part-time commitment (though with summer holidays coming up this might be possible?). Ring 01895823737 and ask to speak to the volunteers co-ordinator. Its the heart and lung transplant centre for the south of england and wales and you would get to see a lot of cutting edge stuff.

6. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I used the volunteer England site.

7. alancam

alancam New Member

For London hospitals, try the main Trust websites. That's how I got on an "Insight" week, shadowing an orthopaedic surgeon at King's College Hospital. Excellent experience.

The consultant, Mr Arya, and his colleagues talked me through everything that was going on. Learned lots (mostly forgotten, such is the way of things when you're that excited) and gave me a suprisingly in-depth understanding of a sugeon's life despite it being only a week long.

8. jaci_55

jaci_55 New Member

Thank you so much I will defiantly give them a call and maybe work something up over the holidays, Thanks for your help!! :)

9. tahseen

tahseen New Member

10. tahseen

tahseen New Member

Have you tried the technique and sample letter on doceatdoc.com for getting hospital work experience?

Lots of pointers there.

11. ElenaMedical

ElenaMedical New Member

Hi Jaci, I am taking the Czech Hospital Placements Program in October - I have chosen Cardiovascular surgery and Cardiology. The program is paid, however, I would like to see the healthcare system in the different country...:)