how do you get to practice in america?

nunu4

just wondering if anyone can clarify the process of getting from a British med degree to working in America? I'm going to UEA this fall and am an American and British citizen, so I'm wondering how i would get licensed in America, about the F1 and F2 yrs in Britain and if that is interchangeable with internship and residency in America?

I'm completely unfamiliar with the process so anything will be helpful. At the moment i don't plan on moving to America to practice but would like to know what hurdles are in the way and what is the best time line to overcome them if i decide to go that route.

Thanks!

doormat

A well considered reply!

Hello,

What a considerate post !psychirugus!, this is extremely helpful, and a joy to read.

I think we all would work towards a day when physicians could move across continents without restrictions, and perhaps some day it will come.

America, Canada and Australia are becoming more and more attractive to British medical graduates than ever before. Better pay and working conditions aside, the weather is much better as well.

Keep up the good work!

eli

The newer medical schools arent recognised, how much of a problem is that ?
What makes you say this?

I spoke to the California Board about 18 months ago. They recognise any UK course that is recognised by the GMC. At that point, even though my course hadn't been formally ratified, the Ca people were fine. The comment was literally "Oh, one of the new UK courses? Of course we recognise it." (The lady also did a sales job, trying to convince me to apply for Ca jobs LOL.)

I suspect that their website list hasn't been updated, and it wont be until someone from each of the new courses applies.

nunu4

What makes you say this?

I spoke to the California Board about 18 months ago. They recognise any UK course that is recognised by the GMC. At that point, even though my course hadn't been formally ratified, the Ca people were fine. The comment was literally "Oh, one of the new UK courses? Of course we recognise it." (The lady also did a sales job, trying to convince me to apply for Ca jobs LOL.)

I suspect that their website list hasn't been updated, and it wont be until someone from each of the new courses applies.

this is so good to hear as UEA wasnt listed on that site! Thank you all for your replies, really a great help!

just wondering why everyone is focused on California?? Also does anyone do any electives while in med school abroad?

eli

this is so good to hear as UEA wasnt listed on that site! Thank you all for your replies, really a great help!

just wondering why everyone is focused on California?? Also does anyone do any electives while in med school abroad?
My husband lives and works in California, where we have a home. He went there for work - he was headhunted. I just follow :)

I did do an elective there (a sub-internship), as I had a contact who could point me in the right direction.

cools

how do you get to practice in america?
just wondering if anyone can clarify the process of getting from a British med degree to working in America? I'm going to UEA this fall and am an American and British citizen, so I'm wondering how i would get licensed in America, about the F1 and F2 yrs in Britain and if that is interchangeable with internship and residency in America?

I'm completely unfamiliar with the process so anything will be helpful. At the moment i don't plan on moving to America to practice but would like to know what hurdles are in the way and what is the best time line to overcome them if i decide to go that route.

Thanks!
This site Career Guidance Manual: USMLE MRCP FCPS helped me understand both the UK and the American system better. See if it helps you