Is Duke of Edinburgh really necessary?

Discussion in 'Personal Statements and UCAS forms' started by k914, Sep 25, 2011.

1. k914

k914 New Member

Hey guys,
    I was just wondering how many of you did DofE and how helpful you think it is to your personal statement? It's just at my school people tend to see it as a must have for medicine but i've just received training weekend dates and they don't fit comfortably around my exams, some exams being the day before/after the weekend :/ This worries me as I want to put all my time then into getting the grades I need. Quick replies appreciated - decision has to be made for tomorrow morning, thanks

2. meb88

meb88 New Member

I don't know for 100% sure, but ive just been on the doe site and taken a look at what the award involves. you know, i honestly think that it wouldn't be a necessary requisite provided you can demonstrate on your personal statement that you have involved yourself with volunteering/ extra curricular activities etc.. And as for having to go on some sort of expedition to prove your worth, i reckon it can be done in other ways that don't clash with your exams. you are going to have to prioritise- what's more important? the exams or the award? i would say the exams, but its a choice you have to make.
    good luck

3. sb7467

sb7467 New Member

This might be too late for you but this made me laugh so much; DofE is a bit of an in joke at my medical school. Yes lots of people do it and once they have done it they think it earns them a guaranteed acceptance to medical school (not mocking, I was such a student 5 years ago). But many, many, in fact the vast majority haven't and some don't even know what it is. Yes it's a good thing to have, but it doesn't make your statement stand out in any way. All it does is tick the box for extracurric/volunteering. Just make sure you've got something else to put down to show you're a massive over achiever ;) You're right, grades come first. Good luck!

4. k914

k914 New Member

Thanks guys for all your help, I decided not to do it as my grades are obviously more important and hopefully other extra curriculars will be sufficient. Plus I do already have my bronze, which I know isn't as good as gold but should count for something right? and 'sb7467' - thanks, it's good to know how other students don't see it as a big deal :)

5. meb88

meb88 New Member

I reckon you made the right decision mate. good luck and keep us posted. and 'sb7467', the thought of YOU laughing your head off, made me laugh too!
    happy days people