Is it likely for me to get into medicine? Be honest.

Scheherazade

I'm 18 and have just finished my A Levels, I got BCD in English Lit, Biology and Chemistry respectively (CDEU in English Lit, Chemistry, Maths and Biology in AS respectively). I kind of knew that I wasn't going to do that well so I held off on ANY applications to uni, I had a lot of things going on as well at home (father caught cheating so parents nearly divorced in yr 12, sister running away and officially now in social services in yr 13, legit there were social workers and cops in my house the night before exams), at the time I told myself it didn't affect me but looking back I think it played a role, sixth form was just so depressing for me. I've opted to retake Chemistry and Biology A Levels online (colleges are too expensive) cause I genuinely feel like I can get my grades up, I know I didn't work as hard as I should have. But I know that I'm not going to get in if I apply for direct entry for medicine, what with me retaking with VERY bad original grades (most med applicants don't go below AAB-BBB from what I've seen). So I was thinking of biomedical sciences and try to get in after first year (or graduate entry) but its not guaranteed and I heard that its very competitive, I was also thinking applying to medicine abroad but from what I see its too expensive, at least in the UK you are entitled to student loans and you don't have to pay the money straight away, if anyone has applied abroad I wonder how they manage the finances, cause I'm not super smart to be competing with all these med students for a bloody scholarship. From someone who is in the medical field, what are my odds of getting in and what route would give me the highest chances? I'm posting this here because I don't think I've seen anyone with grades as bad as mine applying or trying, let alone the fact that I don't have a maths A Level.
Edit: I was also thinking of a foundation year into medicine, would this be possible?

Last edited:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Scheherazade, welcome to the forum!

There are options if you have got bad grades due to problems at home. You might qualify as a 'contextual admission' - see the details here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2413/good-practice-in-contextual-admissions.pdf

You can also look at individual medical schools and see if they offer 'widening participation' options: click through on the links on this PDF for each school and see what they might offer: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

There are likely others on this forum who have been through a similar process - if you do some searches you can probably find some older threads about how people have improved their grades or got into medicine through Graduate Entry, Preliminary Year or Gateway Year options.

Have you got some work experience? There's guidance on this here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Good luck!

Martigan

Super Moderator
I agree with what is said above.
That is probably the best route. The biomedical science route does work, but as you said is very competitive.
On top of that you have the costs of then doing a second degree on top of the first. And for the second degree, there is minimal financial support. Thus possibly making the overseas medical school a cheeper and faster path...

Scheherazade

Yeah I read that and researched about it, people who were doing the access to medicine course were talking of how it was quite unlikely (only about 4 in a class of 30 would actually go on to do medicine), I wanted a route that would actually give me a decent chance of getting in.

Scheherazade

I agree with what is said above.
That is probably the best route. The biomedical science route does work, but as you said is very competitive.
On top of that you have the costs of then doing a second degree on top of the first. And for the second degree, there is minimal financial support. Thus possibly making the overseas medical school a cheeper and faster path...
So would you say its best to apply abroad or apply to biomedicine then?

Mamba

Wait a monent....

If you go a biomed route, thats £30,000 in fees alone, realistically minimum £60,000 to get that degree done. Now if you work your balls off and don't slip up once.... you may get a first. Now you have a slim chance for post-grad entry to Medicine ....your second degree....with another £40,000 in fees now to find and £50,000 to live. Also 8 years have now passed since this moment.

Why not........Get your Maths and English to a B or higher at GCSE level. Go complete an Access To Medicine course. Complete the course with a minimum 70% in all modules ( a distinction), proving you CAN achieve good marks...and all this can be done in 12 months (I did both my GCSE's and Access in a year). Now apply for a 6year Medical Degree (I strongly suggest Cardiff) and prepare for 6 years of hell. Think of it from a University admissions point of view.... you went back and got your A-level equivalents just to try and get into Medicine! The distinction may buy you a sest in an interview where you may get the opportunity to explain why you didn't do so well first time around. Because if you can't achieve those highest grades it's not realistic to go for Medicine .....it is the most academic degree in university.

I kind of mean that last sentence. Medical School is brutal, the jump up in standards expected and difficulty is immense. it is a degree in Medicine after all. It is TOTALLY achievable but.... it is no joke at all. A-levels don't compare. So be realistic about your commitment, dedication and seriousness. It's a lot of effort snd money.

Lastly, in truth there were nearly 40+ on my Access course, maybe 6 got in.

Even for those with perfect grades Medicine is no guarantee, but if you want to be a doctor more than anything else in the world and you are 10000000000000% determined to be one.... nothing will stop you.