is UKCAT score high enough?

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by dingers, Aug 20, 2011.

1. dingers

dingers New Member

Hey guys,

I sat my UKCAT this morning, i didnt do as well as i had been in my practise tests and only got an average of 650 : 710-VR, 620-QR, 620-AR and 650-DA
    I was considering applying to Warwick Leicester, Soton, Newcastle or Barts but im not sure if i'll meet the cutoff scores now :confused:?
    I have alot of work experience ranging from HCA work to microbiology lab work as a biomedical scientist and i volunteered with St John Ambulance too so im hoping that would make up for a poor UKCAT score. Does anyone have any advice or cutoff score info, it would be a massive help

2. dinka_chinka

dinka_chinka New Member

r score is def good for Sotorn as they don't emphasize UKCAT that much and only eliminate bottom 25% of UKCAT scores, last year it was 580 or something
    You are good for Barts as well as this year they have apparently changed admission policy to if you get a UKCAT score above 600, then you are considered and they rank you according to UCAS points then for cutoff and interview
    Not sure about the other two
    Maybe, cardiff is a good option as UKCAT is not very popular there as well

3. conorcd

conorcd New Member

4. snakefisch

snakefisch Member

Hi dinka_chinka - just wondering where you got your info about Barts from? Sounds very interesting! Is that for the 4 year or 5 year course?
    Thanks

5. dinka_chinka

dinka_chinka New Member

Hey
    Got it from TSR, my cousin is applying this year, so I gotta choose unis for him. I am a nottingham medic 2nd year so if you have any questions about there, don't hesitate to ask.
    I believe the change is for 5 year programs. You can email to confirm prob.

6. dingers

dingers New Member

Thanks dinka_chinka I am definatly considering southampton, but they dont interview so im going to have to perfect the personal statement. Is the Barts information correct for the graduate entry? because if it is does my degree count as UCAS points?

Do you know any other gradte entry unis that dont hold much emphasis on the UKCAT, i would consider the 5 year programmes but just dont have the money for it!

7. dinka_chinka

dinka_chinka New Member

Hi
    As I said above, its better to confirm with the uni abotu grad entry as I know the admission policy is def applicable to 5 year program, not sure about 4 year programs. I would say consider Birmingham and Bristol, they don't use UKCAT as well, and yes: perfect your personal statement because grad entry is harder to get in and for any med school admission, your entire application has to be outstanding. :)