Just finished my UKCAT! Score and experiences

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by annasue, Jul 4, 2012.

1. annasue

annasue New Member

Hi -

I did my UKCAT this morning. Did it in Birmingham. First error was parking in the car park directly opposite - £11!!!! Otherwise the sign in etc was straightforward. They have lockers for your stuff.

Exam - found the VR questions about the same as I was expecting, maybe a shade easier. QR (always a weak point) was much easier than the practice stuff I've been battling with. AR - well I guessed a whole bunch of them! I find them hard regardless. DA - quite a lot harder than the stuff I had seen - mainly due to a really big code table and very long codes to decipher.

Anyway: My magic numbers:
    VR: 770
    QR: 700
    AR: 700
    DA: 640

Total: 2810 (average 702.5)

I am well chuffed!

The Situational Judgement Questions (not marked this year) were pretty quick to click through, I thought they were quite straightforward. I didn't get any mark for them

Good luck everyone!

2. MattKneale

MattKneale Member

Very jealous, I'm aiming for about the same as you though I think I'll do better in VR & DA than I will in QR & AR! Test is on Friday so I'll let people know then!

3. kingdizzii

kingdizzii Member

Good luck to everyone sitting this exam, my cousin is starting dentistry this year and sat the UKCAT two years in a row. First time she got 650 and the second 760, she has no idea how it went so much higher considering she did not change anything in terms of preparation. That extra 100+ points somehow means she would make a better dentist so for that reason got a flurry of interviews and offers!

4. jcak

jcak New Member

Nice work on such a high score! That'll serve you well in the application period!

When you say the QR was much easier than the practice stuff you had been battling with, which practice stuff had you been battling with? I've been waging war on some of this QR timing. Give me half an hour extra and I can get between 95-100%, but if the exam is slightly easier than I'm anticipating it will be a huge relief.

Did you take the practice tests from the official UKCAT Pearson website? If so, do you mind sharing your scores so the rest of us can gauge our progress so far?

Thanks- and good work on such excellent results! Must be a nice weight off your mind!

5. xadmin

xadmin New Member

congrat!

6. foinavon

foinavon Member

Hey everyone, just finished my test this afternoon, I got 697.5 (640,800,670,680). Over the moon about QR obviously, but I definitely got sucked into dithering too long on some AR questions, so had to guess a bit at the end. Im also glad to improve on my fairly poor VR result from last year (570).
    Fairly pleased ,as its an improvement on my score last year (677.5). Does anyone know whether this will be good enough for Barts and Newcastle?

Feels good to get it out of the way :)

7. foinavon

foinavon Member

the GEP programs at Barts and Newcastle i mean.

8. busy_bookie

busy_bookie New Member

Sorry to be a combo breaker but can someone who has sat the UKCAT kindly answer some questions for me! All I want to know is what you got to work out the answers on, I know its a whiteboard and pen but just wondering, will I have space to write out all the decision analysis words onto the whiteboard? Do They have to be replaced or can I wipe them? I have heard some talking about them being replaced, if so is there a limit on the amount you can use, and are they given to you instantly? Given that I am currently running with literally no spare seconds all of this counts. Thank you so much in advance, and sorry because I'm sure this has been asked a million times before!

9. xadmin

xadmin New Member

whiteboard and you can wipe. I recommend get it replaced. Raise your hand when your whiteboard almost run out. You can wipe it, but it gets your hands and clothes dirty.

10. xadmin

xadmin New Member

Congrat!!

11. Priyanka00

Priyanka00 New Member

Congrats Annasue and Foinavon!

Foinavon- compared to the practice tests, how did the actual exam compare? Well done, and I think those scores are good enough for most GEPs!

12. foinavon

foinavon Member

QR definitely seemed easier than the official practice tests, there just weren't as many of those long questions with multiple calculations. VR, AR, DA seemed about the same. I have been performing poorly in the practice tests all week though so today was definitely a pleasant surprise. It was probably the adrenaline of the day that helped me to be honest.

13. scottydoc

scottydoc New Member

Well done on your score!

Couldn't say about Barts, I didn't apply there, but that UKCAT score is borderline for Newcastle GEP. As far as I know, the lowest for this years intake was 700. But it really depends on the applicants for 2013 entry.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

14. foinavon

foinavon Member

Thanks scottydoc!

I heard a rumour that Newcastle considers GAMSAT scores as well as UKCAT scores if the applicant believes that they will strengthen their application. Do you know anything about this? I've got a pretty good gamsat from last year so it may still make an application to newcastle worthwhile for me still.

I suppose I've got ages to find out and make up my mind though.

Cheers!

15. scottydoc

scottydoc New Member

Newcastle don't look at GAMSAT scores, however they want you to have studied in the last five years and they will use GAMSAT as proof of recent study, but no, they won't look at the score.

16. TheMedicBarbie

TheMedicBarbie New Member

Anyone that sat it last year what's your opinion on the test is it getting easier or is it the same. Personally I sat it in 2010 and found the 2011 one a lot easier (still screwed up AR) wondering if its the same this year :)

17. xadmin

xadmin New Member

Just as hard

18. annasue

annasue New Member

Hi and thanks for the congraulations!

I am not actually taking the UKCAT as an aspiring medic - but because I work for UKCATprep.com and we always send staff members to take the test to make sure our service is as close to reality as possible. Thus - I have mainlyused our own service for my preparation. Because I was familiar with the questions I tended to do pretty well on Verbal and DA.

I was pleasantly surprised my my score in every section though - better than I was expecting - especially in AR and QR. I did guess (or use my intuition!) in a lot of the AR and I found the QR a lot more straightforward.

As for the wipe clean sheet - it is A4 sized but the top quarter or so is printed on. It is squared. When you nearly run out put your hand up and they'll replace it BUT they take away the old one so if you're halfway through a question they'll take away all of your notes so far. After I'd asked for my third the man gave me a stack of four of them which helped as I was getting paranoid about using too much space. I was writing small.

19. xadmin

xadmin New Member

Annasue, your VR score is awesome, what is your VR strategy?

1. Do you read the questions first and then scan over the passage for keywords that pertain to the questions for answers?
    2. Do you actually read the full passage to understand it to answer the questions?

20. annasue

annasue New Member

Hi xadmin

I do a skim thorough read! (I know this isn't that helpful!). If the subject matter is something I basically understand I will skim read it first and just look for key words / phrases to answer the questions. This isn't so easy when the passage is about something you really don't know anything about, or understand. Then I do are slower more careful read through.

At work I write practice VR questions, and also proof read and check those written by other authors so I am familiar with some of the 'tricks' used! I guess the same benefit can be gained by lots of practice.

It is the one area where I didn't run out of time as well so I must have managed my time well on it. Long passages obviously take longer to read, and the new style questions require more reading and time.