Keele 2013 Applicant

richadam

It seems we're applying to similar places.

I'm applying to Keele, Dundee, Cardiff and Bristol.

I don't really have an order of preference, although I do have several current-medic friends at Keele who would no doubt be an excellent source of information.

If there were no friend-related factors, I'd probably go for Bristol.

Aluter

HeeY! Just thinking of how slim my chances of getting an interview is :( with such low UKCAT scores.

TheTool

For medicine, Keele will only look at the UKCAT when they are trying to decide between two applicants, that what their admissions team told me when I phoned them up. I was told the UKCAT will have no bearing on whether or nor not you will get an interview. For the interviews, they look at everything on your UCAS application.

richadam

For Keele, it is apparently 80% your PS, 20% your academic achievement.

That's not to say you can get in with terrible grades, but should you meet the academic minimum requirements, anything above those only accounts for 20%.

Your UKCAT score is used in the circumstance mentioned by 'TheTool'.

So even if you do terribly in your UKCAT (mine is today and I'm not particularly confident), then it's still worth putting an application in.

Aluter

For Keele, it is apparently 80% your PS, 20% your academic achievement.

That's not to say you can get in with terrible grades, but should you meet the academic minimum requirements, anything above those only accounts for 20%.

Your UKCAT score is used in the circumstance mentioned by 'TheTool'.

So even if you do terribly in your UKCAT (mine is today and I'm not particularly confident), then it's still worth putting an application in.
Thanks for your reply...I did not know about the selection criteria as you had mentioned so it is relief to hear that 80% is on PS.

how did your UKCAT go today?.

l

richadam

Yup, a current Keele medic friend linked me to a presentation from their open day (I'll try and find it).

I got 630 average. DA was 520! Horrendous mark for what is easily my strongest section. I had been getting pretty much full marks in all of my mocks.

Got 680 in QR, not quite sure how ha. I spent a bit of time on 10-11 questions (which I assume I got right), and then quickly scanned over the data and clicked an answer based on a guesstimate for the rest. Must have been lucky on the day ey...

Not too chuffed, but equally, not disappointed with my score. I had originally said I would be happy with 600, so anything over I'm happy with. A bit annoyed about my DA though.

Aluter

Yup, a current Keele medic friend linked me to a presentation from their open day (I'll try and find it).

I got 630 average. DA was 520! Horrendous mark for what is easily my strongest section. I had been getting pretty much full marks in all of my mocks.

Got 680 in QR, not quite sure how ha. I spent a bit of time on 10-11 questions (which I assume I got right), and then quickly scanned over the data and clicked an answer based on a guesstimate for the rest. Must have been lucky on the day ey...

Not too chuffed, but equally, not disappointed with my score. I had originally said I would be happy with 600, so anything over I'm happy with. A bit annoyed about my DA though.
that isn't a bad score...thinking of ukcat just gets me pissed at my performance! had like 700+ in DA but my VR n QR was horrible ( which i blame to nerves). But it def was a good experience for when I do it again next year. :d

so which universities will you appling to apart from keele :D

Serac

I'm applying, too. Grades are in my signature.

I have also applied to: Cardiff, Leicester and UEA.

Good luck to you all. :D

Maria87

What were your entry grades, and volunteering stuff, if you don't mind my asking? :)
My ukcat score is awful - average of 550!
Uni grades: first class in maths and finishing off a phd at the moment
School grades: not very impressive - AABB at scottish Highers and ABD at Advanced Highers!

I don't have Physics at school level which could be a problem for Keele but I have covered lots of it in my degree (fingers crossed they acknowledge it).

In terms of work experience, I think I have enough to talk about.

They would be very daft not to give me an interview ;)

Serac

My ukcat score is awful - average of 550!
Uni grades: first class in maths and finishing off a phd at the moment
School grades: not very impressive - AABB at scottish Highers and ABD at Advanced Highers!

I don't have Physics at school level which could be a problem for Keele but I have covered lots of it in my degree (fingers crossed they acknowledge it).

In terms of work experience, I think I have enough to talk about.

They would be very daft not to give me an interview ;)
First class in maths, and doing a PhD? You've definitely got the noggin' for it, then. :) I doubt they're going to care about the UKCAT.