1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

low ukcat score , Any advices what should do ?

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by nisha 122, Sep 1, 2016.

1. nisha 122

nisha 122 New Member

hey friends,

i just gave my ukcat and unfortunately got low score , i was planning to apply for GEM . Any ideas what should i do and which unis to consider?

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

unfortunately you have left it pretty late. That's why the advice is always do your UKCAT in the first week or so to consider options.

Without knowing anything about you it's harder to advise.
    Eg what degree do you have? What grade? What A-Levels (including grade)

You've missed the last entry for GAMSAT. That only leaves the BMAT, which I believe opens up the Oxford and Imperial grad degrees. But do you meet the rest of the requirements? Have you got time to prep?

You may instead want to try next year when you have planned and prepared your application and approach?

3. nisha 122

nisha 122 New Member

hey i got very low grade in ukcat Avg 530.
    and i am doing bsc biosciences from london south bank university. my alevel grades not that good so thats why i did biosciences. i had decent grades in GCSE.
    i have good work experience regarding application. can you please suggest me unis that put low emphasis on ukcat score? please advice me something.

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I don't know of any that use the UKCAT but put a low emphasis on it. If they did they would expect good a-levels and degree. Did you apply for GAMSAT, like we advised some months back?

5. nisha 122

nisha 122 New Member

no not for gamsat :(

6. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Well you have very little options then...

7. nisha 122

nisha 122 New Member

what are those options can you please tell me or give me any suggestions?

8. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

My suggestion is that you practice like a demon, over the winter, for the GAMSAT and UKCAT. Take the March GAMSAT and the UKCAT in the first week, and apply next year.

If you have a viable score in either, then focus on the relevant Uni's to that exam. If not, focus on getting a fantastic score on BMAT.

I am too far out of the application process to know the ins and outs of all the Uni's current requirements. So there might still be a course that has no requirements, or uses UKCAT but with no or very low cut off.

A few years ago when the UKCAT was new Southampton GEP did allow end cut off. But them that meant you had to be exceptional else where, as you were competing against people with 4 A*s at A-level, a first class first degree, but messed up thier UKCAT. What do you have that would make you more attractive to the uni than them?

Remember on a grad course there are usually 20-40 people chasing each place. Places that appear to have a lower threshold will be more competitive, so you need to make sure your other attributes make you stand out from the crowd.

The applications ratios for GAMSAT Uni's are lower (5-10 per place) as its really hard work to get up to scatch for the exam, so few people try. With your biomed training, you have already done the work, so you have a massive advantage. This is why we we suggesting this to you all those months ago, but you have now missed the boat.

If you aren't a natural academic, you can still get into medicine, but you have to work harder and smarter than the academics. It's your call if you want to put the work in...