1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mandatory NHS service?

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by banker22, Dec 23, 2016.

1. banker22

banker22 New Member

Hi all

I am considering applying to GEM programs for 2018 entry and have just been reading Jeremy Hunt's speech in October (later confirmed in budget) mentioning a potential required period of NHS service after graduation. A Google search will reveal the media speculating on what this may involve (4 years of service, potential £200k fine, etc.) but I'm not clear on what this will actually mean.

Does anyone have any idea? I guess they will have to consult on the issue first? And then it will phase in? But when? And what will the required service be? And potential punishment? Will this be different for GEM? Will it only apply to England or also to Scotland and Wales?

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I think it will be a difficult thing to do, as medicine is hard with a high dropout rate due to the tough conditions and, especially for the school leaver medics, they realise it's not for them. Grads usually have a better staying power as they come in for different reasons, or with more life understanding.

3. banker22

banker22 New Member

They are comparing it to the armed forces. The difference being in the armed forces you are paid during your training period, not having to pay 9k / take loans!

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Nor does their training take 4-7 years...