1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MED-SUCCESS 2012 - Boost your chances of gaining entry into Medical School

Discussion in 'Personal Statements and UCAS forms' started by DocQ, Aug 8, 2012.

1. DocQ

DocQ New Member

Empower Youth Academy will be running the 3rd annual Med-Success event at Leicester University on Saturday 29th September 2012. Students who attend can look forward to the following items from the program:

*One-to-one personal statement clinic with current medical students and doctors
    *Mock Interview and feedback from a panel of current doctors and senior medical students who have conducted real university admission interviews
    *Excellent talks on:
    - Writing a winning personal statement
    - Interview tips
    - How to pass the UKCAT
    - Medical ethics
    - Life as a medical student
    - Life as a doctor
    *Anatomy Taster Session (TBC)
    * Small group question and answer sessions for anything else the students would like to know about the application process.
    *A Medical Applications handbook

In keeping with our aim of equalising opportunities for all students, we are offering all of the above (yes, and more!) for a small sum of £25, which is truly dwarfed by the gargantuan fees charged by similar programs run in other parts of the country.

Lunch included!

Eligibility:
    For students approaching UCAS deadline in October. We cater for both undergraduate and graduate students.

Applications:
    To apply for a place please email med-success@empower-youth.org.uk, or call Sumair Qureshi on 075022 70638 and register your interest. We will continue the correspondence and subsequently send you a ticket and information booklet once we have received your payment. Places are extremely limited and all places will be offered on a first come first served basis.

For directions please see this website: Overview — University of Leicester

Note: The course will not be specific to Leicester Medical School, and will be beneficial to you regardless of which university you hope to attend.

Provisional Itinerary (subject to minor changes)
    9.00 – 9.30 Registration
    9.30 – 9.45 Introduction
    9.45 – 10.00 Life as a doctor
    10.00 –11.15 Interviews
    11.15 – 11.30 Break
    11.30 –12.00 How to write a good personal statement
    12.00 –12.45 Medical ethics
    12.45 –13.45 Lunch
    13.45 –16.30 Interview, Personal Statement Clinics and UKCAT clinics
    16.30 –17.00 Feedback and Questions

For more information you can also visit the facebook page: MED-SUCCESS 2012 - Boost your chances of gaining entry into Medical School | Facebook

For feedback from last year, please visit your website Home and click on Med-Success under Projects. Thank you.

Sponsored by Wesleyan Medical Sickness

2. DocQ

DocQ New Member

Open to current year 13 AND year 12 students.

3. WilliamOttway

WilliamOttway New Member

Does anybody recommend this? I mean, apart from DocQ (Sorry - you are biased ;-) )

What are the success rates from courses like this? I've heard about these before - some of my friends have been on similar courses over the past few years and they've got in to good med schools. I haven't heard about this one though to be honest - their course was more expensive .

I don't want to be skeptical (because we need all the help we can get!) but on the basis that you get what you pay for, this course almost looks too cheap?

I'm just interested :)

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

If its free, it can't be that bad...
    Can it?

5. WilliamOttway

WilliamOttway New Member

Its £25 actually.. ;-) But no you are right, it can only be beneficial to attend these kind of events! :) :)

It is only sensible to ask the question, 'How good is the advice being given?'.

6. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Well its not free then...

Some of these events can be useful.
    But I also get a bit peed off about ones that are just there to fleece desperate applicants looking for the edge that will make a difference.

With it being £25, I suspect its one of the good ones...

7. WilliamOttway

WilliamOttway New Member

I suppose it's only natural to try and get the edge. I work really hard and invest a lot of resources into making sure I have the edge.

Thanks for your advise anyway, I will attend one of these courses and post back with how useful it was. Would be useful for other applicants I feel.

8. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Feed back is good. Getting to know the good sources is a godsend

9. DocQ

DocQ New Member

Hello everyone. Lol William, from a completely unbiased perspective, what I would say is that as with anything in life, you learn a great deal with experience. This is the third year in a row we're organising this event. Feedback the first year was great, the next year it was even better and this year we hope to make it better than ever as we happily take on board comments made by the students who attend. Judging purely from feedback, the event is hugely beneficial for prospective medical students, and at £25 its very reasonable compared to other courses out there.Tickets are selling fast! Book your tickets as soon as you can. The day will be invaluable in every way. Feel free to message me on here if you require any more info or alternatively ring me on 07502270638. Thanks

10. DocQ

DocQ New Member

FINAL Update! Its still not too late to apply for a place! Spaces have been filling up fast in recent weeks. In fact, we have now opened up some spaces for more! As its now the last week before the event and would be a hassle for you to send in a payment beforehand, to make it easier for you, if you apply now you can actually pay ON the day. However, it is imperative to do one (or both) of the following:
    a) email med-success@empower-youth.​org.uk to apply for a place and we will send you a confirmation email and/or
    b) ring me personally on the number below as soon as possible so that I can confirm a few details with you.
    Sumair Qureshi 075022 70638

Look forward to hearing from you soon! Don't hesitate to call me if you have any questions. I'm happy to help! It really will be an invaluable experience and in fact we've got MORE workshops planned than last years med-success! Don't miss out!

11. WilliamOttway

WilliamOttway New Member

DocQ - My guess is you've hardly got anyone signed up ;-)

12. snakefisch

snakefisch Member

I would definitely come, but it's in Leicester :(
    Do you want to do one in London DocQ? :D

13. DocQ

DocQ New Member

Hey folks. Final, last minute update. The event is tomorrow morning with registration for students being at 9am. There are still 3 spaces available on the course. If you are nearby Leicester, feel free to come and attend tomorrow. You will not need to bring the application form, but must pay on the day. For further information, ring Sumair Qureshi on 07502270638. Thanks.