Medicine at charles prague uni

Discussion in 'Current Medical Students' started by mass, Oct 5, 2006.

1. mass

mass New Member

Is this a good option if you dont get in in the uk, i heard theres tests each week.

2. kate999

kate999 New Member

There was an article in the student BMJ in July about Prague…

The course lasts 6 years, and is made up with 3 year’s pre-clinical sciences and three year’s clinical subjects.
    Attendance to lectures is compulsory, and if you miss too many- it can lead you towards being barred from your final exams.
    Self directed learning is encouraged, and complements the traditional teaching.
    The exams consist of a written, practical and oral component.
    During the course, it is necessary to gain additional credits which are needed for you to progress onto the next year. These can be gained through medicinal activities such as addition classes and teaching, or through non-medical activities- such as extracurricular activities.
    2 hours PE is compulsory in the pre-clinical years. There are also three hours of compulsory language lessons in the pre-clinical years. Also, there are many early starts, with some lectures beginning at 7.30 am!

Hope that helps!

3. Anthony0987

Anthony0987 New Member

anyone know roughly how much in fees for charles uni, and rough cost of expenses per week or year ? thanks

4. Renal

Renal New Member

No, no and no.

It's expensive and many, many British students apparently fail - most through language difficulties.

Resits and reapplications tend to be a better option.

5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I know a couple of years ago fees were about £7000 a year, I expect it has gone up a bit since then but not drastically. It will be on their website. Cost of living is meant to be very cheap.

6. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

that meks it a bargain then, macca. :(

7. kem

kem New Member

If you are willing to put in the effort you will come out a doctor, its a tough course though, and needs a lot of commitment. Should work out to around 10-12 00 a year with the living expenses.

8. jaffy

jaffy New Member

is anyone thinking of applying though ?

9. Krishna

Krishna New Member

i personally am not jaffy.. altho look around on the threads on this forum and there are other people applying there..
    as its in the EU..technically u shud be able to come back to England and work here.. however i have heard (and this may or may not be true) but i heard that job prospects are hard when you come back to england...all UK graduates whov been educated here take preference and its not easy to get a job coming back...

10. jaffy

jaffy New Member

i've heard that too actually , but i think i'm gonna consider it as a last resort because i had 4 rejections last year and if that happens again i don't want to take another gap year ,,, can't deal with it =l

11. Renal

Renal New Member

Any idea why you got four rejections...

12. Anthony0987

Anthony0987 New Member

yea same, i didnt apply last year but am taking a gap year and applying this time round. if i dont get in anywhere prague is a realistic proposition

13. charlie brown

charlie brown New Member

Hi,
    I might be applying to charles university too. It would be great if we had a student here from the university. My greatest hurdle there would be the language problem. Is this university any good?

14. mass

mass New Member

thats what i want to know, lets say 5 of us in this thread get into charles prague. We get through the first two years, then we cant learn the language, we get kicked out and then our life is wasted really!

15. charlie brown

charlie brown New Member

mass that sounds very much like my story at the moment, hopefully all is not wasted.

16. moh28

moh28 New Member

its a waste if time ...just look at there admission exams...its rock solid...and ya ve heard like ths many plp had gone but like 80% **** up and come back..the fees are like 6.5k a year plus living and remember U CANT GET A LOAN FROM THE STUDENTFINANCIAL COMPANY..ULL HAVE TO GO TO THE BANKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

17. Anthony0987

Anthony0987 New Member

hold on, is it compulsory to learn the language by year 3

18. chadtnl

chadtnl New Member

I think it might be

19. mass

mass New Member

you do have to have the language learnt by some stage. we need someone whos actually studied there on here!!

20. Renal

Renal New Member

I have finally met a grad from Prague.

Please don't.

For the love of all that is holy, don't.

I dunno whether to feel sorry for him, the SHO who has to cover his arse or his patients.