1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

medicine or dentistry 4 me?

Discussion in 'Dental School Admissions' started by muzzy, Dec 17, 2007.

1. muzzy

muzzy New Member

i cant decide between medicine and dentistry. medicne seeems to be the best degree in terms of academical achievement and a doctor is a better job in terms of where ranks compared to others, however dentistry is easier, so less chnace of taking a gap year as it is less competitive and i ahv that feeling dentistry is not very serious, as oxford and cambridge dont do it, is dentistry alot of hard work? so please people can u help me on this one?

2. Bananagirl

Bananagirl Guest

I cannot believe you said that dentistry doesn't seem to be a lot of hard work. That is insane. The work is just as hard as Medicine.
    They course are actually very similar in what you have to learn. You'll find that you share a lot of lectures together with the Medics. You don't just learn about the teeth and mouth, you learn about the whole body. It is actually said to be harder than Medicine.
    Not very serious?? How can I job where the pay is 100 grand a year not very serious???!!! Just cause Oxbridge aren't doing it, doesn't mean that it isn't important.
    Dentistry is competitive, probs not as competitive as medicine. But it's still hard to get into.
    So in answer to your question, don't do either until you research! It doesn't really seem like you've researched it enough... how do you know that you'll even like the course??

3. gapper31

gapper31 New Member

It seems like you're more concerned with the "social status" of being a doctor/dentist rather than the career. Mate, whichever one you choose is your decision...nobody on this forum can make the choice for you. It's your future. If you are looking for an 'easy' course then pick neither one. They both involve a lot of hard work and determination. You don't seem to be passionate about helping people (other than yourself). It doesn't matter if you don't get your degree from Oxbridge. If you want to make lots of money fast, go into business or something. At the end of the day, you want to wake up every morning knowing that you are doing something you love...not something you picked for the sake of it/the money/the prestige/because mummy and daddy want you to do it. If you do pick Medicine/Dentistry then be prepared to work your socks off, both academically and in terms of changing your attitude.

4. Darren A..

Darren A.. New Member

I agree with the above posts...you really shouldn't choose between a career in medicine or dentistry on the basis of which one will be easier. You don't have to read very far into any prospectus to find the words 'life-long learning', which, judging by your post, isn't something that you would be happy with.

5. link7881

link7881 New Member

I really can't decide for you. But I disagree that dentistry does not require hard work and is not serious. Dentistry and Medicine is more like similar. They both require hard work and both are serious courses. If you think that medicine is more fun to you then take medicine.

Scottsdale Dentists

6. postgrad

postgrad New Member

i cant believe you just said all that!!! you really have to do some research beofre you pick either of them. you obviously dont know much about either.

i have done dentistry and am now doing medicine so can comment on both. I have skipped the first 2 years of medicine because of my dental degree as i have covered the same. the things we are doing now, granted some of it is new, but there is also a lot that was covered in dentistry.

each course is what you make of it. for me so far dentistry was a lot more intense with more clinical and teaching time. but medicine you have to train to take someone life in your hands.

in all honesty who cares if oxbridge dont do it. if you are going to pick a degree only depending on whether or not oxbridge do it is very very sad!!!

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!

7. orlando2007

orlando2007 New Member

The fact that Oxford and Cambridge dont do dentistry is just historical.As a dentist is a basically a oral surgeon (BDS) and all surgeons were seen as a bit lowly universities didnt offer courses in surgery until the later part of the 19th century way after Oxford and Cambridge and other unis had started physcians courses it was physcians that trained at University.There was a hierachy of physcian,then surgeon then the bone setters /teeth pullers and barber surgeons the reason why barbers poles are red and white is they represent the blood and bandages.Also surgeons are called Mr instead of Doctor which was a sign of their once lowly thought of status but now I would say the reverse is true and surgery is often thought of as the career to aspire to in medicine.As the above posts have pointed out if your reason for doing medicine over dentistry is based on which uni offers courses dont do either as you arnt mature enough for either.

8. Kinkerz

Kinkerz Active Member

Not that this is relevant, since this post was made in 2007 (yes people, 18 months ago...), but if you do come back to this thread; go do an economics degree at a top university and go into some form of business. The way you've expressed things in your post suggests that neither medicine/dentistry are for you...

(not that I'm trying to stop you from applying; it's obviously your choice)

9. amritaarora01

amritaarora01 New Member

10. naz90

naz90 New Member

Dentistrys really competitive to get into and fewer unis do it than medicine so places are fewer too. kinda off topic but amritaarora isnt that a bollywood actress lol?

11. gmrbtw

gmrbtw New Member

I have a friend attending Tufts School of Dentistry and the workload is as arduous as any medical program. You should really be sure about your motivation and criteria for selecting a career path before making the incredible investment in time and money.

at home whitening
    whitening pen
    home teeth whiten