Men and Paediatrics? Is this considered Ethical?

ummmmm..

i'm sorry but is this a joke?? or half a joke???? any joking at all in this topic?????

you are asking if it is ETHICAL to have men working in paediatrics? it what way could it possibly not be 'ethical'??? I just cannot even believe someone is asking this question and getting calm measured responses!! this is not even a logical question to be asking!! are you suggesting that there is something about men which children should not have experience of? something bad about all people who happen to be male which would have an adverse affect on children or would put them in danger or an undesirable situation simply because the doctor is a MAN???

by the way, i'm not male, but really just so shocked that someone actually......ok i need to calm down, sorry. its just so ill-thought out!!!!

out of the entire population of humans on the planet, there are many and varied shades of bad and good behaviour. the worst and the best behaviour is indiscriminate between those the male and female type of human. it is humans who will commit crimes or do bad things, men and women...
...so are you saying that there is a characteristic which ALL men have which means that overall, it is not ethical to have them in the presence of children, while there is a characteristic which all women possess which means they are suitable for spending time with children??

how can you find the statement made by the people at the first dudes uni, (was it essex? ive forgotten) that it is "unethical for a young man to be considering a job with children" to be even an acceptable question??? dont even let it be said people!!!! i know loads of great, good, nice, men and boys where did this view come from that all men are inherently bad in some way?? (or is there some other reason why it is being suggested it is unethical for men to work with children?) anyway, of course there will be some bad people in the world but they will be men, and women, and certainly they wouldn't be doing the wrong thing just because they are men or just because they are women, but because they are humans!

i apologise for the very long and rather poorly expressed post, im sure if i let myself calm down a bit after reading it i could have come up with a far more concise and clear response. also its just a response its not like, an attack on anyone......i think it might have come across like that...but its not i just feel very strongly...anyway

isnt anyone else out there shocked?? am i the only one :confused:
if there is anyone who is shocked then surely we should express it or things will never change, attitudes will never change if they are not challenged! so say something!! lol

cheers

Last edited:

ManFromTheJam

In responce to "ummmmm..", I think you may have slightly misunderstood the point of this post and I am sorry if it has confused you a little:( .

In no way have I, or anybody here for that matter, posted opinions that men should not work with children or - for that matter - that women are better than men in the field. TO THE CONTRARY.

The proposed thread was asking if any young men considering paediatrics as a career have had any negative feedback from friends, family or institutions. It is considered by a VERY SMALL minority of people to be questionable. Why it is questionable I do not know, because to me it isn't.

This is in the same vain as Male Nurses, a few people consider it "oddball" for a young man to want to work with Children. There is nothing odd about it and this opinion, as you say, needs to be challenged :) .

I simply wanted to enquire whether other men have been asked the same questions. I for one have had some very odd remarks about paediatrics and I am certain I am not alone.

Hope that clears that up! :cool:

kormy

To be honest Im really surprised that you even get negative responses. Call me naiive its just that its a thought that ive never even considered when it cums to paeds. My dad has been working in paeds since like forever and whenever i meet friends from his department more than half are men and i dont think any issue has been raised in him treating children because of his gender. If you genuinely have an interest in working with children (personally i would rather stick rusty nails in my eyes!) then definitely go for it! I would be really surprised if you ever came across a patients parents who didnt want you to treat their child because you were male.

ummmmm..

Arghh!! I wrote a reply and then clicked somethingorother and the window went back two pages and I lost it. :confused: So anyway, I wasn't aiming it directly at anyone though I did use the words "..so are you saying...??" lol, which kind of does direct it at people..oops, just in the rush of saying things didnt think properly and didnt express things properly.

I know the purpose was to find out others opinions/experiences, but you asked the question "Men and Paediatrics? Is it considered Ethical?" and you also asked peoples opinions!!! so i just responded to the above question (with shock that that view was held by anyone at all and) and also gave my opinion on it (also shock lol), so when i said is this a joke? i meant is it a joke that there is even a question to be asked, i meant are you serious that someone actually thinks it is unethical

I just also thought that if that question needed to be asked (the question in the title of the post), then there must have been some small part of you that believed what those people you know said, that: "unethical for a young man to be considering a job with children" and that it would be: "unwise to even consider this seriously". And if you completely didn't think that was utter nonsense lol, then you must be kind of half-swayed into thinking they were right.......in which case i took it upon myself to rant on for half a page to the opposite view lol which i have managed to do again......ok this will be my last post!

sorry!

hope no one ever has an issue made of their gender ever in their medical careers (nor in any other part of their lives!)

Last edited:

The Guitarist

You should definitely go for paediatrics if that's what you feel you'd be best at. There is no way that they can stop you, and indeed it's a lot less dodgy than gynaecology (sp?). Why doesn't anyone raise objections to male gynaeos (again sp?).

sweetie-pie

They do pose objection to male gynaecologists - thats why it is now and has been for quite a few years now, necessary to have female chaperones in intimate examinations - and as the RCOG reported in its careers paper in Feb, the number of male medical students refused permission to carry out (supervised and chaperoned) intimate examinations compared to females who are hardly ever refused.
Ethically there is nothing wrong with either gynaecologists, or paediatricians being male, female, whatever, just in some patients minds it should be a female thing - somehow starngely seen as more caring with children, which is obviously daft.

jay-mob

Well its not different in geriatrics, I was on a shift as a aux nurse, and the patient wanted to have a female aux shaperone, and the doctors did not even asked me to do anything afterwards which had anything to do with taking of clothes of patients, however it depends just this friday I had a shift and the doctor was a aux nurse, and he even helped me out with some stuff so that was even funny.

Gray

I can understand the worries you're having about being male and wanting to go into Paeds. I am a first year medstudent and the placement (despite being sent home early and not really seeing much) that I felt most 'at home' during was my Paeds one. I really think its the speciality for me.

My worries are that I'm a gay male, and I think that might make people react differently. I know its not really going to come up in typical conversation with a patient, but I'm just slightly worried about the reactions of people.

I'd especially love to work with babies and toddlers, but I'd hate to think a few reactionary extremists out there would accuse me of 'influencing' their children or anything ridiculous like that. I don't think its going to put me off going for the speciality (if this is how I still feel in 4 years time and providing I pass), but it is a source of worry.

ummmmm.. said:
i'm sorry but is this a joke?? or half a joke???? any joking at all in this topic?????

you are asking if it is ETHICAL to have men working in paediatrics? it what way could it possibly not be 'ethical'??? I just cannot even believe someone is asking this question and getting calm measured responses!! this is not even a logical question to be asking!! are you suggesting that there is something about men which children should not have experience of? something bad about all people who happen to be male which would have an adverse affect on children or would put them in danger or an undesirable situation simply because the doctor is a MAN???

by the way, i'm not male, but really just so shocked that someone actually......ok i need to calm down, sorry. its just so ill-thought out!!!!

out of the entire population of humans on the planet, there are many and varied shades of bad and good behaviour. the worst and the best behaviour is indiscriminate between those the male and female type of human. it is humans who will commit crimes or do bad things, men and women...
...so are you saying that there is a characteristic which ALL men have which means that overall, it is not ethical to have them in the presence of children, while there is a characteristic which all women possess which means they are suitable for spending time with children??

how can you find the statement made by the people at the first dudes uni, (was it essex? ive forgotten) that it is "unethical for a young man to be considering a job with children" to be even an acceptable question??? dont even let it be said people!!!! i know loads of great, good, nice, men and boys where did this view come from that all men are inherently bad in some way?? (or is there some other reason why it is being suggested it is unethical for men to work with children?) anyway, of course there will be some bad people in the world but they will be men, and women, and certainly they wouldn't be doing the wrong thing just because they are men or just because they are women, but because they are humans!

i apologise for the very long and rather poorly expressed post, im sure if i let myself calm down a bit after reading it i could have come up with a far more concise and clear response. also its just a response its not like, an attack on anyone......i think it might have come across like that...but its not i just feel very strongly...anyway

isnt anyone else out there shocked?? am i the only one :confused:
if there is anyone who is shocked then surely we should express it or things will never change, attitudes will never change if they are not challenged! so say something!! lol

cheers
100% compltly agree wid wot u wrote.......
why are ethics/morals involved in "a young man" (or perhaps an "old" man) wanting to work wid kids...... so wots next? is it ethical for a father/grand-father 2 b left alone with his kids/grand-kids!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! yep, they should b constantly monitored by the social-services n b imprisoned for life if a child cries in their care.... u jst never know hai

such a cynical society we live in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lets embed back som faith in human nature

Ajelladitsa

This advice sounds totally ridiculous to me, I am a mother and most (some 80%) of the paediatrician I've met were men..and nobody, least of all me, seemed to have a problem with it. I Suggest you just ignore it..

but btw, if you are interested in both paediatrics and neurology, why not become a paediatric neurologist? nowadays lots of kids have problems with seizures or development issues, and I'm sure the speciality is going to be in demand.

it's always sweet to hear of a man who likes children! :)

KevFearon

I have to agree with the outraged amongst you who feel this is a non-issue of the highest order. Taken to its logical conclusion the very idea would mean that men should not be involved in the care of children full stop. Teachers? Scout Leaders? The Sea Cadets? Utter nonsense, parodied excellently in the brilliant dark animated series "Monkey Dust" (Peado-finder General?!)

Come on dude, even by allowing this topic air time we're adding fuel to an imaginary fire.

Right, I'm off to interfere with my gerbils.

ManFromTheJam

I have to agree with Kev now, at the end of the day, and sort of draw my question to a close. It seems the small minded are very few and far between, and it is these misinformed few and not I who has the problem. And yes Paediatric Neurology is an absolute; I have a particular interest in Myasthenia Gravis in Children. Best wishes all, there is nothing left to debate! :D

Bex x

Godofsmallthingys said:
i am sure none of us here would refuse treatment on the basis of gender - alright maybe some logical ones... - sexuality or other criteria
What?!

What you're saying is it's OK to refuse to let a gay doctor treat you but not a doctor of the opposite sex. Why? Why is it worse for a gay doctor of the same sex as you than for a straight doctor of the opposite sex? As a lesbian medic this opinion REALLY scares me. I can understand that some uneducated patients might think this, but other medics?! There's no hope if other people in the profession think this way...

So based on this argument, is it ethical for gay people to become paediatricians? If not, why not?

Le Pom

to be fair, when i went to a paediatric oncology clinic to observe the paediatrician....he was...wel how do i put it....awful!!!!!!

the children were not comfortable. there were so many silences, he didnt know what to say....all he said was...'how are you?'. listened to their chest, wrote a bunch of notes whilst he kept them waiting, then......said goodbye.

i mean these kids are suffering from cancer! or are recovering! and he couldnt even give them a warm welcoming...like a smile for instance.

i just wanted to hug them!

but as for the sex, it doesnt matter, so long as they can dotheir job.

pffff....it really annoys me. but that is another story so to speak.

Mattie

I have to say that a man becoming a paediatrician is NOT ridiculous at all. I know where you are coming from slightly as some people I know think its odd that baby-sit for kids. I see nothing wrong with this: its just great fun spending time with kids, and it gives you a chance to act like a kid yourself! I say go for it, however you are likely to change your mind many times once you start your medical training and also I think that paediatrics is a very competitive specialty to go into.

Le Pom

i do not think it is outrageous. i met a paediatric theother day andhe was great with the kids.
the first one i met was very queer.
:D
paediatrics all the way!!!!!!!!!

Oh my, there are so many negative comments. I worked in paediatrics for around four to five years and loads of our doctors were male. There was very little difference in the way doctors of different genders work, and for the majority, I only ever saw doctors that showed a genuine concern for their patients.

As it currently stands, I only see one reason for doctors wanting to be paediatricians, and that is that they don't really want to grow up!!! Paediatrics was a fun and exciting place to work, and the doctors and staff that I worked with there over the years, were the ones who influenced my decision to want to become a doctor, and yes in paeds. I am not male, so I can't really comment about male views, but I think that men in paeds is cool.

After all, if you had a teenage boy coming in with certain conditions, he might not want a woman looking at him. How would you feel as a teenage boy, if everyone in your ward was female. You might like it, but you might also feel intimidated. I think it is good for everyone to work together. At the end of the day, it is the quality of doctor you make, not what gender or speciality.

G

gnrcrook

what the hell??????? Is this some kind of joke post? Man from the Jam.... look I won't insult you but are you for real? Are you sure the people that you are working with didn't think you meant O+G?

S Knights

It might be difficult to get a reply on this one, since the tread has not been active for almost a year! :)

(As an aside, I'm a man and I want to go into O&G... not because I particularly enjoy looking at genitals - male OR female - but because I find the disorders interesting, and hope I could be quite good at it. I don't think it's unethical or odd in the least.)

Last edited: