mention your child in UCAS personal statement?

Discussion in 'Parents at Medical School' started by junophil, Jun 17, 2013.

1. junophil

junophil New Member

Hi all,

did any of you become parents BEFORE application, and if so did you mention about your child/ren in your UCAS statement and got offers/interviews?

I have been a single mum and working my ass off to get through my current degree, it has been truely an inspiration and a strong motivation to succeed and I have done well so far. I am wondering if I should avoid mentioning about my son when I write my personal statement....

2. dotvicky

dotvicky New Member

I definitely mentioned them in both my application rounds. In my first round I got 2/2 rejections, in my second round I got 3/4 offers. :D I would say that it's less to do with whether you mention them or not (although I would argue that not mentioning such a key part of your life would excluding a little too much of the 'truth') and more to do with how you paint your experiences and life to date in relation to studying for medicine.

So, the way you describe your kids as an inspiration is great and definitely a positive. Also draw on all your experiences as a mum (especially a single mum) describing how you are incredibly organised, hard-working and have demonstrated huge commitment to your chosen career already. I would also definitely describe how you plan to manage the workload of medicine with a child as well though. How will you manage practically, financially and emotionally with the demands of mummy-hood and med school.

Cheers
    Vicky

3. junophil

junophil New Member

thanks vicky for your reply! gosh you must be so busy managing everything with 2 kids!! but well done :)

I think I will mention about motherhood experience as a part of my personal life which motivates me to do what i do now and what I would like to do in future (becoming a doctor! ;))

I am new to the forum and have a bunch of questions. will probably ask them in another thread..

thanks
    juno