1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"minimum grades BBB"

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by ra49, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ra49

ra49 New Member

This might sound like a silly question, but...

...I have A levels in Biology (A) Chemistry (B) and Physics (C). Physics was ONE mark off a B :(

I've also got a 65% 2.1 Psychology BSc, UKCAT average of 657.5 (dragged down considerably by AR. Doom), working as an HCA, shadowing in various places, volunteering, blah. Which might direct some of the focus off the dreaded C grade...?

Would A levels of ABC not be considered..? Like, do they not like C-grades..? Sorry if it's stupid. Thanks for any input. I feel like I might explode with med school application related stress pretty soon.

2. kizdxb

kizdxb New Member

1. Universities give more emphasis on achieved degrees so a 2.1 is fine for all.
    2. they will look at A-level grades but will not be expected to to achieve AAA-AAB, it is normally BBB-ABC, which is what you have, some even accept lower.
    3. Your work experiance seems ok, but i don't think 'blah is the right word.

Overall i think you have a chance like anyone else.
    (PS www.medschoolonline.com or .co.uk ) is a very good site

3. ra49

ra49 New Member

I know 'blah' isn't the right word...It's just that I'm beyond worrying about that now. Heh. Yeah medschoolsonline is good for giving outlines. It's just the grades thing that was getting to me. I've heard different things from different people. I'm hoping it won't matter as my A and B were in biology and chemistry.

Cheers :D

4. Kinkerz

Kinkerz Active Member

If you're really bothered about it, e-mail the medical schools that you're wanting to apply to. They'll give you the answer that you're craving...

Good Luck!

5. icecream

icecream New Member

You will have to check individual websites for the unis you are interested in, some will have ABB-BBB requirements even for graduates with 2.1 or 1sts (i.e UCL, IC etc). However, there are also unis which only take the degree into account (i.e warwick).

6. dailey

dailey New Member

I really wouldn't worry at all about your A-levels, they look fine to me for any grad applicant as long as you pick your choices wisely!

My A-levels were FAR worse and i got 4 interviews and a (very late) offer :)

7. The-mayan-prophecy

The-mayan-prophecy New Member

xxx

#7 The-mayan-prophecy, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  8. Mad Max

Mad Max New Member

Dailey and Mayan, may I ask what your A-Levels were? Mine aren't particularly good either considerably worse than the OP.

9. newcmed85

newcmed85 New Member

im confused as to why u mentioned this if ure looking to apply this cycle, as this was all last year. u cant use this score again. did u apply in ure honours year and not get an offer or something? if u did then u hav to take the test again; theyre only valid for a year.

but to answer ure actual question, ure a levels will be fine for some (warwick, newcastle) and not for others (liverpool, ucl). jst gotta check the unis

10. Confuzzled_M.D

Confuzzled_M.D New Member

I have ABC A-level grades too, I think it was UCL who wanted a BBB and I wrote to them about it and they said it was perfectly fine as the A would cancel out the C and the tarrif points are the same so your ABC is fine! (Also doing a degree in Psychology YAY)

11. dailey

dailey New Member

I only have 2 A2s B and D, and 1 AS a C. So a whole 200 UCAS points lol, about the same as getting DDD at A2.

When they say they don't consider A-levels for grads they really mean it, I got 4 interviews and an offer (eventually). I really wouldn't let poor A-levels put you off as long as you research the schools you apply to and pick them wisely and then get that magic 2:1! :)

12. Mad Max

Mad Max New Member

Cheers Dailey, may I ask where you applied?