Neurology vs neurosurgery

cat_221089

Are there any neurologists who have been tempted by neurosurgery, or vice versa? I know that they are vastly different specialties, but being someone interested in neurosciences I am still finding difficulty deciding between them, despite having done rotations in both (I'm a final yr med student now). None of the surgeons or neurologists I've spoken to so far have admitted to ever contemplating the other specialty. It seems to have always been a definitive core medic or surgery choice.
I've read several things online from neurosurgeons, basically saying if you are having doubts already, choose neurology. But so far I have yet to meet a neurologist who has actually wanted to be a neurosurgeon before.
How did you ever decide between the two if it was ever a predicament? I am about to apply for FY jobs, and there doesn't seem to be many rotations that include both for comparison.. Would be interesting to see what other people's views are :)
Thanks

!

Are there any neurologists who have been tempted by neurosurgery, or vice versa? I know that they are vastly different specialties, but being someone interested in neurosciences I am still finding difficulty deciding between them, despite having done rotations in both (I'm a final yr med student now). None of the surgeons or neurologists I've spoken to so far have admitted to ever contemplating the other specialty. It seems to have always been a definitive core medic or surgery choice.
I've read several things online from neurosurgeons, basically saying if you are having doubts already, choose neurology. But so far I have yet to meet a neurologist who has actually wanted to be a neurosurgeon before.
How did you ever decide between the two if it was ever a predicament? I am about to apply for FY jobs, and there doesn't seem to be many rotations that include both for comparison.. Would be interesting to see what other people's views are :)
Thanks
Firstly, although stating the obvious, one is a medical specialty, the other is a surgical one.
The job is vastly different. Neurosurgery (aka brain surgery), there is less mystery in some ways - you get referred a brain tumour to cut out, or repair some discs.
Neurology involves the ancient art of clinical accumen and focuses heavily on diagnosis (often of rare disorders, or at least the search of). Although invariably everyone gets an MRI, LP and neurophysiology done.