1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next step after rejection.

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by Tuatha, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Tuatha

Tuatha New Member

Hi,

I'm in the final year of my A-levels. Expected A* Biology, Chemistry A and Psychology A. As well as an A in Human Biology.

I already have an A in an EPQ too.

I had good UKCAT score too. Above average - all 650 and above. And scored top band on Sit Judgement.

But, it took me 4-years (through no fault of my own, but original college not delivering Chemistry course promised so went elsewhere after 2-years) and I'm 31-years old. I've just been rejected by all the universities I've applied. Now I don't know what to do? From what I gather doing A-levels over that period of time didn't meet the entry requirements.

Due to children and a husband with a job I don't have the ability to move around the country trying different universities or hoping for a clearing at some other part of the UK. Due my age I don't really want to apply as a graduate. I really want to work directly with people, and not in a laboratory - but I could look at other medical positions.

I'm upset that I've working so hard to get those entry requirements, but I might not get to where I want to be.

The other degree I applied for was biomedical and I've applied for a Foundation for Clinical Sciences at Bradford (entry to medicine), which might mean medicine isn't ruled out. But, I'm not holding my breath and also Bradford is 2-hours away and throws huge balls in the air about commuting and moving.

What do I do now? What is my next-step? I could give-up, I could work towards a high position in nursing, but admittedly I'm less drawn to nursing (not due to pay, but I'm attracted to the diagnostic side, especially the more complex areas, and I'm afraid of feeling a lack of control or in the wrong shoes in a hospital environment). If my heart isn't there, then it seems stupid. I'm definitely more attracted to doing a biology/biomedical degree.

2. richadam

richadam Member

Did you contact the University admissions people prior to application to explain? May be worth a shot...

I guess it depends on how much this means to you. I'm not a romantic. I'm very aware that there are other, very good options out there if all of this doesn't materialise.

I completed a degree at Business School, went to work in London, didn't last long before realising I wanted to work in healthcare (though I wasn't quite sure doing what at the time). I got a job as HCA for a couple of years, applying for medicine alongside it. Didn't work out for me. At 25 I was beginning to get concerned about my future so I considered other options. I did an access to Physiotherapy course at night and am just finishing my final exams of the degree next week. I've absolutely loved it and know that a career as a Physio will be awesome. But something is definitely missing. I know that I will never really be 100% content if I don't give it another shot. So at 28, with 6 years of Undergraduate study under my belt, I plan on giving it a few more attempts.

I'm now in a position where I'm considering the GAMSAT. I started studying for it before, but in all honesty, didn't think I was up to it. The Physio syllabus was much more biology/physiology based than I expected, which I guess has potentially set me up for a decent attempt at it - who knew Physios had to analyse ABG's, Chest Xrays and learn to Auscultate? I didn't before hand!

Don't give up. If it's really what you want, then keep going. It may be worth though, like you seem to be doing, considering other options. Because there really are many wonderful healthcare-related careers that come with lots of autonomy, clinical assessment and reasoning requirements (Physio being one of them!)