Paragraphs in PS

Discussion in 'Personal Statements and UCAS forms' started by oldskool, Nov 1, 2005.

1. oldskool

oldskool New Member

When I go on UCAS apply and view my application I have spaces in between the paragraphs of my Personal statement. Yet, when I go onto the application of UCAS track my application has no paragraphs. It's all one big block of text.

It may seem like nothing, but the PS without any paragraphs looks much more messy and unprofessional. Also, my paragraphs are very important as they signal a change in subject. e.g. I have the first paragraph about what initially drew me to medicine, then the second paragraph about how I have got involved in medicine etc.

Does anyone know which version of the application the unis get to see, the UCAS apply one or the UCAS track one?

I suppose at the end of the day everyone is in the same boat, but I found, without the paragraphs, my PS does not seem to flow anything like as well.

#1 oldskool, Nov 1, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  2. Shehna

Shehna New Member

My PS is just a block of solid text on track, on apply though it has paragraphs. The uni's get the one on apply i think.

3. cynical one

cynical one New Member

so is mine...

4. Fenixxor

Fenixxor New Member

Oh dear god, do you honestly think universities are going to reject you based on a lack of spaces between paragraphs on your personal statement when they know that the number of lines is a limiting factor? This topic has come up about 10 times today and its really starting to get on my nerves.

5. The Caretaker

The Caretaker New Member

well if the unis think you are incapable of something as basic as paragraphing then yes, it would be a valid reason to discount you. after all, medicine is VERY competitive!

[edit] although i suppose if everyone had no paragraphs...

still paragraphs add that little bit extra to your P.S

6. Fenixxor

Fenixxor New Member

Oh dont be stupid.

7. peaceful_blossom

peaceful_blossom New Member

Its the same for everyone. Noting to worry about, and I'm sure uni wont reject you just because you have no lines in between paragraphs.

I know its a stressful time but calm down and relax, all the best :)

8. peaceful_blossom

peaceful_blossom New Member

I know maybe people who got offers even though they had no spaces between paragraphs.

9. Shehna

Shehna New Member

Who u calling stupid? Uni's do anything to reject you. If yo uhave two people, excellent grades......everything spot on....but ones PS is messed who would you give the place to??? See not so stupid after all!

10. Fenixxor

Fenixxor New Member

The one who performed better in interview.

11. Fenixxor

Fenixxor New Member

I certainly wouldnt judge something so important on the presence (or lack of) paragraphs in something that is usually filled of as much writing each person can get into the statement as possible.

12. Shehna

Shehna New Member

But they do!!! I know it might be harsh but why do people put so much emphasis on your PS! If everyone made spelling mistakes etc and got in, we would all be doing it!

13. sumone

sumone New Member

Guys I phoned UCAS today and they confirmed that the unis have recieved the original copy (the one which we can see on ONLINE APPLY) of our statement so if you did have spacings between each para then they will have the ps with those spacing.

So no need to worry about it. Hope that helps :)

14. Shehna

Shehna New Member

So your telling me....that after reading tonns of PS all day......and coming across one which has no spaces and is full with spelling errors...you'd give this person a place on a med course!!!!!!!

15. Sin

Sin New Member

well its an eyesore otherwise

now if you were a uni tutor having to read through 1500 PS's would you prefer to read through a big blob of text with no clear definition of what topics are where or a nicely paragraphed statement with clear outlines

they are going to pay more attention to what you say if they can see and read through the statement more easily, and maybe will be more inclined to give you an interview

it may not be much, but in this process every little bit helps. So its a useful thing to do IMO, no need to get so stressed out though.

16. Sin

Sin New Member

:p
    snap

17. Shehna

Shehna New Member

18. AtheJ

AtheJ New Member

Hilarious stuff guys! Thanks.

whilst you're fretting over stuff you can't do anything about, millions of med school wannabee's are out there studying and stealing your lunch.

19. Shehna

Shehna New Member

We're not fretting over dumb stuff! Why did u even bother to reply you just wasted precious thread space!

20. The Caretaker

The Caretaker New Member

hello? has noone read this??? stop worrying!!!!