1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perth College - Pathway to Medicine Access Course

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by PTMNO1, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mikearbroath

mikearbroath New Member

Hi Nick, congrats on your interview!

I was really nervous going into mine too, but it was actually very relaxed. Rob and Mary are very welcoming! With regards to interview questions, i'm not sure exactly what will be asked obviously.. but they will want to know about your life experiences so far: the successes, the lessons learned etc, be reflective. Also they will want to know why you want to be a doctor and what being a doctor today involves. They will want to know that you've researched the course fully, so have a good read of the curriculum on the St Andrews site, and the list of modules for the Perth course listed on page 1 of this topic.

As for the "top 5", they're actually doing away with that system for the forthcoming year so in some ways you are actually in a better position. The top 5 actually puts a lot of pressure on the students and staff.. so students in the 2013/2014 intake will just have to pass the course with 70% in each of the 6 listed modules and then you will automatically be presented to St Andrews for a second interview. The outcome of the second interview will then determine your progress on the the medical course.

Hope this helps. good luck!

Michael

2. DrMcNicky

DrMcNicky New Member

Hi there, thank you for your reply and congratulations on getting onto the course!
    I'm actually quite disappointed to hear there is no 'top 5' because I'm assuming that means there are no guaranteed places for St Andrews? :( Moreover, does this not mean that we'll be treated like all other applicants and selection will be based on the UKCAT score mostly? It would be amazing if they changed it so that everyone who passes with 70% in each subject and interviews well gets a place but I highly doubt that would be the case! :)

Best Wishes,

Nick

3. mikearbroath

mikearbroath New Member

St Andrews will still take on up to 5 students from Perth, but this time it will be based on performance in the pathway course, UKCAT, recommendation from Perth and the 2nd interview. Whereas previously, if you missed out on the top 5 by even 1% then you were automatically out of the running.. with this system as long as you pass you will be in with a shot :)

4. DrMcNicky

DrMcNicky New Member

Oh I understand!
    So does this mean that the UKCAT is now less of a formality and that it'll now be a very important factor?
    Sorry for all the questions this is just new information to me! lol :)
    Nick

5. mikearbroath

mikearbroath New Member

I'm not sure how much weight the UKCAT will carry unfortunately. I just know that they take into account your perth performance, UKCAT and second interview. If you were carrying out volunteer work in hospital throughout the year I'd imagine that would be a massive plus though

Mike

6. bubz.00

bubz.00 New Member

Is there anybody floating about on here that is joining the 2013/2014 intake?

7. DrMcNicky

DrMcNicky New Member

Hey there :) I accepted my unconditional for the course last week for this year's intake. Congrats on your offer, if you have any questions feel free to PM me! :)
    Nick

8. addy123

addy123 New Member

Hi DrMcNicky

Congratulations on the offer. What are the main questions that you were asked?
    Is St Andrew only taking a specific number of students or anyone that passes the course with relevant marks to progress?
    If a student fails the UKCAT and passes on all other criteria, will St Andrews still accept the candidate?

I look forward to you reply.

9. bubz.00

bubz.00 New Member

Hi DrMcNicky,

Happy to hear I'll have somebody else on the course with me haha! Are you living in Perth or will you be commuting up to the course through the week? Congrats on the offer and I look forward to meeting you!

-Bubz

10. DrMcNicky

DrMcNicky New Member

Hi there.
    Having spoken to the majority of this year's applicants who were lucky enough to get to the interview stage, I'd say that the interview questions vary to an extent depending on your application. For example, I know of someone who was in their interview for an hour this year whereas I was only in for a half hour and was convinced I wasn't successful! Turned out it was because this particular person hadn't submitted a CV and I had, so first of all don't be discouraged by how long your interview is. With regards to the questions that are asked, although they vary for each application to an extent, everyone is asked why they want to do medicine, what they've been doing up until now, what they know about the medicine course and are asked to give examples of experiences from their work experience that indicate they're reflective. So I would say, if you can show that you can be reflective on your work experience, have a clear idea of why you want to do medicine and have a knowledge of the medicine course then you're very likely to get a place. Although the interview is formal, it's a LOT less formal than you'd think.
    As far as I'm aware St Andrew's has five places still reserved. If you pass each unit with 70% and score 'reasonably' in the UKCAT then you'll be presented to St Andrew's for a second interview. According to Mary from St Andrew's, the UKCAT cut off will be lower than St Andrew's cut off of 675+ for Perth students, but all students that are to progress will be expected to perform 'reasonably.' So I'd say if you get between 580-620 and get 70% in each unit you'll be in with a shout!
    Have you been given your interview date yet? :)
    Best Wishes,
    Nick

11. DrMcNicky

DrMcNicky New Member

Hi Bubz! :) I'm not sure what's happening yet! Depends if I can get accomodation on campus. If I can't then I'll be driving there! :( Any idea how many people will be on the course this year? :)

12. bubz.00

bubz.00 New Member

That makes two of us! I think I will be commuting as it just doesnt make sense for us to relocate when I have train access within reasonable disctance. I havent heard anything about attendees! The action on the forums have been quite dry compared to previous years. I'm going to be calling the college fairly soon to get some things clarified, I'll try to get some indication of class size when I do. For now it's UKCAT revision and the exciting termination of my full time employment (very excited for this one haha)!

13. mikearbroath

mikearbroath New Member

I believe they normally admit between 10 and 15 people onto the pathway course. We had 12 in my year. Also, supposedly they receive around 400 applications for the course each year, so if you've received an offer then you've already done really well :)