1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perth College - Pathway to Medicine Access Course

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by PTMNO1, Jun 8, 2009.

1. nicolajane1978

nicolajane1978 New Member

Hi Frangelico, how did you get on with your access course that you got onto? You still on it?

To be honest, I kinda agree with what you said, when I contacted Rob Boyd to ask for feedback, he started off saying that he understands how disappointed I am but there were just better suited candidates than me. I wasn't really happy with that response so I said that I wanted to know if there was anything I could have done differently as I was planning to re-apply next year, he said I was welcome to reapply next year then paused for a bit before coming up with the fact that it was a joint decision between himself and St Andrews uni and it was felt that I didn't connect well in the interview and I showed a lack if empathy. I think I actually put him on the spot as got told from Aileen in admissions that she had a letter for me (so he had probably only made the decision that morning), I asked her to tell me the decision which she did, then I phoned him, so this was all in the space of about 30 mins....I really don't think he expected me to contact him for feedback that quick.

Since then, I've asked to be reconsidered (desperate, I know, but thought it was worth a try due to the fact there are always places left in UCAS clearing) and been told that: "The rigourous selection process is to gauge the potential to progress to becoming a doctor whether spaces are filled or not" that is a direct quote. So it seems they are really looking for genuine candidates who will see it out, and aren't caring about the money they get from filling the course, which is a good thing. Although not for us who don't get on the course when there are places left...lol

Fran, not sure of the ratio applicants to interviews but I know this year they got over 200 apps for 15 places, spoke to someone on the Pathway facebook page who said that out of the 8 people interviewed in her batch, she was the only one successful, so take from that what you will.

They are also thinking about making the UKCAT part of the app process sometime in the future due to the competition level now.

Sorry to go on, but hope that helps

2. AlmaSomerville

AlmaSomerville New Member

My references just won't send their replies. I am petrified I don't get in because of this! How many have got in so far that we know of? this is so sickening.

3. nicolajane1978

I wouldn't worry about how many have got in, like I said earlier, Rob stated to me that its about potential to become a doctor and not making sure the course is full, so I guess even if they see only 2 or 3 as suitable candidates they will go ahead with the course.

The only thing with your references being held up is that your decision is being held up, if that makes sense. Do you have anyone else who could give you references? If you do, I would contact admissions and get them to send forms to them. Or go into the college if you can and speak to Aileen and explain the situation.

4. frangelico

frangelico New Member

My main reasons were lack of chemistry meaning my slight hesitation in interview was more picked up on, this was for last year. I was told there were 10 places by one person and now you're saying there's 15? I meant the straight answer in reference to the amount of applicants who get interviews, I felt Dr Boyd answered as fully as he could on my feedback but I appreciate some comments like hesitation are a bit ambiguous.

5. nicolajane1978

Hey, it was admissions who told me there were 15 places, they actually saide there were 15 -20 places, so I guess they can be flexible if there are a lot of suitable applicants

6. AlmaSomerville

Yeah, I appreciate this but if all 15/10 have been informed of a place then I know that I don't have a place, so always good to keep an eye on! oh so Frangelico, was that your application this year or last year you recieved that feedback?

7. nicolajane1978

Last week, only I had been informed as they had only received references back from me so thats how I got my decision :), I honestly think if all the places have been filled (which they haven't been for the past couple of years) you would have had a letter saying the course was full. They were still taking applications right into the start of the course last year. Frangelico applied last year and was unsuccessful but got on another access course...hope that help you and I'm sure you'll be fine...:)

8. nicolajane1978

I should have said aswell, I have no idea how may applicants get interviewed, Admissions just said to me that if your form, CV,personal statement, etc meet the criteria then your form is passed to Rob and he decides based on that who to interview, I got the impression there is no set number, just who they deem as suitable. I could be wrong though...:)

9. Iluminari

Iluminari New Member

There were 13 at the start of this year. 11 remain with 2 exams to go. The competition just got harder :p

10. frangelico

frangelico New Member

Is the performance on the course close or are there 5 clear highest achievers...a low drop out rate indeed!

11. AlmaSomerville

Boom Baby!

Hey,
    So.....I got my place! I don't know how many people are on this forum BUT Just thinking about a house share! anyone interested? will be soo much cheaper.

12. nicolajane1978

Congrats!! So glad one of use got in...maybe you could share your interview technique with me for next year??...lol...:)

13. bubz.00

bubz.00 New Member

Still waiting to hear back on my late application. I received the confirmation email at the beginning of April. It has been a month and I've heard nothing. Would anybody consider this worrying? I'm tempted to email Dr. Boyd to ask if the application is still being reviewed or when I should expect to hear back.

Alma: Strictly on a pre-emptive strike, if I am offered a place at Perth I would definitely be looking for a house share! I will keep in touch as the month goes fourth.

Best!

14. AlmaSomerville

;)

Sounds cracking! Keep me informed! Is there any other forums pr places I can do my thayng? Try any get a few together!

15. bubz.00

bubz.00 New Member

I know I shouldn't be this excited but I got offered an interview and I'm buzzin!! Mirror mirror on the wall, please don't respond if I'm asking you questions! haha

I think I've got a firm idea of what is going to be asked of me at the interview but since you have gone through the process, do you have any tips for me AlmaSomerville?

Hopefully more good news after the interview!

X

16. DrPhil

DrPhil New Member

Got an interview next Thursday (applied and was given interview last year also, all hell broke loose, long boring story..)

Got a very interesting journey up to Perth from the south coast of kent. Should be fun!

Good luck to anyone else who has an interview coming up!

17. bubz.00

bubz.00 New Member

Dr Phil, ill see you on Thursday sir. Ill be in a Grey suit with brown shoes.

Cheers and good luck!

18. AlmaSomerville

Hey Bubz, firstly I apologize for long time before reply, im busy rececently, he asked ALOT of previous course questions and just questions about my history, she asked about ethical questions and the like. I can't seem to return a private message im doing all on my phone, So sorry I couldn't reply to all your messages guys. Bubz youre a clever boy im sure, so the basics are covered, but just make sure you try and enjoy the interview. Don't be panicked by the lady! She's a little suprising and straight laced, but just have a relaxed interview. Hope you the best.

Alma

19. DrPhil

DrPhil New Member

Just got back from my 1000 mile round trip to Perth! :D

20. DrPhil

DrPhil New Member

Was a good interview, nothing too challenging! Hard to give advice about it as a majority of it was made up of just asking about your history, what you've done, what you've learnt from it. Making sure you know what you're getting yourself in for! :D

Dr Boyd is very friendly and welcoming. Perth and the college itself seem very pleasant. They have a massive Asda up there, which could come in handy! haha

They've told me they need to hear from my references before I hear anything... that sounds positive, unless they do that with everyone they interview? Dont want to get my hopes up too much. The waiting is always the worst part isnt it? And I've only been waiting for less than 24 hours....